Growlers Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Growlers Den

Carolina Panthers Football

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» CALLING ALL PANTHER FANS
Monday night is BIG for Panthers EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:28 pm by JohnDeezy89

» IT's Alive!!!!
Monday night is BIG for Panthers EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:25 pm by JohnDeezy89

» SAINTS: Ten things to look for when New Orleans Saints minicamp begins next weekend
Monday night is BIG for Panthers EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:25 am by PanthersRowell

» Colt Freaks - site for Colts fans
Monday night is BIG for Panthers EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:19 am by PanthersRowell

» The Sports Zone
Monday night is BIG for Panthers EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:16 am by PanthersRowell

» My article: Defensive Tackles
Monday night is BIG for Panthers EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:14 am by PanthersRowell

» Hi Everybody!
Monday night is BIG for Panthers EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:07 am by PanthersRowell

» Panthers add Newton (sore shoulder) to injury report as probable
Monday night is BIG for Panthers EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:05 pm by RayRay

» As Panthers' Smith climbs, Titans' Johnson keeps falling
Monday night is BIG for Panthers EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:04 pm by RayRay

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
July 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

Monday night is BIG for Panthers

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
G Killette
Admin
G Killette

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2008-10-18

Monday night is BIG for Panthers Empty
PostSubject: Monday night is BIG for Panthers   Monday night is BIG for Panthers EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 2:38 pm

By Scott Folwler
sfowler@charlotteobserver.com

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/423/story/390369.html

First of all, it's the most significant regular-season home game the Panthers have ever played. And if they don't win it, they're not going to win the NFC South.

That's my opinion, not a mathematical fact. Here's why I believe it.

Carolina and Tampa Bay are both 9-3. A win puts the Bucs at 10-3 compared to Carolina's 9-4, but the Bucs would also hold the tiebreaker edge. Carolina would basically be two games down to Tampa with three to play.

Factor in the Bucs' soft closing schedule, you can kiss a home playoff game goodbye in that scenario. With a loss Monday, a No.5 or No.6 seed in the NFC playoffs would be the best Carolina could do.

If the Panthers do win Monday night, they still might not win the South. But they'll have a much better shot not only at the division title but also the No.2 seed in the NFC playoffs (the Giants are a near-certainty for No.1).

“People remember what you do in December,” Panthers coach John Fox likes to say.

So is this the most important game the Panthers have ever played in Charlotte? Not quite. In my mind, it would still trail Carolina's two home playoff games against the Dallas Cowboys in 1997 and 2004. After all, the playoffs are truly do-or-die. This isn't.

But no regular-season game the Panthers have ever played can top it. So it's fitting that “Monday Night Football” will be here to lend some glitz to the proceedings. The gleam off Tony Kornheiser's bald head, the way Bank of America stadium glows under the lights, the fact that Tampa Bay creamed Carolina 27-3 in their first meeting – all of that adds some sheen.

It's very rare that Panthers players start talking about their next opponent right after they finish a game, particularly if they just won that game in dramatic fashion. But that's exactly what they were doing in Green Bay moments after that 35-31 victory Sunday.

“We get to play Tampa Bay Monday night and their defense is as solid as any in the NFL,” running back DeAngelo Williams said.

“It's a great rivalry and a team I have a great deal of respect for,” quarterback Jake Delhomme said. “And it is set up perfectly.”

That's true. “Monday Night Football” doesn't get the flex-scheduling benefit that the Sunday night NFL game does. So it occasionally gets stuck with a dog like Jacksonville vs. Houston like it had Monday – two 4-7 teams headed nowhere. That's why MNF – as well as NFL fans – will appreciate a jewel like this one.

“Everyone's fighting to get into the same 12-team tournament,” Fox said, referring to the playoffs. “Once you get in that, it's whoever gets hot.”

Both these teams have been relatively hot most of this season. This game will determine whose December is more likely to get doused.
Back to top Go down
https://growlersden.aforumfree.com
JayJ1

JayJ1

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2008-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Monday night is BIG for Panthers   Monday night is BIG for Panthers EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 3:17 pm

I know that these games always seem to go against us and that explains the feeling some of our fan base has, but seriously aren't we due. Why can't it be us for once that coast against a quality opponent? Why can't everything fall our way for once? Why can't we be the dominate ones in every facet? I do not want the D to "bail us out" or the Off to "bail us out". I want for once to see us force a three and out then run a long sustained drive rushing effectively and leading to a TD. I want our QB to throw for 400 yrds for once and 0 Ints. I want SC to not have enough room for news about players shooting themselves bc of all the Panther highlights from this game. I want Gamble to solidify his possible probowl with three ints and two for TDs. And Pep get three sacks and Diggs and Beason and Davis get one two. I want their guys to be held to no rushing TDs and less than 100 yrds. When do we get to be on this side of the ball? Yeah I know I am always saying "keep the stats, give me the wins", but why can't we have both for once and in a big game?
Back to top Go down
Dkes
Admin
Dkes

Number of posts : 287

PostSubject: Re: Monday night is BIG for Panthers   Monday night is BIG for Panthers EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 9:43 pm

I hope that this is exactly what we see Monday night (although I will just take the win). I feel like this is the biggest game the Panthers have played in many years. I don't know that Tampa feels the same way. If they don't, we might have a slight motivational edge. We have never really excelled while the whole nation watched (and won the game).....I think that is all about to change. A big win like you described would catapult us back on to the national stage and set us up as "the ones to watch out for".
Back to top Go down
JayJ1

JayJ1

PostSubject: Re: Monday night is BIG for Panthers   Monday night is BIG for Panthers EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 2:07 pm

I just hope if that is the case that they can handle that pressure.
Back to top Go down
jschnars

Number of posts : 119

PostSubject: Re: Monday night is BIG for Panthers   Monday night is BIG for Panthers EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 2:19 pm

I think once we win a Super Bowl we won't have to worry handling pressure, because our confidence will be so high. Just as the Giants confidence is so much higher this year.
Back to top Go down
JayJ1

JayJ1

PostSubject: Re: Monday night is BIG for Panthers   Monday night is BIG for Panthers EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 3:12 pm

Definitely more swagga!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Monday night is BIG for Panthers   Monday night is BIG for Panthers Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1