Growlers Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Growlers Den

Carolina Panthers Football

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» CALLING ALL PANTHER FANS
Hanson, Kasay travel similar paths EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:28 pm by JohnDeezy89

» IT's Alive!!!!
Hanson, Kasay travel similar paths EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:25 pm by JohnDeezy89

» SAINTS: Ten things to look for when New Orleans Saints minicamp begins next weekend
Hanson, Kasay travel similar paths EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:25 am by PanthersRowell

» Colt Freaks - site for Colts fans
Hanson, Kasay travel similar paths EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:19 am by PanthersRowell

» The Sports Zone
Hanson, Kasay travel similar paths EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:16 am by PanthersRowell

» My article: Defensive Tackles
Hanson, Kasay travel similar paths EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:14 am by PanthersRowell

» Hi Everybody!
Hanson, Kasay travel similar paths EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:07 am by PanthersRowell

» Panthers add Newton (sore shoulder) to injury report as probable
Hanson, Kasay travel similar paths EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:05 pm by RayRay

» As Panthers' Smith climbs, Titans' Johnson keeps falling
Hanson, Kasay travel similar paths EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:04 pm by RayRay

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
July 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

Hanson, Kasay travel similar paths

Go down 
AuthorMessage
G Killette
Admin
G Killette

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2008-10-18

Hanson, Kasay travel similar paths Empty
PostSubject: Hanson, Kasay travel similar paths   Hanson, Kasay travel similar paths EmptySat Nov 15, 2008 9:35 pm

Kickers for Lions, Panthers share commitment to faith, longevity, respect from peers
By Charles Chandler
cchandler@charlotteobserver.com
Posted: Saturday, Nov. 15, 2008
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/story/355055.html

What John Kasay is to the Carolina Panthers, Jason Hanson is to the Detroit Lions.

Both are kickers booting their way into the NFL record books.

Both wear jersey No.4 and will square off Sunday at Bank of America Stadium when the Panthers host the Lions.

Both are pushing age 40 and have been with their teams for well over a decade. Kasay is in his 14th season with the Panthers and his 18th year in the league after starting out with Seattle. Hanson is in his 17th season, all in Detroit. When he departed Washington State in 1992, the NFL kicking job he most coveted – with the home-state Seahawks – was already taken by Kasay.

Like Kasay, Hanson is deeply involved in community service.

Like Kasay, Hanson says the most important things in his life are his Christian faith and his family. Both have preached church sermons and use commentaries and concordances to deepen their Bible studies.

When you listen to Lions' senior director of community affairs Tim Pendell describe Hanson, it could just as well be Panthers' counterpart Riley Fields or Carolina chaplain Mike Bunkley talking about Kasay.

“In my 24 years with the Lions, there is no classier or finer young man than Jason Hanson,” said Pendell. “He's a very special individual. Much of what Jason does, he does behind the scenes. He is very caring and very giving, but he isn't one to blast out what he is doing or announce it.”

Kasay tries to keep a low profile too, declining an interview request for this story, telling Panthers' spokesman Charlie Dayton he just wants to focus on kicking the football.

Kasay and Hanson are on an almost parallel rise up the NFL's all-time scoring charts, though Hanson has an edge because Kasay missed about two seasons with injuries.

Hanson is the league's No.9 all-time scorer (1,704 points) and can move to No.8 with eight points Sunday. Kasay ranks 13th (1,575).

Hanson is sixth in field goals made (395), with Kasay 20 behind at No.8.

Hanson said in an telephone interview with the Observer this week that even though he has known Kasay for years, they haven't spent enough time together to develop a close friendship. However, he said he has a deep respect for Kasay.

Hanson acknowledged their similarities, including becoming integral parts of their teams and helping to lessen an old stereotype about kickers.

“Hopefully guys know they can come to me and to John for anything,” he said.

“I think the day of kicker as the outcast is over with. We're part of the team. We do our job. Guys, I think, can relate to us and trust us because we're veterans.”

Kasay's career has reached highs in Carolina that Hanson has only dreamed about. The Panthers are 7-2 and in position for a playoff run entering Sunday's game. The Lions are 0-9, with 16 losses in their past 17 games.

Kasay has kicked in a Super Bowl and three NFC title games. The Lions are 0-5 in playoff games during Hanson's career and have clinched their eighth consecutive losing record.

“It's been pretty dark in Detroit as far as football,” said Hanson. “When your job is in sports, your energy or motivation can be directly tied to winning and losing, so even for a kicker, losing continually can certainly start to drain you.

“How do I get past that? I know God has blessed me to play sports and my performance doesn't depend on how much I'm paid and did we win or lose or not. I've tried to truly be a professional.”

Hanson is in the final year of his contract. Kasay recently signed a four-year extension to remain with the Panthers through 2012.

“That's great,” Hanson said of Kasay's deal. “The way I look at it, with all the things I know John means to Carolina, the bottom line is he's still a great field goal kicker. That's why he's sticking around for some more years.”

Hanson hopes the Lions make the same assessment of him.
Back to top Go down
https://growlersden.aforumfree.com

Page 1 of 1