Growlers Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Growlers Den

Carolina Panthers Football

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» CALLING ALL PANTHER FANS
Richardson surprises, delights team EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:28 pm by JohnDeezy89

» IT's Alive!!!!
Richardson surprises, delights team EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:25 pm by JohnDeezy89

» SAINTS: Ten things to look for when New Orleans Saints minicamp begins next weekend
Richardson surprises, delights team EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:25 am by PanthersRowell

» Colt Freaks - site for Colts fans
Richardson surprises, delights team EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:19 am by PanthersRowell

» The Sports Zone
Richardson surprises, delights team EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:16 am by PanthersRowell

» My article: Defensive Tackles
Richardson surprises, delights team EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:14 am by PanthersRowell

» Hi Everybody!
Richardson surprises, delights team EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:07 am by PanthersRowell

» Panthers add Newton (sore shoulder) to injury report as probable
Richardson surprises, delights team EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:05 pm by RayRay

» As Panthers' Smith climbs, Titans' Johnson keeps falling
Richardson surprises, delights team EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:04 pm by RayRay

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
September 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

Richardson surprises, delights team

Go down 
AuthorMessage
G Killette
Admin
G Killette

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2008-10-18

Richardson surprises, delights team Empty
PostSubject: Richardson surprises, delights team   Richardson surprises, delights team EmptyTue Dec 16, 2008 1:01 pm

December 15
Charlotte Observer
"Jerry Richardson is a regular on the JumboTron at Bank of America Stadium. If he's in the owner's suite, he's also on the scoreboard at least twice a game.

Nobody expected to see him there Sunday. Richardson had missed Carolina's victory against Tampa Bay six nights earlier. Two days after the Tampa Bay game, the Panthers announced as quietly as they could that Richardson, who owns the team, was a candidate for a heart transplant.

He's had heart trouble before. He underwent quadruple bypass surgery in 2002 and had a pacemaker installed last month.

Richardson checked into Carolinas Medical Center more than a week ago and did not check out until Friday or Saturday.

Who goes from the hospital to the game?

A man who, despite the wait for a heart, wants to live as he always has.

This is his team, and when his team plays he sits in the front row of his suite behind the west end zone, face impassive, windows open, wife Rosalind at his side.

In the third quarter of Carolina's 30-10 victory against Denver on Sunday, several of the Panthers looked at the JumboTron and saw Rosalind gently put a Panther blanket over her husband's shoulders.

"It was sweet," says running back DeAngelo Williams.

The owner undoubtedly would say the same about Williams' 56-yard touchdown run and Carolina's win.

"Hopefully it's the gift that keeps on giving," says Williams. "The only thing better than 11-3 (the Panthers' record) is 12-3. He (Richardson) is a friend, and he's family."

The Panthers had no idea he was coming. Nobody at the stadium did.

"It hasn't seemed right, him not being up there," says tackle Jordan Gross. "So I was all smiles. He looked good."

Writing about Richardson is awkward because he doesn't want to be written about. The appeal of a team for some millionaires is the attention and, they hope, adulation ownership confers. I see owners of visiting teams walk into Bank of America Stadium with so many security guards that they look as if they're the lead float in a parade. Can you see me now?

Richardson travels with the lone security guard on which the league insists. He doesn't own a cell phone. And I promise you he doesn't Twitter.

What Richardson does, when his health permits, is get into a golf cart and on game days cruise around the stadium, sometimes picking up fans and giving them a ride up the ramps to their seats. I stopped at a parking lot four blocks from the stadium before the game Sunday and somebody there who wanted to let me know what a prime spot it was said, "Jerry Richardson has been here.""
Link
Back to top Go down
https://growlersden.aforumfree.com

Page 1 of 1