Growlers Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Growlers Den

Carolina Panthers Football

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» CALLING ALL PANTHER FANS
Panthers feel like their backs are against the wall EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:28 pm by JohnDeezy89

» IT's Alive!!!!
Panthers feel like their backs are against the wall EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:25 pm by JohnDeezy89

» SAINTS: Ten things to look for when New Orleans Saints minicamp begins next weekend
Panthers feel like their backs are against the wall EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:25 am by PanthersRowell

» Colt Freaks - site for Colts fans
Panthers feel like their backs are against the wall EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:19 am by PanthersRowell

» The Sports Zone
Panthers feel like their backs are against the wall EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:16 am by PanthersRowell

» My article: Defensive Tackles
Panthers feel like their backs are against the wall EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:14 am by PanthersRowell

» Hi Everybody!
Panthers feel like their backs are against the wall EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:07 am by PanthersRowell

» Panthers add Newton (sore shoulder) to injury report as probable
Panthers feel like their backs are against the wall EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:05 pm by RayRay

» As Panthers' Smith climbs, Titans' Johnson keeps falling
Panthers feel like their backs are against the wall EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:04 pm by RayRay

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
July 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

Panthers feel like their backs are against the wall

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
G Killette
Admin
G Killette

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2008-10-18

Panthers feel like their backs are against the wall Empty
PostSubject: Panthers feel like their backs are against the wall   Panthers feel like their backs are against the wall EmptyThu Nov 27, 2008 5:29 pm

WEDNESDAY NOTES: Panthers feel like their backs are against the wall
Written by Steve Reed
11/26/2008 4:25:13 PM
http://www.carolinagrowl.com/Read.aspx?Story=881
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Del.icio.us | Print | Email | Font Size
CHARLOTTE – They may be 8-3 on the season, but the Carolina Panthers feel like a team with backs against the wall, according to linebacker Na'il Diggs.

The Panthers are tied with Tampa Bay for the division lead, while Atlanta (7-4) and New Orleans (6-5) are lurking close behind.

“I do feel that way because our division is a strong division,” Diggs said. “In my opinion, I think New Orleans is the type of team that can still be in it. With (five) games left, they could still be in the hunt, they’re a very explosive football team and everybody in our division is playing strong good football right now.”

Diggs said he noticed players a little more fired up than normal at practice following a 45-28 loss to Atlanta.

“Yeah, I personally (had chip on shoulder), not only from getting my butt kicked the other day but we’re to the point in the season where there are teams that are going to be packing it in and others that turn the heat up,” Diggs said. “I want to be on the team that turns the heat up, and want to be one of the players that turns the heat up.

“I think everybody kind of stuck that on their backs going out there and we’ve got to use that to our advantage. Hopefully that was a little wakeup call the other day and opens everybody’s eyes and we get back down to business like we’re capable of doing.”

NOTABLE: Green Bay head coach Mike McCarthy was the quarterbacks coach for the New Orleans Saints when Jake Delhomme was still struggling to find his way in the league back in the late ‘90s.

Both have moved on to better things, but McCarthy remains fond of Delhomme both personally and professionally.

“I have a lot of admiration for what he has accomplished in his career,” McCarthy said. “Having the opportunity to work with Jake in his younger years, he’s a tremendous competitor, has great passion for everything that he¹s involved in whether its horses, his family and particularly playing the quarterback position for the Carolina Panthers.

“I have enjoyed his success from afar. I can’t say enough about his work ethic and everything he has done in the early years to create the foundation of what he has been able to succeed as he has moved on to Carolina.”

McCarthy said he enjoys the passing Delhomme brings to the game.

“Jake never lacked for passion,” McCarthy said. “He’s clearly someone you can point to as an example for a young quarterback, and I have. As someone that has set in the number three chair and the number two chair and still had the ability to say the things and motivate other players in the locker room. He was never shy to speak up when things needed to be said and I always thought that was a unique part of his personality and it’s definitely a big part of his leadership ability.”

INSIDE THE GAME: The Packers are coming off a road loss Monday night at New Orleans, which always makes for a rough week logistically as well as emotionally.

But McCarthy wouldn't go as far as to say it puts the Packers at a competitive disadvantage this week.

“Monday night football on the road is always a challenge; everybody has to go through it,” McCarthy said. “You get back late and you have to be smart with your football team. You have some injuries, some bumps and bruises that also affect your practice structure as you move through the week. We¹re no different than anybody else, we’re dealing with it.”

BEHIND THE SCENES: A long, long time ago, Panthers coach John Fox was a Packers fan.

Yeah, he admitted it, although he later tried to backpedal.

“I think just the history,” Fox said. “I go way back to 1966 when I was a Packers fan and some of the things that took place then. That was a long time ago, and I'm embarrassed to say I can remember that but I do. But it does have great tradition and great history.

Among his favorite players were Bart Starr and Jim Taylor.

“Offensive guys believe it or not,” joked Fox, whose background is on defense.

BY THE NUMBERS: 7 – Number of times the Packers have defeated the Panthers in the last 10 meetings.

OPPONENT UPDATE: The Packers gave up 51 points in Monday night’s loss to the Saints, but it was how they gave them that suprised everyone.

The Packers came into the game with the league’s third-ranked pass defense and the 28th-ranked run defense, but Drew Brees threw four touchdowns in the game.

“It’s like any pass defense,” McCarthy said. “It’s a combination of pressure on the quarterback, the discipline and the ability to win in the coverage unit. We obviously didn’t have any pressure on Drew Brees throughout the evening and

It definitely didn’t help us on the back end.

“They won a number of the one-on-one routes particularly the underneath routes. His ability to stay in rhythm, he made very good decisions, threw the ball accurately, made big time throws and it definitely got away from us.”

DID YOU KNOW: There are a lot of rumblings about Jake Delhomme having some arm problems after struggling in recent weeks, but he dispelled that notion on Wednesday.

“It feels great,” he said. “I can’t tell you how great it is.”

Panthers wide receiver Steve Smith also mentioned Thursday that Delhomme’s arm seems stronger than ever.

“It’s not a process for me to get warmed up for practice,” Delhomme said. “I think that’s biggest thing. That is what I look forward to. You still have to have soreness (from playing).”

INJURY UPDATE: Adam Seward (ankle) is the only player who was held out of practice Wednesday for the Panthers.

THEY SAID IT: “I feel like we have enough character on this team to make the best out of this situation. It’s not always bad to lose. Sometimes it helps you out. It could be a good loss. If we go out and run the table it will be a damn good loss. But, you know, our future is in our hands. We still hold the key. So go out and get it done.”

--Panthers DT Damione Lewis on losing to Atlanta
Back to top Go down
https://growlersden.aforumfree.com
Dkes
Admin
Dkes

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2008-10-18

Panthers feel like their backs are against the wall Empty
PostSubject: Re: Panthers feel like their backs are against the wall   Panthers feel like their backs are against the wall EmptyFri Nov 28, 2008 10:19 am

Good. Let's see if they can back it up.
Back to top Go down

Panthers feel like their backs are against the wall
Page 1 of 1