Growlers Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Growlers Den

Carolina Panthers Football

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» CALLING ALL PANTHER FANS
Falcons visit Minnesota with future in mind EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:28 pm by JohnDeezy89

» IT's Alive!!!!
Falcons visit Minnesota with future in mind EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:25 pm by JohnDeezy89

» SAINTS: Ten things to look for when New Orleans Saints minicamp begins next weekend
Falcons visit Minnesota with future in mind EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:25 am by PanthersRowell

» Colt Freaks - site for Colts fans
Falcons visit Minnesota with future in mind EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:19 am by PanthersRowell

» The Sports Zone
Falcons visit Minnesota with future in mind EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:16 am by PanthersRowell

» My article: Defensive Tackles
Falcons visit Minnesota with future in mind EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:14 am by PanthersRowell

» Hi Everybody!
Falcons visit Minnesota with future in mind EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:07 am by PanthersRowell

» Panthers add Newton (sore shoulder) to injury report as probable
Falcons visit Minnesota with future in mind EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:05 pm by RayRay

» As Panthers' Smith climbs, Titans' Johnson keeps falling
Falcons visit Minnesota with future in mind EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:04 pm by RayRay

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
July 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

Falcons visit Minnesota with future in mind

Go down 
AuthorMessage
G Killette
Admin
G Killette

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2008-10-18

Falcons visit Minnesota with future in mind Empty
PostSubject: Falcons visit Minnesota with future in mind   Falcons visit Minnesota with future in mind EmptySat Dec 20, 2008 5:20 pm

December 20
Atlanta Journal-Constitution Columnist Terence Moore
"Ten seasons ago, the Falcons did the impossible in Minneapolis. They won their only NFC championship. They did so against a loaded Vikings team that supposedly was roaring toward a world title with a record-setting offense, the new Purple People Eaters on defense and the look of destiny everywhere.

Now, the Falcons are back in Minneapolis on Sunday, but the Super Bowl isn't four quarters away this time. At 9-5, and with much of the solar system fighting for a wild-card spot, the Falcons are trying to slide into the playoffs with two games and a bunch of tie-breaking scenarios left.

They'll make the postseason, or they'll fall within a chinstrap of doing so.

Whatever the case, the Falcons have the right attitude. That's because one of their key players has the perfect attitude. His name is Keith Brooking, an accomplished linebacker, who cherishes everything involved with that other trip to the Metrodome, but who mostly is focused on right now.

Attitude. Focused.

Those are attributes of any team with true playoff aspirations. Said Brooking, "On Sunday, [the 1998 season] will be the last thing I'll be thinking about. We have one of the best running backs in the league on our team [Michael Turner], but No. 28 [Adrian Peterson] for the Minnesota Vikings, he's right up there with him. That's going to be our main goal defensively. He's a very big part of their whole equation. That's going to be the main thing on my mind."

Well, such will be the case for Brooking during the game. Before and after it, he will reminisce. He's the only member of the current Falcons who played on that 1998 team.

"I'll never forget the excitement in the locker room, and the feeling of what it's like to celebrate with a group of men who knew you couldn't accomplish something like that without the effort of everybody," Brooking said, recalling the Falcons' 30-27 upset in overtime. "Those are memories that I'll have with me the rest of my life."

The same goes for the season 2002, when the Falcons performed their Miracle in Green Bay, where they gave the Packers their first playoff loss ever at home. The same goes for 2004, when the Falcons reached the NFC Championship again before losing to the Philadelphia Eagles.

Other than that, the Falcons mostly were busts during Brooking's 11 seasons. So, as the elder statesman on a predominately young roster, he is an expert on what you should do and shouldn't do down the stretch of a playoff drive.

To hear Brooking tell, the "should do" list begins with peace and ends with quiet.

"The one thing that was common with all those other teams and this one is that there have been zero distractions," said Brooking, whose 2007 Falcons had everything from Michael Vick and his dogs to Bobby Petrino and his Hogs. "Every player on this team, football means a great deal to them, and it's right there at the top of their priority list. We've completely bought into what [first-year Falc
Link
Back to top Go down
https://growlersden.aforumfree.com

Page 1 of 1