Growlers Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Growlers Den

Carolina Panthers Football

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» CALLING ALL PANTHER FANS
Moose adds fuel to ground game EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:28 pm by JohnDeezy89

» IT's Alive!!!!
Moose adds fuel to ground game EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:25 pm by JohnDeezy89

» SAINTS: Ten things to look for when New Orleans Saints minicamp begins next weekend
Moose adds fuel to ground game EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:25 am by PanthersRowell

» Colt Freaks - site for Colts fans
Moose adds fuel to ground game EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:19 am by PanthersRowell

» The Sports Zone
Moose adds fuel to ground game EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:16 am by PanthersRowell

» My article: Defensive Tackles
Moose adds fuel to ground game EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:14 am by PanthersRowell

» Hi Everybody!
Moose adds fuel to ground game EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:07 am by PanthersRowell

» Panthers add Newton (sore shoulder) to injury report as probable
Moose adds fuel to ground game EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:05 pm by RayRay

» As Panthers' Smith climbs, Titans' Johnson keeps falling
Moose adds fuel to ground game EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:04 pm by RayRay

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
September 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

Moose adds fuel to ground game

Go down 
AuthorMessage
G Killette
Admin
G Killette

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2008-10-18

Moose adds fuel to ground game Empty
PostSubject: Moose adds fuel to ground game   Moose adds fuel to ground game EmptyFri Dec 19, 2008 8:48 pm

December 19
Charlotte Observer
"The Carolina Panthers' Muhsin Muhammad hasn't always been a receiver, but he's always enjoyed blocking.

As a linebacker and running back at Waverly (Mich.) High, Muhammad didn't shy from contact. When he moved up to Michigan State and was switched to receiver, he played in a Spartans offense that required plenty of downfield blocking.

Now in his 13th season in the NFL and facing one of the biggest regular-season games of his career, that skill has never been more important to Muhammad or valuable to the Panthers.

When Carolina (11-3) faces the New York Giants (11-3) in what is forecast to be wintry conditions Sunday night in East Rutherford, N.J., Muhammad - lined up way out there near the sideline - will play a critical role in how well the Panthers and their fourth-ranked rushing offense perform.

"The more you can do, the more you help out your offense," said Muhammad. "Blocking, I think I'm pretty good at it. So if I can help out that way, I will."

Muhammad is the team's second leading receiver (54 catches for 764 yards and four touchdowns). But it's what he does off the ball that makes him different from many NFL receivers.

"I didn't play a lot of wide receiver until I got to college, so I guess you can say that's where most of the physical stuff comes from," he said.

Few others receivers - Pittsburgh's Hines Ward comes to mind as another - get downfield and get physical with a defense as Muhammad does. His ability (and willingness) to block not only helps receivers like Steve Smith after they catch the ball, but running backs DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart when they get past the line of scrimmage.

"He'll block a guy, then slam him down," said quarterback Jake Delhomme. "There's a presence right there. That sets a tone."

The Panthers have 33 runs this season of 15 yards or more, many of them thanks to Muhammad's blocking.

"With 'Moose' out there, that's where you can get the long runs, the breakaway runs," said Delhomme. "Very seldom does a running back get to the second level without there always being a safety there waiting for him. But when you're blocking that safety or getting a piece of him, the (running back) can take it to the house.""
Link
Back to top Go down
https://growlersden.aforumfree.com

Page 1 of 1