Growlers Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Growlers Den

Carolina Panthers Football

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» CALLING ALL PANTHER FANS
Notes: Short Smith casts a long shadow EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:28 pm by JohnDeezy89

» IT's Alive!!!!
Notes: Short Smith casts a long shadow EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:25 pm by JohnDeezy89

» SAINTS: Ten things to look for when New Orleans Saints minicamp begins next weekend
Notes: Short Smith casts a long shadow EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:25 am by PanthersRowell

» Colt Freaks - site for Colts fans
Notes: Short Smith casts a long shadow EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:19 am by PanthersRowell

» The Sports Zone
Notes: Short Smith casts a long shadow EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:16 am by PanthersRowell

» My article: Defensive Tackles
Notes: Short Smith casts a long shadow EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:14 am by PanthersRowell

» Hi Everybody!
Notes: Short Smith casts a long shadow EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:07 am by PanthersRowell

» Panthers add Newton (sore shoulder) to injury report as probable
Notes: Short Smith casts a long shadow EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:05 pm by RayRay

» As Panthers' Smith climbs, Titans' Johnson keeps falling
Notes: Short Smith casts a long shadow EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:04 pm by RayRay

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
September 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

Notes: Short Smith casts a long shadow

Go down 
AuthorMessage
G Killette
Admin
G Killette

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2008-10-18

Notes: Short Smith casts a long shadow Empty
PostSubject: Notes: Short Smith casts a long shadow   Notes: Short Smith casts a long shadow EmptySat Nov 29, 2008 12:45 pm

Panthers receiver a dominant force
By Bob McGinn of the Journal Sentinel

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/35245179.html

Green Bay - Wide receivers Steve Smith of Carolina and Andre Johnson of Houston not only will challenge the Green Bay Packers' secondary the next two Sundays at Lambeau Field but also draw the keen interest of an observer from the Packers' offense.

Greg Jennings will be watching to see how his game stacks up against two of the game's greats.

"Honestly, they've accomplished a lot more than me," Jennings said Friday. "I can't say I'm at their level. I'm trying to get where they're at. They have a lot more experience and probably understand a lot more.

"Well, I really hate to say I'm trying to get to where they're at. In all honesty, I'm trying to get to where I need to be. Where that is, who knows? It's obviously up."

Johnson, 27, leads the NFL in receptions (81) and receiving yards (1,071). Jennings, 25, is fourth in yards (966). And Smith, 29, is eighth in yards (853).

Smith, a third-round draft choice in 2001 from Utah, remains on top of his game in his eighth season. Smith will be seeking his first touchdown in five meetings against the Packers at noon Sunday.

"The man is a great, great football player. . . we're going to see what he has," safety Nick Collins said. "He does all the right things and what's necessary to get open for his quarterback. Hopefully, we can keep the windows smaller for him."

Smith, 5 feet 9 inches and 185 pounds, plays much bigger than that, according to cornerback Al Harris.

When Smith last played the Packers, he was held to two receptions for 12 yards when coordinator Jim Bates matched Harris on him at the line and kept Collins behind him. In four games, he has 13 catches for 188 yards and no touchdowns.

"He's one of the great ones," Harris said. "Fierce competitor. I'm a fan of all the guys who get out there and want to compete. You can't say nothing bad about the guy. When you turn on the tape all his effort is right there."

Both Jennings and Harris marveled at how Smith is able to find another gear and pull away from defenders.

"His separation is second to none," said Jennings. "He's a competitor to the 10th power."

Said Harris: "He's one of the best in the league after the catch. You'll see him a lot of times breaking away from guys when they've had him in their grasp."

Smith made the Pro Bowl as a kick returner in his rookie season and as a wide receiver in 2005 and '06.

In eight seasons, Smith has 479 catches for 6,780 yards (14.2) and 41 touchdowns. In six seasons, Johnson has 452 for 5,872 (13.0) and 25 touchdowns. In three seasons, Jennings has 154 for 2,518 (16.4) and 21 touchdowns.

Johnson (6-2, 223) is healthy now after missing seven games last season with a knee injury.

"He's a man-beast out there," Jennings said. "His physical stature and his physical appearance. . . he plays to his size. Typically, you don't see guys play as big as they are. Either they're a little timid or they don't really go up and get balls."

Injury list: Tackle Mark Tauscher shared time Friday with Tony Moll with the No. 1 offense and seems likely to start. He was listed questionable with a hamstring injury.

"I'm feeling OK," said Tauscher. "I feel a lot better as the week has gone on."

Tauscher repeatedly has played with injury over the years, which he says is an advantage.

"You have to know your body," he said. "It's not just, 'Well, you can go out and be tough and flop around.' It's, 'Can you be effective?' "

Coach Mike McCarthy listed 19 players on the injury list Friday. Linebacker Nick Barnett (knee), cornerback Pat Lee (knee) and running back DeShawn Wynn (calf) are out, but everyone else appears to have a good chance to play. The other questionable player was safety Aaron Rouse (ankle).

Collins, who participated fully despite a knee problem and lingering turf toe, laughingly said "my body's about to shut down on me" but is expected to play. McCarthy said he probably would activate just two among safeties Atari Bigby (ankle), Charlie Peprah (calf) and Rouse.

"I'm good," said Peprah. "I had to prove to them all week that I was good. Hopefully, they believe me."

Backup linebacker Adam Seward (ankle) is the only player on the Panthers' roster who won't be available.

No tinkering: Wide receiver Donald Driver said the Packers have not practiced to any extent the "wildcat" formation that more and more teams are using.

The Packers started the Week 9 game against Minnesota with Driver in the backfield alongside Aaron Rodgers, who lateraled it to him on a sweep for minus-2 yards.

"If I could have broken that tackle we would have been gone," he said.
Back to top Go down
https://growlersden.aforumfree.com

Page 1 of 1