Growlers Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Growlers Den

Carolina Panthers Football

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» CALLING ALL PANTHER FANS
Jacobs, Ward Near Elite Company EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:28 pm by JohnDeezy89

» IT's Alive!!!!
Jacobs, Ward Near Elite Company EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:25 pm by JohnDeezy89

» SAINTS: Ten things to look for when New Orleans Saints minicamp begins next weekend
Jacobs, Ward Near Elite Company EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:25 am by PanthersRowell

» Colt Freaks - site for Colts fans
Jacobs, Ward Near Elite Company EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:19 am by PanthersRowell

» The Sports Zone
Jacobs, Ward Near Elite Company EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:16 am by PanthersRowell

» My article: Defensive Tackles
Jacobs, Ward Near Elite Company EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:14 am by PanthersRowell

» Hi Everybody!
Jacobs, Ward Near Elite Company EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:07 am by PanthersRowell

» Panthers add Newton (sore shoulder) to injury report as probable
Jacobs, Ward Near Elite Company EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:05 pm by RayRay

» As Panthers' Smith climbs, Titans' Johnson keeps falling
Jacobs, Ward Near Elite Company EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:04 pm by RayRay

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
July 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

Jacobs, Ward Near Elite Company

Go down 
AuthorMessage
G Killette
Admin
G Killette

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2008-10-18

Jacobs, Ward Near Elite Company Empty
PostSubject: Jacobs, Ward Near Elite Company   Jacobs, Ward Near Elite Company EmptyWed Dec 24, 2008 10:21 am

December 24
New York Post
" With every yard Derrick Ward gains Sunday against the Vikings, he moves closer to teaming with Brandon Jacobs for a rare accomplishment and at the same time reduces the chances of remaining teammates with Jacobs following this season.That's the way it works sometimes. The more a player does, the less likely he will stay put.

That was one of the topics in what Jacobs estimated was a 25-minute phone conversation he had Monday night with Ward, his backfield mate and good buddy.

"And we're not phone guys at all," Jacobs said.

Thanks to his career-high 215-yard eruption in the Giants' riveting 34-28 comeback overtime victory over the Panthers, Ward has set himself up to become part of history. He has 948 yards - the most for a backup running back in franchise history - and needs 52 to hit 1,000 rushing yards for the first time. Jacobs is already there, with 1,089 yards despite missing two full games and half of another.

Only three running back duos have ever gained 1,000 yards each in the same season, none since 1985.

"I think it would mean more to the offensive line that they blocked for two 1,000-yard rushers than for me," said Ward, who was named NFC offensive player of the week. "Granted, I would love to have 1,000 yards rushing in the NFL, but I think it would be more of a celebration for my offensive lineman."Ward and Jacobs are 52 yards away from joining exclusive company, and they want in very badly. With great success, though, comes great rewards, and both Jacobs and Ward are set to become unrestricted free agents following the season. It's not likely both will be re-signed and it's very likely the Giants are making Jacobs a priority. It's also likely there's a team out there viewing Ward as a starting talent and will pay him accordingly, something the Giants probably will not be inclined to do.

"That's definitely going to hurt," Jacobs said. "Every time the last two years I've been asking him, 'What kind of money you looking for?' It's going up every day. It's actually funny. I laugh at him every time he tells me. He deserves it. He does just as much as I do and he deserves it. It will be tough as an organization to have to make a decision on us. It's going to be tough to depart if that's what we have to do. I love him like a brother and I wish we could still be around each other next season." "

Link
Back to top Go down
https://growlersden.aforumfree.com

Page 1 of 1