Growlers Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Growlers Den

Carolina Panthers Football

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» CALLING ALL PANTHER FANS
Fred Taylor's days as a Jaguar are over EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:28 pm by JohnDeezy89

» IT's Alive!!!!
Fred Taylor's days as a Jaguar are over EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:25 pm by JohnDeezy89

» SAINTS: Ten things to look for when New Orleans Saints minicamp begins next weekend
Fred Taylor's days as a Jaguar are over EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:25 am by PanthersRowell

» Colt Freaks - site for Colts fans
Fred Taylor's days as a Jaguar are over EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:19 am by PanthersRowell

» The Sports Zone
Fred Taylor's days as a Jaguar are over EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:16 am by PanthersRowell

» My article: Defensive Tackles
Fred Taylor's days as a Jaguar are over EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:14 am by PanthersRowell

» Hi Everybody!
Fred Taylor's days as a Jaguar are over EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:07 am by PanthersRowell

» Panthers add Newton (sore shoulder) to injury report as probable
Fred Taylor's days as a Jaguar are over EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:05 pm by RayRay

» As Panthers' Smith climbs, Titans' Johnson keeps falling
Fred Taylor's days as a Jaguar are over EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:04 pm by RayRay

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
August 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

Fred Taylor's days as a Jaguar are over

Go down 
AuthorMessage
G Killette
Admin
G Killette

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2008-10-18

Fred Taylor's days as a Jaguar are over Empty
PostSubject: Fred Taylor's days as a Jaguar are over   Fred Taylor's days as a Jaguar are over EmptyTue Feb 17, 2009 12:30 pm

February 17
Jacksonville Times-Union

"The club released the 11-year veteran Monday, indicating its desire to infuse more youth at running back.

"I love Jacksonville, that's where my heart is. That's where I want to be," Taylor said. "But this wasn't my call."

Taylor met with Jaguars owner Wayne Weaver on Monday along with coach Jack Del Rio, general manager Gene Smith and senior vice president Paul Vance. During the meeting, Taylor, who before his release was owed a $1 million roster bonus next month, was asked if he wanted to retire.

The running back declined.

"They were trying to do something for [my retirement], and I said, 'No, I'm not ready for that,'" Taylor said.

So Taylor and his agent Drew Rosenhaus countered with a plan for a restructured deal calling for the running back to take less money for an opportunity to stay in Jacksonville. But the organization wanted to move forward with rising fourth-year man Maurice Jones-Drew, who led the team last season with 824 yards and 12 touchdowns.

Taylor, 33, was scheduled to make $6 million next season in base salary.

"We offered to take a pay cut, but their decision was made," Taylor said. "They wanted to go young was their reply."

Ranked No. 16 on the NFL's all-time rushing list, Taylor has rushed for 11,271 yards and 62 touchdowns (81 yards behind John Riggins), finishing last season with 556 yards in 13 games. The heads into next season with Jones-Drew, and backups Alvin Pearman and second-year man Chauncey Washington at running back.

"I knew over the weekend we would meet. That's part of the business," Taylor said. "I'm sure it's a complete shock and surprise to some right now. But I'm just thankful they gave me an opportunity instead of dragging their feet to try to trade me or something like that. Now I have the opportunity to go into free agency for the first time in my career, ever. I'm excited about it.""
Link
Back to top Go down
https://growlersden.aforumfree.com

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Growlers Den :: The NFL :: NFL News-
Jump to: