Growlers Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Growlers Den

Carolina Panthers Football

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» CALLING ALL PANTHER FANS
Smith calls Tomlinson in effort to clear the air EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:28 pm by JohnDeezy89

» IT's Alive!!!!
Smith calls Tomlinson in effort to clear the air EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:25 pm by JohnDeezy89

» SAINTS: Ten things to look for when New Orleans Saints minicamp begins next weekend
Smith calls Tomlinson in effort to clear the air EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:25 am by PanthersRowell

» Colt Freaks - site for Colts fans
Smith calls Tomlinson in effort to clear the air EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:19 am by PanthersRowell

» The Sports Zone
Smith calls Tomlinson in effort to clear the air EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:16 am by PanthersRowell

» My article: Defensive Tackles
Smith calls Tomlinson in effort to clear the air EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:14 am by PanthersRowell

» Hi Everybody!
Smith calls Tomlinson in effort to clear the air EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:07 am by PanthersRowell

» Panthers add Newton (sore shoulder) to injury report as probable
Smith calls Tomlinson in effort to clear the air EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:05 pm by RayRay

» As Panthers' Smith climbs, Titans' Johnson keeps falling
Smith calls Tomlinson in effort to clear the air EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:04 pm by RayRay

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
July 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

Smith calls Tomlinson in effort to clear the air

Go down 
AuthorMessage
G Killette
Admin
G Killette

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2008-10-18

Smith calls Tomlinson in effort to clear the air Empty
PostSubject: Smith calls Tomlinson in effort to clear the air   Smith calls Tomlinson in effort to clear the air EmptyWed Jan 28, 2009 11:13 am

January 27
San Diego Union-Tribune
"The Chargers on Monday made moves to reach out to their star running back and to their fans.

First, General Manager A.J. Smith called LaDainian Tomlinson to talk to him about comments he made last week that have drawn fire across the nation and inside his organization. The team then posted a story on its Web site.

“It was important to me that LT know exactly what happened,” Smith said on the site. “I just answered a question and unfortunately my response was inappropriate. After reading my response to the question, I can see why it was interpreted the way it was. I absolutely meant no disrespect toward LT – none. I have the utmost respect for him on two fronts – as a player and as a person.”

The Chargers are considering what to do with Tomlinson, who is due to make $6.725 million and count $8.79 million against the salary cap in a year in which they are trying to sign Philip Rivers and others to big-money, long-term deals.

Tomlinson likely will be offered a restructured contract in mid-February, in which he will be offered a pay cut with incentives that would allow him to recoup some money. Should Tomlinson refuse, he likely would be released after eight record-breaking seasons in San Diego.

The furor Smith addressed with Tomlinson on Monday began with a quote Smith gave The San Diego Union-Tribune last week. Asked about a statement Tomlinson made on his Web site Wednesday, Smith responded in a way that was widely interpreted as his mocking Tomlinson.

Sources on Sunday told the Union-Tribune team President Dean Spanos was “very upset” about the public back and forth, and linebacker Shawne Merriman spoke for many players who have privately expressed anger over the comments.

“That (stuff) doesn't help bring a Super Bowl to San Diego,” Merriman said Sunday. “And that (stuff) needs to stop, period. It needs to stop now.”

Said Smith: “Dean Spanos and many members of our front office and coaching staff know exactly how I feel about LT. And that is what has gotten me through this difficult time. And most important, LT knows how I feel about him.” "
link
Back to top Go down
https://growlersden.aforumfree.com

Page 1 of 1