Growlers Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Growlers Den

Carolina Panthers Football

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» CALLING ALL PANTHER FANS
Panthers' offensive mind got its start on line EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:28 pm by JohnDeezy89

» IT's Alive!!!!
Panthers' offensive mind got its start on line EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:25 pm by JohnDeezy89

» SAINTS: Ten things to look for when New Orleans Saints minicamp begins next weekend
Panthers' offensive mind got its start on line EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:25 am by PanthersRowell

» Colt Freaks - site for Colts fans
Panthers' offensive mind got its start on line EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:19 am by PanthersRowell

» The Sports Zone
Panthers' offensive mind got its start on line EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:16 am by PanthersRowell

» My article: Defensive Tackles
Panthers' offensive mind got its start on line EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:14 am by PanthersRowell

» Hi Everybody!
Panthers' offensive mind got its start on line EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:07 am by PanthersRowell

» Panthers add Newton (sore shoulder) to injury report as probable
Panthers' offensive mind got its start on line EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:05 pm by RayRay

» As Panthers' Smith climbs, Titans' Johnson keeps falling
Panthers' offensive mind got its start on line EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:04 pm by RayRay

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
September 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

Panthers' offensive mind got its start on line

Go down 
AuthorMessage
G Killette
Admin
G Killette

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2008-10-18

Panthers' offensive mind got its start on line Empty
PostSubject: Panthers' offensive mind got its start on line   Panthers' offensive mind got its start on line EmptyMon Jan 05, 2009 11:19 am

January 4 Charlotte Observer

"Play-calling wasn't in Jeff Davidson's master plan.

The man who now coordinates the Carolina Panthers' quickly-evolving offense grew up near Columbus, Ohio, born and bred to be an offensive lineman.

He was a Parade All-American as a high school senior, and went on to star on the line and serve as a captain for the Ohio State Buckeyes, just like his father, Jim.

The younger Davidson was a fifth-round draft pick of the Denver Broncos in 1990 and helped block for legendary quarterback John Elway, starting at left tackle in 1991 and left guard in '92.

Davidson hoped to spend many years in the NFL using his 6-foot-5, 309-pound frame to open holes for running backs and keep blockers away from Elway.

But he suffered a preseason knee injury in '93 and the Broncos released him.

He resurfaced with the New Orleans Saints, but never was healthy enough to play because of shoulder and knee problems.

In July 1995, as the expansion Panthers were preparing for their first season, Davidson was waived by the Saints for the final time.

But what appeared to be an ending was actually a beginning.

His New Orleans offensive line coach, John Matsko, asked Davidson to remain as a volunteer coach.

"Until that time, I'd never thought about it," Davidson said of coaching. "But I didn't want to get out of the game."

It was then that Davidson's passion for football and his academic acumen - he was an honor student in high school - began to birth a promising new career.

He later joined New England's staff as tight ends coach, a position he knew nothing about. He pored into the playbook in true hurry-up style before his first minicamp with the Patriots.

"I didn't know much about the passing game," said Davidson. "Some say I still don't! But it opened up the whole playbook to me in a couple of nights.

"That's where I truly fell in love (with) the overall game, not just the offensive line."

While in New England, Davidson was mentored by head coach Bill Belichick and former Patriots offensive coordinator Charlie Weis before moving to the Cleveland Browns.

Weis, one of Carolina coach John Fox's best friends, recommended Davidson after Fox terminated Dan Henning as the offensive coordinator following the 2006 season.

Davidson got the job and jumped out to a quick start in '07. The team scored 75 points in its first three games, with quarterback Jake Delhomme tossing eight touchdown passes and only one interception.

But Delhomme's season-ending elbow injury in that third game forced Davidson to struggle through a year in which the Panthers used four starting quarterbacks to gut out a 7-9 record.

It wasn't until this season, when Delhomme returned healthy, that the offensive philosophy Davidson learned from Weis, now the coach at Notre Dame, was fully implemented with the Panthers.

Davidson, 41, gave Delhomme more freedom to alter plays at the line of scrimmage tha
Link
Back to top Go down
https://growlersden.aforumfree.com

Page 1 of 1