Growlers Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Growlers Den

Carolina Panthers Football

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» CALLING ALL PANTHER FANS
Cutting Pacman was easy; T.O. decision is tough EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:28 pm by JohnDeezy89

» IT's Alive!!!!
Cutting Pacman was easy; T.O. decision is tough EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:25 pm by JohnDeezy89

» SAINTS: Ten things to look for when New Orleans Saints minicamp begins next weekend
Cutting Pacman was easy; T.O. decision is tough EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:25 am by PanthersRowell

» Colt Freaks - site for Colts fans
Cutting Pacman was easy; T.O. decision is tough EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:19 am by PanthersRowell

» The Sports Zone
Cutting Pacman was easy; T.O. decision is tough EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:16 am by PanthersRowell

» My article: Defensive Tackles
Cutting Pacman was easy; T.O. decision is tough EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:14 am by PanthersRowell

» Hi Everybody!
Cutting Pacman was easy; T.O. decision is tough EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:07 am by PanthersRowell

» Panthers add Newton (sore shoulder) to injury report as probable
Cutting Pacman was easy; T.O. decision is tough EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:05 pm by RayRay

» As Panthers' Smith climbs, Titans' Johnson keeps falling
Cutting Pacman was easy; T.O. decision is tough EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:04 pm by RayRay

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
July 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

Cutting Pacman was easy; T.O. decision is tough

Go down 
AuthorMessage
G Killette
Admin
G Killette

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2008-10-18

Cutting Pacman was easy; T.O. decision is tough Empty
PostSubject: Cutting Pacman was easy; T.O. decision is tough   Cutting Pacman was easy; T.O. decision is tough EmptySat Feb 14, 2009 12:22 pm

by John Czarnecki
John Czarnecki has been the editorial consultant for FOX NFL Sunday since its 1994 inception. This season marks Czarnecki's 30th year covering the NFL. He is one of 44 selectors to the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Updated: February 10, 2009,
11:59 PM EST

OK, the Cowboys saved $1 million by releasing cornerback Pacman Jones. But the money is chump change when compared to the bigger locker-room issues still facing this franchise, ones that owner Jerry Jones has chosen to ignore for the time being. Everyone knew Pacman was expendable; what everyone wants to know is if Terrell Owens will join him?

Getting rid of T.O. has been the battle cry of many, believing that his disruptive style doesn't sit well with quarterback Tony Romo and offensive coordinator Jason Garrett. But I don't see Jones bowing to Romo until he wins a Super Bowl. The bottom line is Jerry has more concerns about Romo's abilities as a quarterback than he does about T.O.'s finger-pointing. This doesn't mean that the Dallas locker room doesn't remain a toxic environment, but Jones doesn't want to discard important players when the Cowboys still can't win a playoff game.

Or not even make the playoffs, as the case may be.

There were some who hoped that former Cowboys player and coach Dan Reeves would start cleaning up the mess. It was a novel move by Jones to hire Reeves and have him advise Wade Phillips on how to be a head coach while also tinkering with Garrett's offensive design. Reeves was actually at work for a couple days when Jones inserted a contract clause forcing Reeves to punch a time clock. True to his character, Reeves said no thank you.

So much for Reeves cleaning up the mess.

It's almost like Jerry had to invent something ridiculous in order to get Reeves to take a hike because it was a good bet that Reeves would eventually view T.O. as toxic, too. Yes, Reeves has loosened up in his old age, but we know he still sees football as a team game, not one dictated to by a bunch of selfish wide receivers.

Receivers can be a scary bunch. Roy Williams, who was removed from winless Detroit at a hefty cost in draft choices and $26.6 million guaranteed, has followed Owens' lead in complaining about Romo and Garrett. He blames them for his shoddy performance down the stretch for the Cowboys while everyone was giving him a poor performance pass because of plantar fasciitis in his foot. Williams couched his criticism while admitting he actually likes Garrett. How that works is anyone's guess.

The Cowboys' world remains a revolving one. It is too early for absolutes. My guess is that the status quo remains until training camp opens. By then, Pacman will probably find a new NFL home, too.

Welcome, Matt

Through the years, Terry Bradshaw has gotten himself in hot water with the likes of John Elway and Eli Manning because he criticized their draft-day methods. Bradshaw is a fan of the draft and believes that players, via their agents and famous fathers, shouldn't circumvent the system. Call him very old school.

"That's why I was pleased to read (Georgia quarterback) Matt Stafford's words that he wanted to go to Detroit and help turn that franchise around," Bradshaw told me. "I said the same thing about Pittsburgh a long time ago. I said I welcomed the opportunity to hopefully turn the Steelers around. I have always believed that young players should work within the NFL system. The draft is a good system. It's the only way bad teams have a chance of getting better."

When the Steelers drafted Bradshaw, they were coming off a 1-13 season. Three seasons later, Pittsburgh was 11-3 and just missed upsetting the unbeaten Dolphins in the AFC Championship game.

Elway, you may remember, didn't want to play for the Colts and forced a trade to Denver. Eli didn't want to play for the Chargers.

"To this day, I still don't know what was wrong with playing in San Diego," Bradshaw said. "Seems like a nice city to me."

Yes, it worked out for both Elway and Eli. But what Bradshaw likes about Stafford is that he's willing to accept the challenge of going to the league's worst team. Granted, he will be rewarded with millions, but there are many who believe Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford decided to remain in school because he didn't want to be on Detroit's wish list.

Spreading the love

Speaking of quarterbacks, it was interesting to read Jon Gruden's positive comments about Florida quarterback Tim Tebow. Gruden, who is studying the college spread offense which Tebow operates so flawlessly at the U. of Florida, may not be the best judge of quarterbacks, considering one reason why he's unemployed right now was his failure to develop one while with the Tampa Bay Bucs. Gruden was forever looking for the next Rich Gannon, preferring experience and knowledge over youth.

Most scouts don't want to hear about Tebow being an NFL quarterback. Most of them believe he will be a tight end or a running back in the NFL. That seems silly to me.

Recently, I spoke to a NFL personnel man I trust.

"I think a lot of scouts don't understand what it takes to be an NFL quarterback," he said. "I'd say 70 percent of it is being smart, tough-minded and having the ability to lead a team. We talk all the time about quarterbacks' arms. Now, Tebow may not have the greatest arm, but he has all the intangibles and all the smarts and toughness that you need. Usually, it's the other way around. A kid has great physical tools, but doesn't know how to lead or deal with adversity. Tebow deserves the opportunity to try quarterback in the NFL because he's off the charts when it comes to leadership and everything you need in your quarterback."

I totally agree. Tebow deserves the chance to fail at quarterback. I mean, the kid is a winner.
Link
Back to top Go down
https://growlersden.aforumfree.com

Page 1 of 1