Growlers Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Growlers Den

Carolina Panthers Football

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» CALLING ALL PANTHER FANS
TEXANS:  Bulman’s working his way up EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:28 pm by JohnDeezy89

» IT's Alive!!!!
TEXANS:  Bulman’s working his way up EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:25 pm by JohnDeezy89

» SAINTS: Ten things to look for when New Orleans Saints minicamp begins next weekend
TEXANS:  Bulman’s working his way up EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:25 am by PanthersRowell

» Colt Freaks - site for Colts fans
TEXANS:  Bulman’s working his way up EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:19 am by PanthersRowell

» The Sports Zone
TEXANS:  Bulman’s working his way up EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:16 am by PanthersRowell

» My article: Defensive Tackles
TEXANS:  Bulman’s working his way up EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:14 am by PanthersRowell

» Hi Everybody!
TEXANS:  Bulman’s working his way up EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:07 am by PanthersRowell

» Panthers add Newton (sore shoulder) to injury report as probable
TEXANS:  Bulman’s working his way up EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:05 pm by RayRay

» As Panthers' Smith climbs, Titans' Johnson keeps falling
TEXANS:  Bulman’s working his way up EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:04 pm by RayRay

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
June 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

TEXANS: Bulman’s working his way up

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dkes
Admin
Dkes

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2008-10-18

TEXANS:  Bulman’s working his way up Empty
PostSubject: TEXANS: Bulman’s working his way up   TEXANS:  Bulman’s working his way up EmptyTue May 26, 2009 12:08 pm

Bulman’s working his way up
Texans like defensive end’s determination
By MEGAN MANFULL Copyright 2009 Houston Chronicle

Each time the first team defense was called last week, Tim Bulman sprinted to right end as if he owned it. All week he worked at a job he knew belonged to someone else.

It has always been that way.

That has never slowed Bulman though. Nor has it discouraged him. He is as relentless in organized team activities as he is during regular-season games.

It’s a trait that often drives his teammates crazy.

But that’s why Bulman is here. Once an undrafted free agent out of Boston College, Bulman is now among the most respected players in the Texans’ locker room and a reserve the coaches plan to lean on this season.

“He is the epitome of hard work,” said defensive coordinator Frank Bush, who also coached Bulman as a rookie in Arizona. “He works really hard at it, and it’s paying off for him.”

With that being said, Antonio Smith will return to right end as soon as his hamstring injury heals. Bulman will then be the top backup at end –at least until second-round pick Connor Barwin reports to training camp.

This is nothing new to Bulman.

“It’s a lot like it was last year,” said Bulman, 6-foot-4, 275 pounds. “N.D. Kalu didn’t practice, and I got an opportunity to go with the first team. I tried to make the best of it, but come training camp, N.D. was right in front of me, so it’s going to be a battle. I know the position I’m in. I know (Barwin is) a draft pick. I know Antonio is a high-money guy. He’s a great player as well. I played with him in Arizona. I think really highly of him.

“It’s just going to be competition. I’ve never shied away from that. And I know that’s what the whole league is about. I embrace that.”

Bulman is trying to make it hard for the coaches to keep him off the field by building on last season.

In 2008, he finished second on the team with four sacks despite being used very sparingly at end and tackle.

He also picked up his first career fumble recovery.

He took just two weeks off in January before he started watching his diet and devoting himself to working out back home in Boston.

It was the most regimented he as ever been in an offseason.

“I’m just looking at trying to strike the metal while it’s hot,” Bulman said.

“I know I’m 26, going into my fifth season. I’m just trying to keep the momentum going from last year.”

He is already impressing. For the first time in his career, Bulman is not only expected to make the opening-day roster, he’s expected to contribute.

New defensive line coach Bill Kollar has a similar philosophy on defense as Bush, which bodes well for Bulman.

He developed much of his work ethic as a rookie after listening constantly to Bush.

“What (Kollar is) looking for seems to be my style of play,” he said.

“I play every play to the whistle, I go non-stop. I’m giving you everything I’ve got and I’ll never stop. It’s the same thing with Frank. I feel like he’s been grinding that in my ear since I was a rookie out in Arizona. He used to pound that in – run to the ball, never stop, tag him off. I feel like that’s just stuff that I’ve just tried to put into my genetic make-up, and it’s starting to payoff.”
Back to top Go down

TEXANS: Bulman’s working his way up
Page 1 of 1