Growlers Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Growlers Den

Carolina Panthers Football

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» CALLING ALL PANTHER FANS
Standing pat could doom underachieving Cowboys EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:28 pm by JohnDeezy89

» IT's Alive!!!!
Standing pat could doom underachieving Cowboys EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:25 pm by JohnDeezy89

» SAINTS: Ten things to look for when New Orleans Saints minicamp begins next weekend
Standing pat could doom underachieving Cowboys EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:25 am by PanthersRowell

» Colt Freaks - site for Colts fans
Standing pat could doom underachieving Cowboys EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:19 am by PanthersRowell

» The Sports Zone
Standing pat could doom underachieving Cowboys EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:16 am by PanthersRowell

» My article: Defensive Tackles
Standing pat could doom underachieving Cowboys EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:14 am by PanthersRowell

» Hi Everybody!
Standing pat could doom underachieving Cowboys EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:07 am by PanthersRowell

» Panthers add Newton (sore shoulder) to injury report as probable
Standing pat could doom underachieving Cowboys EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:05 pm by RayRay

» As Panthers' Smith climbs, Titans' Johnson keeps falling
Standing pat could doom underachieving Cowboys EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:04 pm by RayRay

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
September 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

Standing pat could doom underachieving Cowboys

Go down 
AuthorMessage
G Killette
Admin
G Killette

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2008-10-18

Standing pat could doom underachieving Cowboys Empty
PostSubject: Standing pat could doom underachieving Cowboys   Standing pat could doom underachieving Cowboys EmptyTue Dec 30, 2008 9:22 am

by Alex Marvez
Alex Marvez is a Senior NFL Writer for FOXSports.com. He's covered the NFL for 14 seasons as a beat writer and is the president of the Pro Football Writers of America.

Updated: December 29, 2008, 2:55 AM EST

Brace yourselves, Dallas Cowboys fans.

It gets worse than Sunday's 44-6 season-ending loss at Philadelphia.
Potentially a lot worse.

Squandering a playoff chance in what Cowboys wide receiver Terrell Owens described as a "butt-whipping" was bad enough. But a glimpse into the future may be even more disheartening.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones reiterated his commitment to Wade Phillips as head coach for 2009 despite Phillips' inability to guide such a talented roster into the postseason. Jones repeatedly stressed "continuity" i.e. the idea that Dallas would be better in Year Three under Phillips and his staff than in two previous seasons without a playoff victory. The same Cowboys that slipped from 13-3 in 2007 to 9-7 this year.

Good luck selling the Dallas faithful on that concept.

Amazingly, Jones sounded rational compared to Tony Romo.

I'd like to believe that a battered Romo simply wasn't himself when addressing the media at an interview podium inside Lincoln Financial Field. He had collapsed in the shower just minutes earlier. He spoke with glassy eyes and an uneven speech pattern. I'm also aware Romo often sounds more like a laid-back follower than a leader even when clear-headed, which isn't how quarterbacks are supposed to act.

Still, even by Romo's standards, he sounded stunningly apathetic for a player whose reputation as a poor big-game performer took another hit with a three-turnover outing.

"I've had a lot worse happen to me than a loss in a sporting event, that's for sure," Romo said. "If this is the worst thing that ever happens to me, I've lived a pretty good life."

Somewhere, Troy Aikman is retching.

Owens was asked about the late-season struggles that have marred Romo's first three seasons as a Cowboys starter. Unlike after last year's playoff loss to the New York Giants, Owens didn't muster a tear-filled defense of his quarterback.

"I can't put my finger on it," Owens said. "I can't assess it. I won't try to. I think every individual has to evaluate himself across the board."

Owens didn't stop there. While first proclaiming that he "didn't want to answer" what changes Dallas needs, Owens proceeded to list offensive problems from communication to blocking to coordinator Jason Garrett's play-calling. He knocked the special teams. He criticized overall sloppy play — particularly turnovers and an NFL-high penalty total — that Dallas ultimately couldn't overcome.

"Mediocre" was the word Owens used to describe his season and that of the Cowboys, especially after it ended with consecutive losses to Philadelphia and Baltimore.

"Really, it's a shameful way to go out," Owens said. "With our destiny in our hands, we stunk it up."

That's right. Terrell Owens — voice of reason.

The Cowboys didn't get any favors before kickoff. Philadelphia (9-6-1) would have gotten eliminated from postseason contention had Tampa Bay or Chicago won their respective games. But when the Bucs and Bears lost, the Eagles-Cowboys clash took on a playoff feel. The emotional boost for Philadelphia was obvious. Even normally stoic Eagles coach Andy Reid was exhorting cheers from the sideline.

By the time Fly, Eagles, Fly (the team's fight song) blared over the public address system just before halftime, Philadelphia could have booked its trip to Minnesota for next Sunday's first-round playoff game.

Dallas surrendered 24 unanswered second-quarter points — 24 — to an Eagles squad that mustered only a field goal in last Sunday's loss to Washington.

Not even the pending implosion of Texas Stadium can match this Cowboys collapse.

Philadelphia entered having scored touchdowns on just two of its past 12 trips inside the red-zone. In a 12 ½-minute span, the Eagles marched into the end zone on all three attempts.

Things for the Cowboys then got worse because of a player still making news for the wrong reasons. Adam Jones — who committed a personal foul on Philadelphia's third touchdown drive — fumbled a kickoff with three seconds left in the second quarter. David Akers, a notoriously shaky long-distance kicker, then nailed a 50-yard field goal to extend Philadelphia's lead to 27-3.

Halftime adjustments? Please. Romo admitted the Cowboys were "exposed" by their inability to block Philadelphia's blitzes and free receivers on hot routes.

Any shot at an improbable Cowboys comeback ended when Romo fumbled on a Brian Dawkins sack, leading to a 73-yard touchdown return by Eagles defensive end Chris Clemons. Running back Marion Barber was the next Cowboys to lose the handle. Joselio Hanson returned that fumble 96 yards for another score. He sauntered into the end zone doing an impression of legendary cornerback Deion Sanders, who was a member of the last Cowboys team to win a playoff game.

Twelve seasons ago.

The Cowboys' head coach at that time was Barry Switzer. Even one year removed from a Super Bowl victory, there were clear signs that Switzer was losing his grip on a loaded team that former coach Jimmy Johnson was largely responsible for assembling. Still, Jones was willing to give Switzer another year to right the ship.

The Cowboys sunk — much like they're doing under Phillips.

Why should anyone believe things will be any different in 2009? A roster that underachieved this year under Phillips will return largely intact. The Cowboys are locked into long-term contracts with players whose performance slipped this year like Owens, left tackle Flozell Adams and free safety Ken Hamlin. Romo still hasn't proven he can win when it matters most. And who knows what off-field nonsense will ensue the next few months with Owens and Adam Jones.

"It is going to be a long offseason," Dallas tight end Jason Witten said.

One that started way too early for a team that has no excuses it isn't still playing in January.
Link
Back to top Go down
https://growlersden.aforumfree.com

Page 1 of 1