Growlers Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Growlers Den

Carolina Panthers Football

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» CALLING ALL PANTHER FANS
TEXANS: Texans release 3 veterans EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:28 pm by JohnDeezy89

» IT's Alive!!!!
TEXANS: Texans release 3 veterans EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:25 pm by JohnDeezy89

» SAINTS: Ten things to look for when New Orleans Saints minicamp begins next weekend
TEXANS: Texans release 3 veterans EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:25 am by PanthersRowell

» Colt Freaks - site for Colts fans
TEXANS: Texans release 3 veterans EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:19 am by PanthersRowell

» The Sports Zone
TEXANS: Texans release 3 veterans EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:16 am by PanthersRowell

» My article: Defensive Tackles
TEXANS: Texans release 3 veterans EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:14 am by PanthersRowell

» Hi Everybody!
TEXANS: Texans release 3 veterans EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:07 am by PanthersRowell

» Panthers add Newton (sore shoulder) to injury report as probable
TEXANS: Texans release 3 veterans EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:05 pm by RayRay

» As Panthers' Smith climbs, Titans' Johnson keeps falling
TEXANS: Texans release 3 veterans EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:04 pm by RayRay

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
July 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

TEXANS: Texans release 3 veterans

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dkes
Admin
Dkes

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2008-10-18

TEXANS: Texans release 3 veterans Empty
PostSubject: TEXANS: Texans release 3 veterans   TEXANS: Texans release 3 veterans EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 1:48 pm

Texans release 3 veterans
Cutting Demps, Weaver, Salaam frees cap space
By JOHN McCLAIN Copyright 2009 Houston Chronicle

The Texans are coming and going through a revolving door as NFL teams approach the start of free agency Friday.

On Wednesday, the Texans reached an agreement on a three-year contract with starting free safety Eugene Wilson and released defensive end Anthony Weaver, offensive tackle Ephraim Salaam and safety Will Demps.

Quarterback Sage Rosenfels is going to be traded to Minnesota for a fourth-round draft choice Friday.

By releasing Weaver, Salaam and Demps, the Texans saved $3.995 million against the salary cap.

Help wanted
The Texans are looking for a left defensive end in free agency or the draft to replace Weaver, who started the last three seasons after playing his first four seasons at Baltimore.

“I’m saddened because I built a lot of good relationships in Houston and made a lot of friends,” Weaver said. “I’m disappointed because I didn’t get to finish what we started, and that was to make the playoffs.

“I have no animosity, zero hard feelings. It was a blessing to be here. We just had a difference of opinion. I wanted to be here, and they wanted to go in a different direction.”

Weaver could end up with the New York Jets or Denver Broncos. His defensive coordinator in Baltimore was Mike Nolan, the Broncos’ new defensive coordinator. Weaver’s defensive line coach at Baltimore was Rex Ryan, the Jets’ new head coach.

“It’s too early to say right now,” Weaver said. “This just became official. I do think I’ll play somewhere, but I just don’t know where.”

Like Weaver, Salaam signed with the Texans as a free agent in 2006. He was scheduled to back up rookie Charles Spencer, but Spencer suffered a season-ending injury and Salaam replaced him for 14 games. He started every game in 2007.

Last season, Salaam received a lot of playing time as a backup to rookie Duane Brown.

“It’s a business, and I can’t control it,” Salaam said. “It’s something that happens. I’m sorry I didn’t reach my goal of helping the Texans make the playoffs.”

Opportunity for Butler
Rashad Butler, who has been with the Texans the last two seasons, will have to step into Salaam’s role as the swing tackle behind Brown and Eric Winston.

“Gary (Kubiak) told me they want to see how he (Butler) develops,” Salaam said. “I didn’t know I was getting in the way of his development. I believe I’m still capable of playing and playing at a very high level when I get another chance. Right now, I don’t know where that chance will be.”

Demps played two seasons with the Texans. When Wilson and Nick Ferguson were inserted as starters last season, Demps was demoted and didn’t resurface. The Texans expect to re-sign Ferguson as a backup to Wilson and second-year strong safety Dominique Barber.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6281724.html
Back to top Go down

TEXANS: Texans release 3 veterans
Page 1 of 1