Growlers Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Growlers Den

Carolina Panthers Football

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» CALLING ALL PANTHER FANS
Panthers making most of cameos EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:28 pm by JohnDeezy89

» IT's Alive!!!!
Panthers making most of cameos EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:25 pm by JohnDeezy89

» SAINTS: Ten things to look for when New Orleans Saints minicamp begins next weekend
Panthers making most of cameos EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:25 am by PanthersRowell

» Colt Freaks - site for Colts fans
Panthers making most of cameos EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:19 am by PanthersRowell

» The Sports Zone
Panthers making most of cameos EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:16 am by PanthersRowell

» My article: Defensive Tackles
Panthers making most of cameos EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:14 am by PanthersRowell

» Hi Everybody!
Panthers making most of cameos EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:07 am by PanthersRowell

» Panthers add Newton (sore shoulder) to injury report as probable
Panthers making most of cameos EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:05 pm by RayRay

» As Panthers' Smith climbs, Titans' Johnson keeps falling
Panthers making most of cameos EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:04 pm by RayRay

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
September 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

Panthers making most of cameos

Go down 
AuthorMessage
G Killette
Admin
G Killette

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2008-10-18

Panthers making most of cameos Empty
PostSubject: Panthers making most of cameos   Panthers making most of cameos EmptyWed Nov 12, 2008 2:29 pm

Trusted backups Bridges, Hangartner also shine in commercial as body guards.
By David Scott
dscott@charlotteobserver.com
Posted: Wednesday, Nov. 12, 2008

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/panthers/story/319882.html

Center Geoff Hangartner (63) scooped up a kickoff against Seattle last season.
The corner of the Carolina Panthers locker room inhabited by the team's offensive linemen can be a lively place. One day last week, center Ryan Kalil asked where a west-coast native like himself might find a good hamburger in Charlotte.

Overhearing this, guard Keydrick Vincent – noticing the 295-pound Kalil's girth – remarked that Kalil didn't need to be thinking about eating hamburgers.

Residing a few lockers down are backup offensive linemen Geoff Hangartner and Jeremy Bridges, each of whom has played a key part in this injury-riddled season for the offensive line. Those aren't the only roles they're playing.

The pair also forms an imposing presence on area billboards and in television commercials for a local home-security business. They're the ones grimly standing by, arms folded, looking intimidating.

“We're basically body guards,” said Hangartner. “Wearing extra-tight clothes, looking sweet and showing off our bods.”

Going with the security analogy, Hangartner and Bridges have provided the Panthers with plenty of comfort this season. With the team's offensive line in a near-constant state of medical chaos, Hangartner and Bridges continue to provide relief as the Panthers (7-2) prepare for a game Sunday at Bank of America Stadium against Detroit. They've filled holes as injuries have limited the first-teamers to start as a group in just three games. In each of those games, at least one starter didn't last until halftime because of an injury.

“That's what they pay me for,” said Hangartner. “It's my job.”

Hangartner, taken in the fifth round of the 2005 draft out of Texas A&M, has started five games this season – two at left guard for the injured Travelle Wharton, and three at center for Kalil. Hangartner played much of Sunday's 17-6 win against Oakland when Kalil – fearing his injured ankle wouldn't hold up – left in the first quarter.

Bridges started four games at right tackle while Jeff Otah recovered from a sprained ankle and has been a contributor on special teams.

Little known fact about Bridges, who is in his third season with the Panthers after being drafted by the Philadelphia Eagles in 2003: It wasn't quarterback Jake Delhomme and tight end Dante Rosario who were responsible for the Panthers' season-opening 26-24 victory at San Diego. Bridges set up the drive by returning a squib kickoff 15 yards, giving the Panthers good field position for their final, winning drive.

“I'll take responsibility for (starting the drive),” Bridges said at the time. “I caught the ball and I ran it.”

Despite all the shuffling that began in the Chargers game and has continued unabated, the offensive line has played well. The Panthers have allowed 13 sacks, tied for 22nd lowest in the NFL. The line paved the way for DeAngelo Williams' career high 140 yards against Oakland.

Not bad for a group that includes two budding thespians. Hangartner is doing the ads for the first time this season. Bridges is an old pro, teaming in the spots with former Panthers' offensive lineman Evan Mathis for a few years before Mathis was waived before this season began.

Hangartner and Bridges don't do much during the commercials except stand there and look mean. But they flex their acting muscles in one ad, when they grab a burglar and throw him out of a house.

“We do toss him around some,” said Hangartner. “The poor guy was pretty bruised up afterward.”

Hangartner stressed that he and Bridges are actors, not pitchmen for the company.

“I need to get my screen actors card, probably,” said Hangartner.

What acting avenues might this take him down when his career is over?

Said Hangartner: “Probably nowhere.”
Back to top Go down
https://growlersden.aforumfree.com

Page 1 of 1