Growlers Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Growlers Den

Carolina Panthers Football

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» CALLING ALL PANTHER FANS
Cards' Smith hope to see mom's dream come true EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:28 pm by JohnDeezy89

» IT's Alive!!!!
Cards' Smith hope to see mom's dream come true EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:25 pm by JohnDeezy89

» SAINTS: Ten things to look for when New Orleans Saints minicamp begins next weekend
Cards' Smith hope to see mom's dream come true EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:25 am by PanthersRowell

» Colt Freaks - site for Colts fans
Cards' Smith hope to see mom's dream come true EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:19 am by PanthersRowell

» The Sports Zone
Cards' Smith hope to see mom's dream come true EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:16 am by PanthersRowell

» My article: Defensive Tackles
Cards' Smith hope to see mom's dream come true EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:14 am by PanthersRowell

» Hi Everybody!
Cards' Smith hope to see mom's dream come true EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:07 am by PanthersRowell

» Panthers add Newton (sore shoulder) to injury report as probable
Cards' Smith hope to see mom's dream come true EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:05 pm by RayRay

» As Panthers' Smith climbs, Titans' Johnson keeps falling
Cards' Smith hope to see mom's dream come true EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:04 pm by RayRay

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
July 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

Cards' Smith hope to see mom's dream come true

Go down 
AuthorMessage
G Killette
Admin
G Killette

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2008-10-18

Cards' Smith hope to see mom's dream come true Empty
PostSubject: Cards' Smith hope to see mom's dream come true   Cards' Smith hope to see mom's dream come true EmptySat Jan 17, 2009 1:11 pm

January 17
East Valley Tribune columnist Scott Bordow
"A few minutes before Sunday's NFC championship game begins, Cardinals fullback Terrelle Smith will kneel near a pylon in the end zone and say a prayer.

He'll ask God to protect him from injury. He'll pray for good health for his teammates and the Philadelphia Eagles. He'll recite a "very personal" prayer that his mother, Sheryll, taught him.

When he's done, he'll think back to a day in April, when his mother told him about a dream she had.

"She said, 'I had a dream you played in one of the biggest games in Arizona Cardinals history,' " Smith recalled. "You'll either go to the Pro Bowl or the Super Bowl. I don't know which one."

Smith, an Arizona State product, hasn't played in a Pro Bowl during his nine-year career. The Cardinals never sniffed the Super Bowl in their previous 20 seasons in the Valley.

But Smith wasn't about to throw cold water on his mom's premonition.

"I was like, 'That's a beautiful thing, mom. I really pray and hope and wish that it happens that way.' "

Only one thing could be better: If Sheryll was around to celebrate with her son.

• • •

Sheryll Smith died of cancer on Dec. 10, four years and eight days after her husband, Otis, passed away from the disease. She was 56. He was 63.

"It's a very bittersweet time for me," Terrelle said. "But I feel her presence. She is within me. So is my father.

"It's not something to be angry about. All I can do is thank God my father and mother are in a better place and try to continue their legacy."

Smith will admit that he hasn't always done that. After being drafted by the New Orleans Saints in 2000, he let the fame and riches of an NFL life go to his head.

"You come in as a rookie, and they give you all this money, you think the light is red for everybody else but green for you," he said.

As cancer began to ravage his father's body, however, Smith slowly began to adopt the Christian values his parents had taught him.

"It's about understanding life has a purpose and a meaning," he said.

His parents embodied those principals. The Smiths had nine children of their own (eight boys, one girl), ran a group home on a ranch in southern California and, by Terrelle's estimation, took care of 112 kids over a 26-year span.

Some of the kids were runaways. Some were blind. Some were physically disabled. The Smiths didn't care. What's family for?

"It was crazy," Smith said with a smile. "When we went to the grocery store, it was like a $1,000 bill."

Every kid who came into the Smiths' home was given an animal to take care of. Sheryll believed the children would learn how to love by taking care of their pet.

"We had horses, chickens, goats, sheep, everything," Smith said. "It was like Noah's Ark at our house."

Otis, a mechanic who ran his own shop, supported the family. And in their spare time - is that possible with 112 kids? - the Smiths ran Parents Against C"
Link
Back to top Go down
https://growlersden.aforumfree.com

Page 1 of 1