Growlers Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Growlers Den

Carolina Panthers Football

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» CALLING ALL PANTHER FANS
Williams justifying his status in draft EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:28 pm by JohnDeezy89

» IT's Alive!!!!
Williams justifying his status in draft EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:25 pm by JohnDeezy89

» SAINTS: Ten things to look for when New Orleans Saints minicamp begins next weekend
Williams justifying his status in draft EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:25 am by PanthersRowell

» Colt Freaks - site for Colts fans
Williams justifying his status in draft EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:19 am by PanthersRowell

» The Sports Zone
Williams justifying his status in draft EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:16 am by PanthersRowell

» My article: Defensive Tackles
Williams justifying his status in draft EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:14 am by PanthersRowell

» Hi Everybody!
Williams justifying his status in draft EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:07 am by PanthersRowell

» Panthers add Newton (sore shoulder) to injury report as probable
Williams justifying his status in draft EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:05 pm by RayRay

» As Panthers' Smith climbs, Titans' Johnson keeps falling
Williams justifying his status in draft EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:04 pm by RayRay

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
July 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

Williams justifying his status in draft

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
G Killette
Admin
G Killette

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2008-10-18

Williams justifying his status in draft Empty
PostSubject: Williams justifying his status in draft   Williams justifying his status in draft EmptySat Dec 06, 2008 12:14 pm

By Charles Chandler
cchandler@charlotteobserver.com
Posted: Saturday, Dec. 06, 2008
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/panthers/story/397367.html

Finally, 13 years after first using a first- or second-round pick on a running back, the Carolina Panthers are nearing the reward of having a draftee with a 1,000-yard rushing season.

DeAngelo Williams, a first-round selection in 2006, has 955 yards entering Monday night's home game against Tampa Bay.

The Panthers have invested five first- or second-round choices on running backs, but the only two 1,000-yard backs in team history were free agents – Anthony Johnson (1,120 yards in 1996) and Stephen Davis (1,444 in 2003).

Williams said Friday he hasn't thought much about nearing the 1,000-yard mark.

“I don't put much stock into it at all,” he said. “If it translates into winning games, I'm all about it (and) I'll keep that stat. If it doesn't, I'm not worried about it because I know a lot of backs who didn't rush for 1,000 yards who played in the Super Bowl.

“If we were to get it, we'd have a 1,000-yard (offensive) line because without those guys, I wouldn't be getting the yards I'm getting.”

Carolina general manager Marty Hurney had high praise for Williams.

“We knew he was a very good back when we drafted him, he's improved every year and it's great to see the success he's had,” Hurney said.

The Panthers drafted three backs in the first two rounds before Williams – Tshimanga Biakabutuka (first round, 1996), DeShaun Foster (second round, 2002) and Eric Shelton (second round, 2005). They also chose Jonathan Stewart in the first round in April. Stewart has 586 yards and is on pace for a 781-yard season as a rookie.

Briefly

Panthers defensive end Julius Peppers was fined $10,000 for his out-of-bounds hit on Green Bay quarterback Aaron Rodgers in the fourth quarter of Carolina's 35-31 win at Lambeau Field last Sunday.

An NFL spokesman said Peppers “unnecessarily struck the quarterback late and out of bounds.”

Peppers wasn't available for comment Friday.

Panthers fans are encourage to wear all black to Monday night's game against Tampa Bay to match the team's jersey color. Despite rumors to the contrary, team officials say the Panthers are not going to unveil new black pants and black helmets for a “black-out” uniform. In fact, other than a few samples, the Panthers don't have black pants and black helmets in their equipment room.

Linebacker Adam Seward (ankle) and defensive end Hilee Taylor (calf) were listed as doubtful for Monday's game after missing practice for the third consecutive day. Linebacker Na'il Diggs (thigh) and cornerback Ken Lucas (head) were listed as probable.
Back to top Go down
https://growlersden.aforumfree.com
JayJ1

JayJ1

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Williams justifying his status in draft Empty
PostSubject: Re: Williams justifying his status in draft   Williams justifying his status in draft EmptySat Dec 06, 2008 6:21 pm

I like the way he approaches the 1,000 yrd questions wins first if he gets the stat with it then it is cool.
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1