Growlers Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Growlers Den

Carolina Panthers Football

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» CALLING ALL PANTHER FANS
Lunch with Killer: Lions have answer at RB with Smith EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:28 pm by JohnDeezy89

» IT's Alive!!!!
Lunch with Killer: Lions have answer at RB with Smith EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:25 pm by JohnDeezy89

» SAINTS: Ten things to look for when New Orleans Saints minicamp begins next weekend
Lunch with Killer: Lions have answer at RB with Smith EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:25 am by PanthersRowell

» Colt Freaks - site for Colts fans
Lunch with Killer: Lions have answer at RB with Smith EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:19 am by PanthersRowell

» The Sports Zone
Lunch with Killer: Lions have answer at RB with Smith EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:16 am by PanthersRowell

» My article: Defensive Tackles
Lunch with Killer: Lions have answer at RB with Smith EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:14 am by PanthersRowell

» Hi Everybody!
Lunch with Killer: Lions have answer at RB with Smith EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:07 am by PanthersRowell

» Panthers add Newton (sore shoulder) to injury report as probable
Lunch with Killer: Lions have answer at RB with Smith EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:05 pm by RayRay

» As Panthers' Smith climbs, Titans' Johnson keeps falling
Lunch with Killer: Lions have answer at RB with Smith EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:04 pm by RayRay

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
July 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

Lunch with Killer: Lions have answer at RB with Smith

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
G Killette
Admin
G Killette

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2008-10-18

Lunch with Killer: Lions have answer at RB with Smith Empty
PostSubject: Lunch with Killer: Lions have answer at RB with Smith   Lunch with Killer: Lions have answer at RB with Smith EmptyFri Nov 14, 2008 6:03 pm

by MLive.com staff
Friday November 14, 2008, 1:28 PM
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2008/11/lunch_with_killer_lions_at_pan.html

There are a lot of question marks on the Detroit Lions right now, but running back shouldn't be one of them, says MLive Lions Insider Tom "Killer" Kowalski during his weekly Lunch with Killer Q&A.

Rookie Kevin Smith seems to have made his mark and should be the starter from now on.

"I liked Smith early," Killer says, "then had my doubts, But now I'm pretty close to sold on the guy. He's not a pounding-type runner, but he's good at getting those extra yards. A guy who can turn a two yard carry into a four- or five-yard carry is a huge asset."

Lunch with Killer: Lions at Panthers Q&A (11/14/2008)
Powered by:
CoveritLive

Close

11:59 Philip Zaroo: Thanks for joining us for Lunch with Killer. MLive Lions Insider Tom "Killer" Kowalski will be on in just a minute to answer your questions about your Detroit Lions.

12:04 [Comment From Dexter Bussey]
Since the lions need 2 linebackers, a DE, a DT, wouldn't that mean that after the season is the perfect time to switch to a 3-4 defense if the new coach wants to?

12:05 TomKowalski: that's a good point ... there really isn't enough talent here to justify staying with a 4-3 -- if the new head coach wants to run a 3-4 ... assuming, of course, there is a new head coach ...

12:05 [Comment From Mark]
How about a DE with the number 1 pick and an OL with the Cowboys?

12:06 TomKowalski:
the only problem is that they're going to be looking for guards, not tackles, and i'm not sure they want to invest a no. 1 in a guard .... i think linebacker is a much higher priority ... and cornerback ...

12:06 [Comment From chad]
In your opinion would Rey Mauluaga be worthy of the # 1 pick.

12:07 TomKowalski: i just can't tell you right now .... but here's the thing -- what if he's ranked as the fourth-best player and the lions are picking no. 1 ... and the other three players don't meet any of the lions' real needs? ... do you take him then? ... i think you have to consider it ...

12:07 [Comment From popeww]
% this team posts a winning record next season?

12:08 TomKowalski: woo-hoo ... i love the percentage game ... i'd say 50-50 ... how's that for commitment? ... actually, i'd have to say, considering the lack of talent and the unknown factor concerning the front office and coaching staff, 40 percent would be stretching it ...

12:09 [Comment From Guest]
Tom- How is Paris Lenon going to stop DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart? by falling down? or does actually have a chance?

12:09 TomKowalski:
the bigger issue is probably on the line where the lions are going to be playing a lot of young guys ...

