Growlers Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Growlers Den

Carolina Panthers Football

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» CALLING ALL PANTHER FANS
Dungy Retires As Colts Coach: 'It Was The Right Time' EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:28 pm by JohnDeezy89

» IT's Alive!!!!
Dungy Retires As Colts Coach: 'It Was The Right Time' EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:25 pm by JohnDeezy89

» SAINTS: Ten things to look for when New Orleans Saints minicamp begins next weekend
Dungy Retires As Colts Coach: 'It Was The Right Time' EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:25 am by PanthersRowell

» Colt Freaks - site for Colts fans
Dungy Retires As Colts Coach: 'It Was The Right Time' EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:19 am by PanthersRowell

» The Sports Zone
Dungy Retires As Colts Coach: 'It Was The Right Time' EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:16 am by PanthersRowell

» My article: Defensive Tackles
Dungy Retires As Colts Coach: 'It Was The Right Time' EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:14 am by PanthersRowell

» Hi Everybody!
Dungy Retires As Colts Coach: 'It Was The Right Time' EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:07 am by PanthersRowell

» Panthers add Newton (sore shoulder) to injury report as probable
Dungy Retires As Colts Coach: 'It Was The Right Time' EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:05 pm by RayRay

» As Panthers' Smith climbs, Titans' Johnson keeps falling
Dungy Retires As Colts Coach: 'It Was The Right Time' EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:04 pm by RayRay

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
July 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

Dungy Retires As Colts Coach: 'It Was The Right Time'

Go down 
AuthorMessage
G Killette
Admin
G Killette

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2008-10-18

Dungy Retires As Colts Coach: 'It Was The Right Time' Empty
PostSubject: Dungy Retires As Colts Coach: 'It Was The Right Time'   Dungy Retires As Colts Coach: 'It Was The Right Time' EmptyTue Jan 13, 2009 9:47 am

January 13
Tampa Tribune
"Almost seven years to the day after his dismissal as coach of the Buccaneers, Tony Dungy announced his retirement from the NFL on Monday, ending a historic 13-year run that reverberates far beyond the sidelines.

Next stop, Tampa.

Then, Canton.

Dungy, 53, struggled to hold his emotions in check during a late afternoon news conference at Indianapolis, where he led the 2006 Colts to a championship and became the first black coach to win a Super Bowl.

"Don't shed any tears for me,'' Dungy said, fighting back tears. "I've gotten to live a dream most people don't get to live.''

Dungy's career record of 148-79 (including playoffs) in six years with Tampa Bay and seven seasons at Indianapolis translates into a winning percentage of .652, the sixth-best in league history for coaches with at least 100 victories.

The legends ahead of him - Vince Lombardi, John Madden, George Allen, George Halas and Don Shula - are already enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

"We all understand what a great human being Tony Dungy is, but believe me, he's even a better football coach,'' said Rod Marinelli, the former defensive line coach who arrived in Tampa with Dungy in 1996 and helped him turn around an NFL laughingstock. "He tells you the truth, he stays on the details and he never wavers.''

Despite averaging nine wins in six years with the Buccaneers, Dungy was fired following the 2001 season, two days after Tampa Bay suffered a second consecutive opening-round playoff loss at Philadelphia.

"Malcolm Glazer gave me a tremendous opportunity 13 years ago and I had great times in Tampa,'' Dungy said. "These last seven years were better than I could have ever imagined.''

While Jon Gruden led the 2002 Bucs to a Super Bowl win, Dungy was hired by the Colts and immediately helped them reverse a 6-10 record with the help of franchise quarterback Peyton Manning.

But that was merely an appetizer.

Beginning in 2003, Dungy's Colts began an NFL-record streak of six consecutive seasons with at least 12 wins.

"Whay a joy it was to come to work with Tony Dungy every day,'' said Colts president Bill Polian. "And what an honor it was to reach our ultimate goal with a man who did it the right way.''

This year's club won its final nine regular-season games after a 3-4 start to keep the streak intact, but the Colts were eliminated in the wild-card round as San Diego defeated Indianapolis 23-17 in overtime, a bitter end to Dungy's luminous legacy.

"A coach is a revered position, but when you get to the pro level, coaches are often viewed as liars and cheats,'' said former Buc defensive end Simeon Rice, who posted 11 sacks while playing for Dungy in 2001. "Tony Dungy was a man who was revered by everyone. He came into an industry where there weren't a lot of black faces and he won a Super Bowl, making history along the way.''"
Link
Back to top Go down
https://growlersden.aforumfree.com

Page 1 of 1