Growlers Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Growlers Den

Carolina Panthers Football

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» CALLING ALL PANTHER FANS
Beason loves getting signals through headset EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:28 pm by JohnDeezy89

» IT's Alive!!!!
Beason loves getting signals through headset EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:25 pm by JohnDeezy89

» SAINTS: Ten things to look for when New Orleans Saints minicamp begins next weekend
Beason loves getting signals through headset EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:25 am by PanthersRowell

» Colt Freaks - site for Colts fans
Beason loves getting signals through headset EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:19 am by PanthersRowell

» The Sports Zone
Beason loves getting signals through headset EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:16 am by PanthersRowell

» My article: Defensive Tackles
Beason loves getting signals through headset EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:14 am by PanthersRowell

» Hi Everybody!
Beason loves getting signals through headset EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:07 am by PanthersRowell

» Panthers add Newton (sore shoulder) to injury report as probable
Beason loves getting signals through headset EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:05 pm by RayRay

» As Panthers' Smith climbs, Titans' Johnson keeps falling
Beason loves getting signals through headset EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:04 pm by RayRay

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
September 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

Beason loves getting signals through headset

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
G Killette
Admin
G Killette

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2008-10-18

Beason loves getting signals through headset Empty
PostSubject: Beason loves getting signals through headset   Beason loves getting signals through headset EmptyFri Nov 14, 2008 12:32 am

Panthers linebacker says this is much easier than hand-signal days.
By David Scott
dscott@charlotteobserver.com
Posted: Thursday, Nov. 13, 2008
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/panthers/story/337404.html

Beason loves getting signals through headset 198-Panthers_Chiefs_40.embedded.prod_affiliate.138
10/05/08 Carolina Panthers (52) linebacker Jon Beason celebrates his interception of a pass meant for Kansas City Chiefs wide receiver (82) Dwayne Bowe during third quarter action Sunday at Bank of America Stadium. The Panthers defeated the Chiefs 34-0. JEFF SINER - jsiner@charlotteobserver.com

The NFL's latest technological innovation is going smoothly for the Carolina Panthers.

Now it's not just quarterbacks who have radio headsets in their helmets. For the first time, each team is allowed a designated defensive player to wear one. That player – middle linebacker Jon Beason, in the Panthers' case – receives plays from a coach on the sidelines – defensive coordinator Mike Trgovac, in the Panthers' case.

The new rule was adopted in April, when league owners voted it in by a vote of 25-7.

“It makes things a lot easier,” said Beason, whose helmet was outfitted with a small speaker behind his right ear.

After a period of adjustment – Beason said he had the headset installed in training camp and used it in exhibitions – the device is helping the Panthers' eighth-ranked defense run more efficiently.

“There are no signal calls I have to actually look out for,” said Beason. “A lot of times I end up on the other team's sideline, making a tackle near their bench. I can get the call (for the next play) over there and get it to everybody quicker.”

The defensive headset is a direct result of the league's “Spygate” scandal of 2007, when New England was caught illegally videotaping New York Jets' defensive hand signals. This makes it virtually impossible to steal signals.

Communications between Trgovac and Beason are open for 25 seconds before the transmitter is turned off with 15 seconds left on the play clock. That time frame is the same for the offense.

“It's really good for the two-minute situation,” said Beason, who leads a defense that's ranked second in the NFL in points per game (14.8 ). “They're usually snapping the ball before that 15 seconds is up.”

Each team designates two defensive players for a headset, but they can't be on the field at the same time.

Backup linebacker Adam Seward has the Panthers' other headset.

The headset doesn't always serve its purpose.

When the Panthers are home, the Bank of America Stadium crowd can get pretty loud when the opposition has the ball.

“A couple of times at home, it was so loud I couldn't hear the call,” said Beason. “So we've had to go with a ‘fail-safe' defense, just a safe defense to call.”

And sometimes Trgovac's call will come when the defense is already lined up, so late that Beason has to frantically alert his teammates before the ball is snapped.

The radio communication is one-way: Trgovac to Beason.

“Sometimes I wish I had a little microphone attached to my face mask so I can talk back,” said Beason. “I'd like to mess with ‘Turgo' a little.”
Back to top Go down
https://growlersden.aforumfree.com
JayJ1

JayJ1

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Beason loves getting signals through headset Empty
PostSubject: Re: Beason loves getting signals through headset   Beason loves getting signals through headset EmptyFri Nov 14, 2008 10:52 am

Hey BEASON don't start messing around on the field. I am all for players enjoying their game and having a little fun but mainly when we are up by three TDS! LOL! Seriously the kid is doing great!
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1