12:09 [Comment From Matt Millen]
Do you tink Lion fans miss me?

12:09 TomKowalski: how can we miss you if you won't leave?

12:10 [Comment From Perfect Season]
Could you ever see Marinelli taking a demotion and staying in detroit if they get a Tampa 2 coach? He still has the players hearts.

12:10 TomKowalski:
i don't see it ...

12:10 [Comment From Scott]
Does the cover-two favor a 3-4 style or 4-3? Does it matter?

12:11 TomKowalski: it doesn't really matter ... everybody plays some form of cover two ...

12:11 [Comment From kurt]
most of the 2009 mock drafts out right now have the lions taking a QB as their 1st pick next year. I think that would be a huge mistake. Whats your take?

12:12 TomKowalski: i think most of those mock drafts were done before the lions signed culpepper to a two-year deal ... i don't think culpepper's contract means the lions absolutely won't take a quarterback in the first round ... i think it does mean that, if they do, they won't feel the need to rush him into action ...

12:12 [Comment From whatever]
whatever............ seriously, though.... are we getting closer to a kowalski vs. marinelli throw down or what?

12:12 TomKowalski: nah ... just two guys who love doing their job ...

12:13 [Comment From joel]
any chance we take tebow with the #1 pick?

12:13 TomKowalski: i would say no chance whatsoever ...

12:13 [Comment From whylionswhy]
why do you always answer popeww's questions? All he does is bad-mouth you on every blog.

12:13 TomKowalski: i like to preach to the sinners ...

12:13 [Comment From Guest]
Based on your article about OL playing loud music in locker room following loss to Jags - seems one remaining strong point for Marinelli is discipline and respect for the game - do you know if Marinelli ever comes down on the players for this sort of thing?

12:14 TomKowalski: this isn't something the coach deals with ... to me, it's a player's thing ... and i don' t want to make too big of a deal about it ... i just thought it was inappropriate ... i've had a lot of people telling me that i'm out of touch ... but i still think it was inappropriate ...

12:15 [Comment From NickO]
Killer, who the heck selects the questions for you? You keep answering the same things week to week...

12:16 TomKowalski: here was your big chance ...

12:16 [Comment From Alex]
Please tell me the lions won't pay Bodden the big bonus. He constantly gets beat and just has not impressed me with his play.

12:17 TomKowalski: i'm not going to disagree with you, but i think it's a tough call right now ... you've already got to replace one corner and that's going to be hard enough ... yeah, it's going to be expensive, but can you afford NOT to keep him?

12:17 [Comment From Ross]
Tom, any chance we turn this into a Lions Draft Q & A, instead of a Lions at Panthers Q & A

12:17 TomKowalski: too late ...

12:17 [Comment From CLF]
Was Middleton just that bad or did Cason finally get healthy and Middleton's time just ran out?

12:18 TomKowalski: if you saw the game on sunday, there was one kickoff return that was perfectly blocked and if the returner had just had an extra gear, he could've split the final two blocks and been gone for an easy touchdown ... middleton doesn't have that burst, but the lions think cason does ...

12:19 [Comment From Scott]
They say they dont, but how close do you think players read local beat writers. Its nice to know at least an unnamed source got real pissed from your M-live article.

12:20 TomKowalski: like i said, i don' t think the players read that much of the local stuff ... i think family and friends read it and then either send it along or -- in the worst-case scenario -- tell the players how THEY read it ...

12:20 [Comment From Chad]
I've heard reports saying that Mayhew is the kind of guy that has to have it his way and won't listen to others,and also that Millen was that way...What are your thoughts?

12:20 TomKowalski: i think a good GM has to listen to everybody but then has to make a decision and not be wishy-washy about it ... i think they have to have a plan and stick to it ...

12:21 [Comment From Joe]
Why was Keith Smith in the doghouse for half the year? Because he can actually cover someone?

12:21 TomKowalski: great question ... i wish i had an answer (smith is wondering about that, too) ...

12:21 [Comment From Curt]
what's the % chance that the young DL plays better than the older injured DL?

12:21 TomKowalski: 35 percent ...

12:22 [Comment From I will GM for free]
Are the coaches sold on Kevin Smith, because I sure am. Do you think he can become a lock if the Lions "attempt" to fix the Oline?

