Growlers Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Growlers Den

Carolina Panthers Football

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» CALLING ALL PANTHER FANS
Next 2 games are key for Kyle Orton's future with Bears EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:28 pm by JohnDeezy89

» IT's Alive!!!!
Next 2 games are key for Kyle Orton's future with Bears EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:25 pm by JohnDeezy89

» SAINTS: Ten things to look for when New Orleans Saints minicamp begins next weekend
Next 2 games are key for Kyle Orton's future with Bears EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:25 am by PanthersRowell

» Colt Freaks - site for Colts fans
Next 2 games are key for Kyle Orton's future with Bears EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:19 am by PanthersRowell

» The Sports Zone
Next 2 games are key for Kyle Orton's future with Bears EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:16 am by PanthersRowell

» My article: Defensive Tackles
Next 2 games are key for Kyle Orton's future with Bears EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:14 am by PanthersRowell

» Hi Everybody!
Next 2 games are key for Kyle Orton's future with Bears EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:07 am by PanthersRowell

» Panthers add Newton (sore shoulder) to injury report as probable
Next 2 games are key for Kyle Orton's future with Bears EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:05 pm by RayRay

» As Panthers' Smith climbs, Titans' Johnson keeps falling
Next 2 games are key for Kyle Orton's future with Bears EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:04 pm by RayRay

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
July 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

Next 2 games are key for Kyle Orton's future with Bears

Go down 
AuthorMessage
G Killette
Admin
G Killette

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2008-10-18

Next 2 games are key for Kyle Orton's future with Bears Empty
PostSubject: Next 2 games are key for Kyle Orton's future with Bears   Next 2 games are key for Kyle Orton's future with Bears EmptyFri Dec 19, 2008 6:55 pm

December 19
Chicago Tribune columnist David Haugh
"Ron Jaworski kept his assistant busy Thursday breaking down every pass Kyle Orton has had batted down this season.

The final tally will make Jaworski more informed when the ESPN analyst calls the Bears-Packers "Monday Night Football" game at Soldier Field.

But Jaworski, whose eyes are to quarterback play what an X-ray machine is to bones, didn't need statistics to conclude whether he thinks the Bears should commit long-term to Orton.

"No," Jaworski told the Tribune Thursday in a phone interview. "[But] they might."

The Bears might feel better about doing so if Orton finishes the season closer to the way he started it. But what if he doesn't?

That makes Orton the Bears player who has the most to gain, and to lose.

Asked if he could use the final two games to solidify his standing the way he did the final three games of 2007, the presumed quarterback of the future wouldn't bite.

"I think 10-6 is a good record whether we make the playoffs or not," Orton said. "It'd be a great way to end the season. What happens out of that is left up in the air, I guess."

Nobody mentioned anything about 10-6.

The question was about No. 18 — and still is to people such as Jaworski who are not sold entirely on Orton. Critics continue to wonder about the Bears starter, who needs a strong showing Monday night against the Packers and Dec. 28 at Houston to remove some of the doubt that has crept in the last month.

"Personally I just feel it's another chance to come out and play two more solid games, hopefully play well," Orton said. "Whatever it means in the future we'll see in the off-season."

It's still easy to see from here the Bears approaching Orton about a contract extension before he enters the final year of his deal in 2009. Jerry Angelo has said time is his ally regarding a new contract, but the quarterback's arrow still points up. He is worth developing.

"I have to improve in all parts of my game," Orton said. "I have a full year of playing this year. I just think it'll help being here the next couple of years, keep on getting the reps and keep on being the guy."

The Bears shouldn't let disappointing years of some players they re-upped last off-season scare them away. But they shouldn't write Orton a blank check either. There is middle ground.

A deal somewhere between the three-year, $27 million extension to which the Cleveland Browns signed Derek Anderson last year and the six-year, $65 million contract Aaron Rodgers got from the Packers last month makes sense."
Link
Back to top Go down
https://growlersden.aforumfree.com

Page 1 of 1