Growlers Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Growlers Den

Carolina Panthers Football

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» CALLING ALL PANTHER FANS
Williams says Testaverde inspired him EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:28 pm by JohnDeezy89

» IT's Alive!!!!
Williams says Testaverde inspired him EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:25 pm by JohnDeezy89

» SAINTS: Ten things to look for when New Orleans Saints minicamp begins next weekend
Williams says Testaverde inspired him EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:25 am by PanthersRowell

» Colt Freaks - site for Colts fans
Williams says Testaverde inspired him EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:19 am by PanthersRowell

» The Sports Zone
Williams says Testaverde inspired him EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:16 am by PanthersRowell

» My article: Defensive Tackles
Williams says Testaverde inspired him EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:14 am by PanthersRowell

» Hi Everybody!
Williams says Testaverde inspired him EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:07 am by PanthersRowell

» Panthers add Newton (sore shoulder) to injury report as probable
Williams says Testaverde inspired him EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:05 pm by RayRay

» As Panthers' Smith climbs, Titans' Johnson keeps falling
Williams says Testaverde inspired him EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:04 pm by RayRay

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
July 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

Williams says Testaverde inspired him

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
G Killette
Admin
G Killette

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2008-10-18

Williams says Testaverde inspired him Empty
PostSubject: Williams says Testaverde inspired him   Williams says Testaverde inspired him EmptyFri Dec 19, 2008 8:41 pm

Williams says Testaverde inspired him December 18
Charlotte Observer
"Vinny Testaverde's job last season was to serve as an emergency fill-in quarterback for the Carolina Panthers while Jake Delhomme was injured, but his greatest contribution might have been the inspiration he gave running back DeAngelo Williams.

"I think he's probably impacted my season the most this year (of) anybody because of the conversation we had before he left," Williams said of Testaverde on Wednesday.

"He really left me with some things that really touched me and stayed on my heart, as you can tell from this season."

That's the closest Williams has come to explaining his evolution from a backup to one of the NFL's emerging stars.

Last season, he played behind DeShaun Foster and rushed for 717 yards and four touchdowns. This season he ranks fourth in the NFL in rushing with 1,229 yards and leads the league with 16 touchdowns.

His play has helped the Panthers to an 11-3 record, tied for best in the NFC with the New York Giants heading into Sunday night's showdown.

Williams wouldn't divulge specifically what Testaverde shared with him, but Testaverde was candid about their conversation. Testaverde, now 45, played his 21st and final season with Carolina.

"When I got there last year, it was the first game at Arizona, I handed the ball off to him, he'd run 10 or 12 yards and put his hand up to come out of the game," Testaverde said Wednesday in a telephone interview from his Tampa, Fla., home.

"After a few weeks, I said, 'You have all the ability to be a great running back, but you need to get in shape and you need not to want to come out of the game.'"

Testaverde, known for staying in top shape and planning to open a fitness center for athletes, said he told Williams how his former New York Jets teammate Curtis Martin maintained excellent physical condition and never wanted to come out of games, even on long drives."
Link
Back to top Go down
https://growlersden.aforumfree.com
Dkes
Admin
Dkes

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2008-10-18

Williams says Testaverde inspired him Empty
PostSubject: Re: Williams says Testaverde inspired him   Williams says Testaverde inspired him EmptyFri Dec 19, 2008 10:38 pm

Huh....I never saw that coming. Vinny was awesome last year. I'm not surprised that he left his imprint on this young team. I am kinda surprised he impacted a running back. I just wish that we could have kept him around a little longer. Don't get me wrong....I'm glad Jakes back. But sometimes I wish it was easier to staff some of these veteran players as assistants. For instance, maybe Drew Carter would have developed better route running skills if Ricky Proehl were around to help out. I know the world doesn't work that way, but it's fun for me to think about.
Back to top Go down

Williams says Testaverde inspired him
Page 1 of 1