12:23 TomKowalski: i liked smith early then had my doubts, but now i'm pretty close to sold on the guy ... he's not a pounding-type runner but he's good at getting those extra yards ... a guy who can turn a two yard carry into a four- or five-yard carry is a huge asset ...

12:23 [Comment From LionSunBlock]
Hey Tom, did you know 82% of all statistics are made up on the spot? :)

12:23 TomKowalski: i heard it was 87 percent ...

12:24 [Comment From Tim]
What is the % that there will be more % questions?

12:24 TomKowalski: 100 percent ...

12:24 [Comment From Chad]
Who ended up with the football, Stanton or Owens?

12:25 TomKowalski: we don't know yet ... owens said he's going to pull the veteran card and demand the ball (stanton's touchdown pass to owens was the first career td for both players so they both want the ball) ... my guess is that the equipment guys are going to prepare two balls and not tell either player which one is the actual game ball ...

12:25 [Comment From Mark]
What are the chances that Stanton will be starting next year at this time?

12:25 TomKowalski: a lot better than the chances of him starting this year at this point ...

12:26 [Comment From Kevin]
Odds that Stanton will beat out Daunte for the stating QB spot next season?

12:26 TomKowalski: I'd say 20 to 25 percent ... stanton has leadership qualities so that's not an issue ... coaches -- not just marinelli -- love veterans, though ...

12:26 [Comment From Duane]
Do you agree with Drew Sharp about lifting the blackouts for a year, or do you think this is a necessary growing pain for a rebuilding franchise?

12:28 TomKowalski:
it's my understanding that the league would have to consult congress about lifting the blackouts because it was part of the original anti-trust agreement (the katrina thing was a separate issue) ... to do that, the nfl would have to approach congress and with congress currently irritated at the nfl for putting games on the nfl network, the last thing the league wants to do is rattle the cage in congress ...

12:28 [Comment From Steve]
How much does Culpepper REALLY weigh?

12:29 TomKowalski: my guess is 280 ... the guy's not fat, just thick ...

12:29 [Comment From chris]
what are the chances of drew henson being back with the team and beating out stanton for the second qb spot next year?

12:30 TomKowalski:
95 percent on the first question and about 37.5 percent on the second question ...

12:30 [Comment From whylionswhy]
when is felton coming back?

12:30 TomKowalski: felton has lost his job to moran norris ... even when felton returns healthy, he'll be a backup (which should be in a week or two) ...

12:31 [Comment From Jeff]
Espn has just reported Drew Henson has already resigned to the practice squad

12:31 TomKowalski: that doesn't necessarily mean he'll be back next season ... i think he will be ...

12:31 [Comment From Double H]
Seriously Killer...think we can cover 15 this week?

12:32 TomKowalski: is it up to 15? ... even if it's 18, the answer is no ...

12:32 [Comment From Alex]
When is Raiola coming back? McColum is terrible

12:32 TomKowalski: raiola might be back next week ...

12:32 [Comment From Iowa Lion]
Will Peppers go up against the veteran Backus or the rookie Cherillus more?

12:33 TomKowalski:
based on what they've done in the past, they're going to move him to both sides .... he'll get more one-on-one matchups with backus while the lions will slide protection to cherilus if peppers is on that side ...

12:33 [Comment From Sank]
what are the chances Lions bring in Cassel? Please god please do not get this guy. Think Scott Mitchell.

12:34 TomKowalski: they've already got culpepper ... my guess is that if they get a quarterback, it'll be in the draft -- not free agency ...

12:34 TomKowalski: i need a percentage question ... i said i'd answer at least one more ...

12:35 [Comment From theAlmightyZaroo]
% that you actually answer one of my questions?

12:35 TomKowalski: 100 percent ...

12:35 [Comment From SoonerPride]
what are the chances rod is back next year?

12:35 TomKowalski:
i'm still sticking with five percent at this point ... if they go 0-16, it drops to 0.5 percent ...

12:36 [Comment From Joe Cullen]
Any update on Dizon for us, Tom?

12:36 TomKowalski: still working at both the middle and strong side ...

12:37 [Comment From Mark]
Is stanton's main problem not being able to read blitzes?

12:37 TomKowalski: no ... i think it's just a comfort level of knowing when he can hang on to the ball and try to keep the play alive and when he needs to get rid of it ... the mistakes he made are common rookie errors ...

