Growlers Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Growlers Den

Carolina Panthers Football

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» CALLING ALL PANTHER FANS
Williams, Stewart producing from a peaceful place EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:28 pm by JohnDeezy89

» IT's Alive!!!!
Williams, Stewart producing from a peaceful place EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:25 pm by JohnDeezy89

» SAINTS: Ten things to look for when New Orleans Saints minicamp begins next weekend
Williams, Stewart producing from a peaceful place EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:25 am by PanthersRowell

» Colt Freaks - site for Colts fans
Williams, Stewart producing from a peaceful place EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:19 am by PanthersRowell

» The Sports Zone
Williams, Stewart producing from a peaceful place EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:16 am by PanthersRowell

» My article: Defensive Tackles
Williams, Stewart producing from a peaceful place EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:14 am by PanthersRowell

» Hi Everybody!
Williams, Stewart producing from a peaceful place EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:07 am by PanthersRowell

» Panthers add Newton (sore shoulder) to injury report as probable
Williams, Stewart producing from a peaceful place EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:05 pm by RayRay

» As Panthers' Smith climbs, Titans' Johnson keeps falling
Williams, Stewart producing from a peaceful place EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:04 pm by RayRay

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
July 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

Williams, Stewart producing from a peaceful place

Go down 
AuthorMessage
G Killette
Admin
G Killette

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2008-10-18

Williams, Stewart producing from a peaceful place Empty
PostSubject: Williams, Stewart producing from a peaceful place   Williams, Stewart producing from a peaceful place EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 10:25 am

By Charles Chandler
cchandler@charlotteobserver.com
Posted: Sunday, Nov. 23, 2008
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/panthers/story/371430.html
The peaceful, fun-filled relationship DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart enjoy as running backs for the Carolina Panthers goes back to their high school days when they learned to share.

COMMENT: Only team in league with two backs with at least 40 percent of team carries each.

Charles Chandler

The Fantastic Four
DeAngelo Williams of the Carolina Panthers has 782 rushing yards entering today's game. Teammate Jonathan Stewart has 513. Only four teams have had two players rush for more than 1,000 yards in the same season. The first two pairs below did so in 14 games and the latter in 16-game seasons:

1972: MIAMI DOLPHINS - LARRY CSONKA, 1,117 yards and MERCURY MORRIS, 1,000 yards.

1976: PITTSBURGH STEELERS -- FRANCO HARRIS, 1,128 yards and ROCKY BLEIER, 1,036 yards.

1985: CLEVELAND BROWNS -- KEVIN MACK, 1,104 yards and EARNEST BYNER, 1,002 yards.

2006: ATLANTA FALCONS -- WARRICK DUNN, 1,140 yards and MICHAEL VICK, 1,039 yards.

'Smash & Dash'
They say they don't have a nickname yet, but concede that “Smash & Dash” seems to be most popular with Carolina fans.
The peaceful, fun-filled relationship DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart enjoy as running backs for the Carolina Panthers goes back to their high school days when they learned to share.

In Wynne, Ark., DeAngelo alternated with guys named Antonio and Demontate.

In Lacey, Wash., Jonathan split carries with Terrence.

“I've always been mixed in (as) a tandem,” said Stewart. “It makes sense to have two good running backs because you're always pounding the rock and it's good to have fresh legs in there just about every time you run the ball.”

As they sat together after practice, meetings and working out, they were asked how they avoid jealousy, backbiting and other potential pitfalls that could infect their relationship if either of them became too me-first.

“Well, I look at it like I've never been that type of dude in the first place since I started playing football,” said Stewart, a rookie.

“What type of dude is that?” said Williams, interrupting Stewart and assuming the role of conversation emcee.

“Humble,” said Stewart.

“You've never been the type of dude to be humble?” Williams asked.

Stewart told Williams to be stop trying to confuse him, and they laughed.

Their relationship, said fullback Brad Hoover, is a classic case of opposites attracting.

“DeAngelo is real outgoing and outspoken,” said Hoover. “Jonathan is real laid back and kind of reserved.

“It's (good) how close they are and how everything has worked out. It could've been a dicey situation for us with those two this year.”

Williams, a third-year pro, and Stewart are centerpieces of an 8-2 Panthers team that will play at 6-4 Atlanta today in a key NFC South game.

The matchup will pits the NFL's No.2 rushing attack (Atlanta) vs. the No.6 (Carolina).

