Growlers Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Growlers Den

Carolina Panthers Football

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» CALLING ALL PANTHER FANS
Heed lesson Raiders loss taught Texans EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:28 pm by JohnDeezy89

» IT's Alive!!!!
Heed lesson Raiders loss taught Texans EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:25 pm by JohnDeezy89

» SAINTS: Ten things to look for when New Orleans Saints minicamp begins next weekend
Heed lesson Raiders loss taught Texans EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:25 am by PanthersRowell

» Colt Freaks - site for Colts fans
Heed lesson Raiders loss taught Texans EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:19 am by PanthersRowell

» The Sports Zone
Heed lesson Raiders loss taught Texans EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:16 am by PanthersRowell

» My article: Defensive Tackles
Heed lesson Raiders loss taught Texans EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:14 am by PanthersRowell

» Hi Everybody!
Heed lesson Raiders loss taught Texans EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:07 am by PanthersRowell

» Panthers add Newton (sore shoulder) to injury report as probable
Heed lesson Raiders loss taught Texans EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:05 pm by RayRay

» As Panthers' Smith climbs, Titans' Johnson keeps falling
Heed lesson Raiders loss taught Texans EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:04 pm by RayRay

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
July 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

Heed lesson Raiders loss taught Texans

Go down 
AuthorMessage
G Killette
Admin
G Killette

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2008-10-18

Heed lesson Raiders loss taught Texans Empty
PostSubject: Heed lesson Raiders loss taught Texans   Heed lesson Raiders loss taught Texans EmptyWed Dec 24, 2008 10:51 am

December 23
Houston Chronicle columnist Jerome Solomon
"Gary Kubiak’s Texans were cruising down a road they had never been on — driving under the influence of a month of solid play — and speeding.

They weaved and got caught, pulled over and ticketed by the sad sack Oakland Raiders.

Kubiak didn’t do enough to prevent it from happening.

The day after, Kubiak wasn’t in a good mood. That is understandable. It is hoped he and his team learned a lesson.

Perhaps the next time Kubiak sees the Texans not observing the law, he’ll do something about it so they won’t lose a game like the one they lost Sunday.

It was a foreseeable defeat. When some fool rolls past you doing 90 on I-45, are you surprised to see flashing lights two miles later?

Kubiak should have sensed last week that his squad had the “pedal to the settle” in preparing for the Raiders. He claims he wouldn’t do anything different in the preparation that led to his team’s lackluster performance.

“No, I’d prepare the same way,” he said at Monday’s news conference. “We prepare the same way for every game. We don’t change our routine very much — how we put in game plans, how we go about our work. We practice the same way from the standpoint of how we’ve been doing things the last six or seven weeks from a fresh standpoint. So I wouldn’t do anything different.”

Don’t worry. That’s mostly coachspeak. Kubiak is smarter than that.

I know a coach who has a notebook filled with what he told his team before and after losses, and before and after wins. I know another who has notes dating back 25 years on what was going on with his team at each point of the season. I know another who could recite for you, almost verbatim, each speech to his teams.

Adjustments needed

The good ones pay attention to what worked and didn’t work, what they caught and what they missed, and adjust.

Even Kubiak said it’s “a week-to-week business,” so it’s smart to approach each week the same — consistency is important — but one must also be ready to make changes when the message isn’t getting across. Perhaps the next time the Texans are on a four-game winning streak and facing a weak team, Kubiak won’t let the team talk about the previous week’s game. Publicly at least, the Texans didn’t seem concerned about the Raiders.

Kubiak at least admitted he would change some play calls because of the ones that didn’t work, but that isn’t a major concern. The Texans’ offense is too good to be worried about whether a play here or a play there didn’t work.

Whether you choose to run the ball or throw it on fourth-down-and-less-than-a-yard isn‘t a debate if you approach the week with a different attitude. Do that, and you’re not in a desperate situation needing a two-touchdown, fourth-quarter comeback against one of the league’s bottom feeders.

I had a nice little debate with a Texans player Monday about whose fault it was that the Texans failed to show up. As expected, the player said it was on the players.

“You can’t blame Gary for this one, man,” he said."
Link
Back to top Go down
https://growlersden.aforumfree.com

Page 1 of 1