Growlers Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Growlers Den

Carolina Panthers Football

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» CALLING ALL PANTHER FANS
Harrison asks for and gets release from Colts EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:28 pm by JohnDeezy89

» IT's Alive!!!!
Harrison asks for and gets release from Colts EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:25 pm by JohnDeezy89

» SAINTS: Ten things to look for when New Orleans Saints minicamp begins next weekend
Harrison asks for and gets release from Colts EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:25 am by PanthersRowell

» Colt Freaks - site for Colts fans
Harrison asks for and gets release from Colts EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:19 am by PanthersRowell

» The Sports Zone
Harrison asks for and gets release from Colts EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:16 am by PanthersRowell

» My article: Defensive Tackles
Harrison asks for and gets release from Colts EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:14 am by PanthersRowell

» Hi Everybody!
Harrison asks for and gets release from Colts EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:07 am by PanthersRowell

» Panthers add Newton (sore shoulder) to injury report as probable
Harrison asks for and gets release from Colts EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:05 pm by RayRay

» As Panthers' Smith climbs, Titans' Johnson keeps falling
Harrison asks for and gets release from Colts EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:04 pm by RayRay

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
July 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

Harrison asks for and gets release from Colts

Go down 
AuthorMessage
G Killette
Admin
G Killette

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2008-10-18

Harrison asks for and gets release from Colts Empty
PostSubject: Harrison asks for and gets release from Colts   Harrison asks for and gets release from Colts EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 9:38 am

February 25
Indianapolis Star

"Peyton Manning's vacation in Florida was interrupted Tuesday by news he had anticipated, but dreaded nonetheless. Marvin Harrison, his longtime teammate, was no longer an Indianapolis Colt.

"I'm indebted to him," Manning said in a telephone interview with The Star. "I'm sad he won't be here. There's no way I would be at the place I am right now if I hadn't played with Marvin for 11 years.

"In my opinion, he's always going to be a Colt."

Unable to reach a deal to retain a 36-year-old receiver who carried a cumbersome $13.4 million salary cap figure in 2009 -- and with Harrison unwilling to take a pay cut -- the Colts terminated his contract. Team president Bill Polian sent the paperwork to the NFL office Tuesday. The transaction becomes official today.

Irsay met with Harrison on Tuesday afternoon, making certain the owner and player -- "partners'' Irsay called his relationship with Harrison -- had completely thought through the process and were comfortable with the outcome.

"He was the way Marvin is: very matter of fact. 'I think I can still play. I want to still play. And so I'm going to go out and do that,' '' Irsay said.

Polian described Tuesday as "a sad day for the Colts . . . he's a Hall of Famer, no question. He takes his place with Raymond Berry as the two greatest receivers in this club's history."

Harrison, who was not present at the late afternoon news conference, ranks second in NFL history with 1,102 receptions, fourth with 14,580 receiving yards and fifth with 128 touchdowns.

The vast majority of his body of work was compiled with Manning delivering the football. The two hold league records by a quarterback-receiver duo for touchdowns (112), completions (953) and yards (12,766).

"I'm more proud that the time he and I were setting those tandem records, he and I were winning a lot of ballgames," Manning said. "That always was the objective."

During their 11-year association, Manning and Harrison contributed to the Colts winning 117 regular-season games. They made the playoffs nine times, including a Super Bowl XLI win."
Link
Back to top Go down
https://growlersden.aforumfree.com

Page 1 of 1