Growlers Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Growlers Den

Carolina Panthers Football

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» CALLING ALL PANTHER FANS
Sloppy tackling bedevils defense EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:28 pm by JohnDeezy89

» IT's Alive!!!!
Sloppy tackling bedevils defense EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:25 pm by JohnDeezy89

» SAINTS: Ten things to look for when New Orleans Saints minicamp begins next weekend
Sloppy tackling bedevils defense EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:25 am by PanthersRowell

» Colt Freaks - site for Colts fans
Sloppy tackling bedevils defense EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:19 am by PanthersRowell

» The Sports Zone
Sloppy tackling bedevils defense EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:16 am by PanthersRowell

» My article: Defensive Tackles
Sloppy tackling bedevils defense EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:14 am by PanthersRowell

» Hi Everybody!
Sloppy tackling bedevils defense EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:07 am by PanthersRowell

» Panthers add Newton (sore shoulder) to injury report as probable
Sloppy tackling bedevils defense EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:05 pm by RayRay

» As Panthers' Smith climbs, Titans' Johnson keeps falling
Sloppy tackling bedevils defense EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:04 pm by RayRay

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
July 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

Sloppy tackling bedevils defense

Go down 
AuthorMessage
G Killette
Admin
G Killette

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2008-10-18

Sloppy tackling bedevils defense Empty
PostSubject: Sloppy tackling bedevils defense   Sloppy tackling bedevils defense EmptySat Nov 29, 2008 12:43 pm

By Charles Chandler
cchandler@charlotteobserver.com
Posted: Thursday, Nov. 27, 2008

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/panthers/story/379732.html

Carolina Panthers coach John Fox generally dismisses any statistics except wins and losses when he's talking to reporters, but behind the scenes, he and his staff discussed some disturbing numbers with the team's defensive players.

In an attempt to show the consequences of poor tackling in last week's 45-28 loss in Atlanta, defensive tackle Damione Lewis said the coaches told the players the Falcons gained 193 yards after initial hits by Carolina defenders.

“We can't have that,” said Lewis.

“That's way too many. There have been games when we haven't given up that many (total) yards.

“That's pretty much ridiculous for our defense. We've got to get back to playing hungry defense.”

Lewis said this week was the first time the coaches have discussed a yards-after-first-contact stat with the defense, and that the game film provided vivid proof of the problem.

“It (was) ugly,” he said. “You see guys coming in and hitting a guy, getting shots on them and they're bouncing off.”

Pace picks up in practice

Lewis said the Panthers practiced at a faster pace Wednesday in hopes of getting off to a quicker start Sunday at Green Bay.

The Panthers have had sluggish beginnings in each of the past four games, especially the past two weeks when Detroit and Atlanta combined to keep the ball almost five times as long as Carolina in the first quarter – 24 minutes, 31 seconds to 5:29

Lewis said the defense was forced to think quicker in practice because the offense was setting up must faster than usual.

“I think it's more game-realistic,” he said. “It seems last week (at Atlanta) we were getting beat out of the huddle and a couple of times we didn't have our hands down on the (defensive) line when they were napping the ball.

“Practicing the way we're practicing this week, as soon as we're getting out of the huddle (the offense is) right there, so we're snapping around and getting in our stance. … I think it'll be a good look for us.”

Packers fan as a kid? Fox hedges about allegiance

Fox grew up as a Packers' fan. Well, it seemed that way Wednesday until he started to backpedal.

When asked about the significance of playing at Green Bay's Lambeau Field, Fox said it's loaded with history and added:

“I go way back to 1966 when I was a Packers' fan and some of the things that took place there. That was a long time ago. I'm embarrassed to say I remember that, but I do.”

Fox, 53, was 11 during that football season, when the Packers won Super Bowl I against Kansas City.

When asked if Green Bay was his favorite team as a youngster, Fox hedged.

“Uh, I can't say that,” he said with a laugh, repeatedly declining to affirm his previous allegiance.

But he went on to say his favorite Green Bay players in ‘66 were quarterback Bart Starr, running back Jim Taylor and defensive back Herb Adderly.

Briefly

Receiver Steve Smith said he should have caught Jake Delhomme's 5-yard pass into the end zone early in the second quarter during Sunday's loss in Atlanta.

It appeared Delhomme threw the ball too high, but Smith was able to get his hands on it.

The play happened on third-and-goal, causing the Panthers to settle for a John Kasay field goal instead of getting a touchdown.

Smith called it a drop.

“It was probably a difficult catch, but I could have made it,” he said.

“I didn't look it in all the way. It happens, so you just get on the horse and keep riding.”

Linebacker/special teamer Adam Seward did not practice Wednesday because of an ankle injury suffered against the Falcons. Jonathan Stewart continues to be bothered by a heel injury, but he fully participated in practice.

Fox said Delhomme (stitches from shoulder cut) was removed from the injury report because the team doesn't consider his condition an injury.
Back to top Go down
https://growlersden.aforumfree.com

Page 1 of 1