Growlers Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Growlers Den

Carolina Panthers Football

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» CALLING ALL PANTHER FANS
Defensive playmaker in Texans' cross hairs EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:28 pm by JohnDeezy89

» IT's Alive!!!!
Defensive playmaker in Texans' cross hairs EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:25 pm by JohnDeezy89

» SAINTS: Ten things to look for when New Orleans Saints minicamp begins next weekend
Defensive playmaker in Texans' cross hairs EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:25 am by PanthersRowell

» Colt Freaks - site for Colts fans
Defensive playmaker in Texans' cross hairs EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:19 am by PanthersRowell

» The Sports Zone
Defensive playmaker in Texans' cross hairs EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:16 am by PanthersRowell

» My article: Defensive Tackles
Defensive playmaker in Texans' cross hairs EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:14 am by PanthersRowell

» Hi Everybody!
Defensive playmaker in Texans' cross hairs EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:07 am by PanthersRowell

» Panthers add Newton (sore shoulder) to injury report as probable
Defensive playmaker in Texans' cross hairs EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:05 pm by RayRay

» As Panthers' Smith climbs, Titans' Johnson keeps falling
Defensive playmaker in Texans' cross hairs EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:04 pm by RayRay

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
June 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

Defensive playmaker in Texans' cross hairs

Go down 
AuthorMessage
G Killette
Admin
G Killette

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2008-10-18

Defensive playmaker in Texans' cross hairs Empty
PostSubject: Defensive playmaker in Texans' cross hairs   Defensive playmaker in Texans' cross hairs EmptySat Mar 14, 2009 12:17 pm

March 11
Houston Chronicle columnist John McClain

"Fans constantly ask who I think the Texans are going to select with the 15th pick in the first round of the draft next month. I tell them it's easier for me to predict the position than the player because teams still are shuffling players on their draft boards.

For instance, I think their first-round pick will be a defensive player because the Texans still need so much help on that side of the ball. I may be wrong, but I think the Texans will use their top pick on a big-play outside linebacker or a defensive tackle who can penetrate and agitate.

What new defensive coordinator Frank Bush and new assistant head coach/defensive line Bill Kollar want to do is to pressure the quarterback by exploding off the ball, getting up the field in a nanosecond and being as disruptive as possible.

Because the Texans expect their No. 1 pick to become a starter next season, I've ruled out another defensive end. Mario Williams and Antonio Smith, who signed as a free agent from Arizona, are the starters.

I don't see the Texans selecting a cornerback or safety in the first round. It doesn't matter who plays in the secondary, if the defense can't pressure the quarterback, the defensive backs are toast.

Matthews a possibility

That's why I think the first pick will be an outside linebacker like USC's Clay Matthews III or a tackle like Mississippi's Peria Jerry.

Of course, the Texans would love to have Wake Forest outside linebacker Aaron Curry or Boston College tackle B.J. Rajii, but both will be long gone.

Matthews is usually 6-3, 245, but he lost five pounds before the combine so he would be quicker. He ran the 40 in 4.62 seconds. More importantly, he ran the first 10 yards in 1.49.

Scouts and coaches love to time the first 10 yards because it's an indication of a player's explosiveness.

Florida receiver Percy Harvin was timed in 1.47. Maryland receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey, the fastest prospect at the draft with a 4.30 in the 40, ran the first 10 yards in 1.44.

In other words, Matthews explodes off the ball. That kind of explosion is one reason his stock is soaring."
Link
Back to top Go down
https://growlersden.aforumfree.com

Page 1 of 1