12:38 [Comment From Miley Cyrus]
What are the chances we have a new gm next year?

12:38 TomKowalski: i've got to go with the lame 50-50 thing ...

12:38 [Comment From Vince]
chances that Cherilus turns into a good player?

12:38 TomKowalski: 80 percent ...

12:39 [Comment From popeww]
% this is the last question you answer today?

12:39 TomKowalski: woo-hoo ... another 100 percenter ...

12:39 TomKowalski: guess what time it is?

12:39 [Comment From Rod]
Time for you guys to get out your shovels, picks, and jackhammers and start digging to China!

12:39 [Comment From Duane]
blackout time

12:40 [Comment From Tim D]
Time to make the donuts? Oh sorry Mr. Kowalski - I meant paczkis?

12:40 [Comment From popeww]
% time

12:40 [Comment From hi its mi]
time to whatever

12:40 [Comment From Travis Fisher]
Time to trade Bodden back to Cleveland for another 3rd rounder...

12:40 [Comment From Vince]
its time to stop Julius Peppers

12:40 [Comment From Beer Thirty]
Time for a cold one.....

12:40 [Comment From MarsLionsFan]
Time for Dizon to play Strong Side LB?

12:40 [Comment From NORTH DAKOTA]
it is time to chaeck the pad level of the pickaxe and to put the shovel on tape

12:40 [Comment From Mother Nature]
Time to warm up your snow blower

12:40 [Comment From Ray Guy]
Time to start singing that James Taylor Carolina song?

12:40 [Comment From Sank]
time to sign albert haynesworth

12:40 [Comment From Vince]
time to go for a 7-9 record

12:40 [Comment From hi its mi]
liquid lunch?

12:40 [Comment From Alex]
Time for Colleto to emberass Stanton

12:41 [Comment From LionSunBlock]
Time to spipke the Koolaid.

12:41 [Comment From Ted Nugent]
TIME TO HUNT!

12:41 [Comment From Jesse]
time to move killer back to the living section

12:41 [Comment From Dexter Bussey]
Time to watch hockey

12:41 [Comment From Luke]
time to win a game? nevermind

12:41 [Comment From Andrew]
Time for the lions to drop down to the highschool state playoffs

12:41 [Comment From Coach Joe]
Time for some drive thru.

12:42 [Comment From FELLBEAST]
Time for the Cowboys to lose more games...

12:42 [Comment From Mike Martz]
Time for a Michael Robinson dive play

12:42 [Comment From Steve]
Sexy time?

12:44 Philip Zaroo: Thanks for coming through, everyone. Be sure to come through for the live game blog on Sunday ... when I'll even be able to watch the game as I blog! See you all next week for Lunch with Killer!
Back to top Go down
https://growlersden.aforumfree.com
G Killette
Admin
G Killette

PostSubject: Re: Lunch with Killer: Lions have answer at RB with Smith   Lunch with Killer: Lions have answer at RB with Smith EmptyFri Nov 14, 2008 6:05 pm

An answer at RB with Kevin Smith. lol!
Back to top Go down
jschnars

Number of posts : 119

PostSubject: Re: Lunch with Killer: Lions have answer at RB with Smith   Lunch with Killer: Lions have answer at RB with Smith EmptyFri Nov 14, 2008 6:53 pm

Wow that guy is real.
Back to top Go down
G Killette
Admin
G Killette

PostSubject: Re: Lunch with Killer: Lions have answer at RB with Smith   Lunch with Killer: Lions have answer at RB with Smith EmptyFri Nov 14, 2008 8:15 pm

The stunning thing to me is the fans are more concerned about the Draft than the upcoming games. I would have thought with the Millen Firing they would have a better outlook.
Back to top Go down
jschnars

Number of posts : 119

PostSubject: Re: Lunch with Killer: Lions have answer at RB with Smith   Lunch with Killer: Lions have answer at RB with Smith EmptyFri Nov 14, 2008 8:54 pm

I don't see why they would care about the upcoming game. The upcoming draft would be more exciting considering they are most likely going to get the number 1 pick.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lunch with Killer: Lions have answer at RB with Smith   Lunch with Killer: Lions have answer at RB with Smith Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1