The Falcons feature the league's third-leading rusher, Michael Turner (971 yards) and a talented reserve, Jerious Norwood (383).

The Panthers have more of a balanced attack, with Williams and Stewart serving as options 1a and 1b. Williams has more rushing yards (782-513) and carries (153-118) than Stewart, but they've split playing time more evenly than all but a handful of NFL running back combinations.

The Panthers are the only team in the league with two backs who each have at least 100 carries, 500 yards rushing and six touchdowns.

Last week against Detroit, Williams and Stewart became the first backfield pair in team history to rush for 100 yards each in the same game.

Getting acquainted

Both backs were college All-Americans – Williams at Memphis, Stewart at Oregon – who became first-round draft picks.

Williams arrived at Carolina in 2006 and shared time with DeShaun Foster for two seasons.

When Foster was released in February, the Panthers targeted a running back in the draft and took Stewart with the 13th selection, 14 spots higher than they'd selected Williams two years earlier.

“When they brought Stew in, I was excited because I was going to be the guy who was going to not necessarily mentor him, but kind of show him the ropes,” said Williams. “I relished (it). I was really looking forward to doing it.”

Stewart said he came to the Panthers “wondering what DeAngelo was going to be like.”

“He turned out to be real cool,” said Stewart.

The Williams-Stewart partnership advances a plan coach John Fox began implementing in 2003 when Stephen Davis and Foster shared the running responsibilities for the Panthers' lone Super Bowl team.

Davis was the clear lead runner that year (318 carries for 1,444) yards and Foster was the backup (113 rushes for 429 yards).

Fox said he prefers having two quality backs because the position “is so expensive on the body.”

“You need a (second) guy because they're going to get nicked,” said Fox. “You've got 11 guys (on defense) trying to take their heads off on every play.”

Quarterback Jake Delhomme said when Williams and Stewart are older, they'll be glad they had the other to limit their punishment during these early years of their careers.

Linebacker Jon Beason said the two-back philosophy gives the Panthers an . He likened Williams and Stewart to playing Minnesota this season when Vikings backs Adrian Peterson and Chester Taylor alternated on some long drives.

“You're sucking air and they come in fresh and run the ball,” said Beason. “It almost makes you mad when they put in a fresh back because it's like, ‘It's not fair. He's taking a rest.'”

Some of the NFL's most successful teams this season are using multiple running backs extensively. The 9-1 Giants have a three-man attack with Brandon Jacobs, Derrick Ward and Ahmad Bradshaw. The 10-0 Tennessee Titans have rookie Chris Johnson of East Carolina teaming with LenDale White.

Smash & Dash

The friendship Williams and Stewart share extends off the field and into the virtual world of Xbox Live.

They wouldn't divulge how much time they spend on the video game hobby but agreed it's plenty.

Stewart was about to name their favorite game, but Williams wouldn't let him.

“We don't want to hype a game they're not paying us to hype,” said Williams.

Stewart has become accustomed to receiving such sage advice from Williams, who jokes that Stewart still has lots to learn about being a pro.

Stewart, for instance, wasn't sure what to call the spring minicamp other than “practice” and referred to the team's talent scouts as “recruiters,” a term more commonly used in college.

“See, he doesn't know the name of things yet,” said Williams.

In a serious moment, Williams said Stewart helps him, too.

“What a lot of people don't understand is when I'm in or he's in the game, we're constantly talking on the sidelines when we're coming (in and) out,” said Williams. “He may see a hole I don't see, or vice versa. It helps us out having an extra set of eyes.”

Williams said Stewart tells him runs he shouldn't make because he'd get “banged” by the defense.

And Stewart said Williams yells from the sidelines to alert him the defense is converging.

“I'm sure he can pick my voice out of a crowd,” said Williams, “and I can pick his out of a crowd.”

They say they don't have a nickname yet, but concede “Smash & Dash” seems to be most popular with Carolina fans. If that sticks, Stewart will be “Smash” because he's has a more physical style. But Williams said Stewart has plenty of “Dash” in his step, too.

There's an outside chance they could become the fifth pair of teammates in NFL history to rush for 1,000 yards in the same season.

“Do that and not make the playoffs, no,” Williams said when asked if they'd like the milestone. “But if it comes with making the playoffs or making the Super Bowl, then yes.”

“Same answer,” said Stewart.
Back to top Go down
https://growlersden.aforumfree.com

Page 1 of 1