Growlers Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Growlers Den

Carolina Panthers Football

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» CALLING ALL PANTHER FANS
DOLPHINS:  Miami Dolphins, Channing Crowder agree to deal EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:28 pm by JohnDeezy89

» IT's Alive!!!!
DOLPHINS:  Miami Dolphins, Channing Crowder agree to deal EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:25 pm by JohnDeezy89

» SAINTS: Ten things to look for when New Orleans Saints minicamp begins next weekend
DOLPHINS:  Miami Dolphins, Channing Crowder agree to deal EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:25 am by PanthersRowell

» Colt Freaks - site for Colts fans
DOLPHINS:  Miami Dolphins, Channing Crowder agree to deal EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:19 am by PanthersRowell

» The Sports Zone
DOLPHINS:  Miami Dolphins, Channing Crowder agree to deal EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:16 am by PanthersRowell

» My article: Defensive Tackles
DOLPHINS:  Miami Dolphins, Channing Crowder agree to deal EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:14 am by PanthersRowell

» Hi Everybody!
DOLPHINS:  Miami Dolphins, Channing Crowder agree to deal EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:07 am by PanthersRowell

» Panthers add Newton (sore shoulder) to injury report as probable
DOLPHINS:  Miami Dolphins, Channing Crowder agree to deal EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:05 pm by RayRay

» As Panthers' Smith climbs, Titans' Johnson keeps falling
DOLPHINS:  Miami Dolphins, Channing Crowder agree to deal EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:04 pm by RayRay

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
July 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

DOLPHINS: Miami Dolphins, Channing Crowder agree to deal

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dkes
Admin
Dkes

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2008-10-18

DOLPHINS:  Miami Dolphins, Channing Crowder agree to deal Empty
PostSubject: DOLPHINS: Miami Dolphins, Channing Crowder agree to deal   DOLPHINS:  Miami Dolphins, Channing Crowder agree to deal EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 3:35 pm

Miami Dolphins, Channing Crowder agree to deal
Channing Crowder and the Miami Dolphins have agreed to a three-year deal to keep the linebacker in Miami.

BY JEFF DARLINGTON
jdarlington@MiamiHerald.com
A few weeks ago, when Dolphins linebacker Channing Crowder and former teammate Zach Thomas were dining for lunch, Thomas extended some advice to Crowder that has resonated since: The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

''We talked about what it was like to go to another team,'' Crowder said. ``That's when I started to realize, if you're happy where you're at, then stay.''

On Wednesday, Crowder put the advice into motion, making an unexpected move to stay with the Dolphins by signing a three-year deal instead of testing the free agent market.

''I love Miami,'' Crowder said. ``So I basically told [agent] Joel [Segal] that if we could get to some numbers where everybody is happy, let's pull the trigger.''

Segal and Crowder initially wanted to get a deal with a few more years. They seemed set on the stance until Crowder began realizing how much he has enjoyed playing for coach Tony Sparano and linebackers coach George Edwards.

Crowder, who calls Edwards ''the best assistant in the NFL, period,'' said he began hearing from more and more former Dolphins players whom he respects that he should consider working toward a way to remain in Miami.

Recently, he had long discussions with former Dolphins nose tackle and close friend Keith Traylor, who played for six teams during his NFL career. Traylor, like Thomas, told Crowder not to get caught up in the hype of free agency just for the money.

''As good as we did last year, I've had three head coaches in four years,'' Crowder said. ``But now, I know the system. I know the defensive scheme. I know who my linebacker coach and my defensive coordinator will be. Now, I can just build on that.

``Now, I can maximize my talent. It's time for me to become a Pro Bowler.''

SOME OTHER NEEDS

The Dolphins, meanwhile, still have three other players whom they have yet to re-sign, but the team is continuing to work toward a deal with all of them. Specifically, agent Drew Rosenhaus said there is still hope that safeties Yeremiah Bell and Renaldo Hill could return.

''Still talking on both players,'' Rosenhaus said in a text message. ``Anything can happen between now and the start of free agency.''

The ability to lock up tackle Vernon Carey and Crowder before the start of free agency Friday is a major score.

Crowder's first four years in the league have been consistent in terms of tackle production. Crowder, 25, also has started 50 games during that span -- a high number for a third-round pick.

Crowder, though, has not been a consistent big-play linebacker, and questions about the long-term stability of his surgically repaired knees have caused some to question his worth. The Dolphins have maintained similar concerns, keeping the team from locking him up to a long-term deal sooner.

Those lingering doubts began to wear on Crowder last season, when he said he ''wasn't himself'' as he constantly found himself wondering why he couldn't get a new deal.

Then, about a month ago, Crowder said he received a call from general manager Jeff Ireland.

''I was sitting at home and he asked me to go talk to him,'' Crowder said. ``Ireland and [Bill] Parcells were there. They knew I was upset about not having a contract. I wasn't being myself. But they told me they wanted me to be a Dolphin.''

FAR APART

Initially, the sides were too far apart when it came to contract length and dollars. As they moved closer, Crowder was willing to make the concession.

Although Crowder said he wouldn't have accepted the deal if it wasn't fair, he also noted that he doesn't know if he would have stayed if it were for any other staff.

''Not to bad-mouth any other coaches, but if another coach had been here, I don't know whether I would have stayed,'' Crowder said. ``I'm jacked. My mom is happy, my sister is happy and I'm happy.''

Miami Herald sportswriter Armando Salguero contributed to this report

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/football/story/921820.html
Back to top Go down

DOLPHINS: Miami Dolphins, Channing Crowder agree to deal
Page 1 of 1