Growlers Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Growlers Den

Carolina Panthers Football

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» CALLING ALL PANTHER FANS
BUCS:  Trade Brings Elite TE Winslow EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:28 pm by JohnDeezy89

» IT's Alive!!!!
BUCS:  Trade Brings Elite TE Winslow EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:25 pm by JohnDeezy89

» SAINTS: Ten things to look for when New Orleans Saints minicamp begins next weekend
BUCS:  Trade Brings Elite TE Winslow EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:25 am by PanthersRowell

» Colt Freaks - site for Colts fans
BUCS:  Trade Brings Elite TE Winslow EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:19 am by PanthersRowell

» The Sports Zone
BUCS:  Trade Brings Elite TE Winslow EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:16 am by PanthersRowell

» My article: Defensive Tackles
BUCS:  Trade Brings Elite TE Winslow EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:14 am by PanthersRowell

» Hi Everybody!
BUCS:  Trade Brings Elite TE Winslow EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:07 am by PanthersRowell

» Panthers add Newton (sore shoulder) to injury report as probable
BUCS:  Trade Brings Elite TE Winslow EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:05 pm by RayRay

» As Panthers' Smith climbs, Titans' Johnson keeps falling
BUCS:  Trade Brings Elite TE Winslow EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:04 pm by RayRay

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
July 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

BUCS: Trade Brings Elite TE Winslow

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Dkes
Admin
Dkes

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2008-10-18

BUCS:  Trade Brings Elite TE Winslow Empty
PostSubject: BUCS: Trade Brings Elite TE Winslow   BUCS:  Trade Brings Elite TE Winslow EmptySat Feb 28, 2009 2:08 pm

Trade Brings Elite TE Winslow

By ROY CUMMINGS

rcummings@tampatrib.com

Published: February 28, 2009

TAMPA - The free-agency signing period wasn't the only thing that began in the NFL on Friday. The league's trading period began anew as well, and that's the part the Bucs delved into.

Sticking with their plan to get tougher, the Bucs sent two draft picks, including their second-rounder this year, to the Cleveland Browns for tight end Kellen Winslow.

The deal also sends a fifth-round pick in 2010 to the Browns, but the Bucs believe Winslow will eventually justify the expense because he has always been more than just a tight end.

Wildly competitive, often controversial and ultraversatile, Winslow can line up in the slot like a flanker or even as a wideout, and in new coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski's offense, he expects to do all of those things.

"I'll be in the slot, out wide a little, whatever they need to create mismatches," said Winslow, a fifth-year pro who, when healthy, is one of the game's most effective playmakers.

Staying healthy, though, has long been a problem for Winslow. He broke his right leg two games into his rookie season and has twice undergone right knee surgery, both times as a result of a 2005 motorcycle accident.

He also missed six games with a staph infection last season, but that didn't keep him from establishing himself as one of the game's most productive pass-catching tight ends.

Since 2006, only two tight ends have caught more passes than the 214 Winslow has caught, and only four have gained more yards than the 2,409 Winslow has gained. It's no wonder that center Jeff Faine was glad to be back with him.

"He has a great attitude, a great work ethic and he's a great athlete," said Faine, who played alongside Winslow in Cleveland in 2004 and 2005. "He's going to be a great addition. I think he'll really fit in well here."

Winslow seems to like the fit. Though he said he enjoyed his time in Cleveland, the University of Miami product said he was excited to be returning to Florida.

"Warm weather - my wife is going to like it," said Winslow, who was equally excited about teaming up again with Alfredo Roberts, the Bucs' new tight ends coach.

Roberts was Winslow's position coach the last two years in Cleveland. Winslow described him as a great coach and expressed excitement about working for Bucs coach Raheem Morris, whom Winslow mistook upon meeting him.

"I thought he was a player," Winslow said. "He had that walk. But when I met him, I fell in love with him. Him, the GM Mark Dominik, they're all great people to be around."

Dominik said he feels the same about Winslow, whom he described as a "dynamic playmaker." Winslow, of course, has also proved to be a dynamic newsmaker during his college and pro career.

As a collegian, he drew criticism for an angry tirade to reporters after he was asked about taunting a player he had injured with a clean block in a game against Tennessee.

He later became embroiled in a long holdout over his first pro contract, and last year he was openly critical of the team's handling of his staph infection, which the team tried to keep quiet.

Winslow believes he often has been misunderstood, and he thinks he has matured since the most notable of those instances took place during the game against Tennessee.

"I think everybody makes mistakes, and the mistake I made when I was 19 years old was on national television and everybody saw it," he said. "I'm 25 now. As I stand before you now, I think I'm a changed man."

Which players besides Winslow will become part of the changing Bucs is hard to tell. They have expressed strong interest in Steelers receiver Nate Washington, Bills cornerback Jabari Fletcher and Browns corner Daven Holly, but others who thought they were on the team's radar aren't.

Among those disappointed in not hearing from the Bucs were Falcons linebacker Michael Boley, Giants running back Derrick Ward and Cowboys defensive end Chris Canty.

The Bucs had some interest in defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth, but Haynesworth wound up signing a seven-year, $100 million deal with the Washington Redskins.

The Bucs are also believed to have some interest in Bengals wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh, but Houshmandzadeh has not put the Bucs on the list of teams he wants to join.

The Bucs, meanwhile, are trying to do deals for many of their own free agents, including cornerback Phillip Buchanon, safety Jermaine Phillips and wide receiver Michael Clayton.

Clayton has drawn interest from the Lions, Broncos, Vikings and Seahawks. It's uncertain what teams, if any, have expressed interest in Phillips, Buchanon or any of the Bucs' other free agents.

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/feb/28/sp-trade-brings-elite-te/sports-bucs/
Back to top Go down
PanthersRowell

PanthersRowell

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2009-01-13

PostSubject: Re: BUCS: Trade Brings Elite TE Winslow   BUCS:  Trade Brings Elite TE Winslow EmptySun Mar 01, 2009 12:20 pm

Atleast we dont haft to face Haynesworth twice a season it could be worse although K2 is going to be a threat now!
Back to top Go down
Dkes
Admin
Dkes

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2008-10-18

PostSubject: Re: BUCS: Trade Brings Elite TE Winslow   BUCS:  Trade Brings Elite TE Winslow EmptySun Mar 01, 2009 1:58 pm

I hear ya. I actually think that the Bucs are self destructing. I thought that last year about the Falcons and I was wrong. We'll see.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: BUCS: Trade Brings Elite TE Winslow   BUCS:  Trade Brings Elite TE Winslow Empty

Back to top Go down

BUCS: Trade Brings Elite TE Winslow
Page 1 of 1