Growlers Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Growlers Den

Carolina Panthers Football

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» CALLING ALL PANTHER FANS
New Jaguars general manager controls roster, too EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:28 pm by JohnDeezy89

» IT's Alive!!!!
New Jaguars general manager controls roster, too EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:25 pm by JohnDeezy89

» SAINTS: Ten things to look for when New Orleans Saints minicamp begins next weekend
New Jaguars general manager controls roster, too EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:25 am by PanthersRowell

» Colt Freaks - site for Colts fans
New Jaguars general manager controls roster, too EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:19 am by PanthersRowell

» The Sports Zone
New Jaguars general manager controls roster, too EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:16 am by PanthersRowell

» My article: Defensive Tackles
New Jaguars general manager controls roster, too EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:14 am by PanthersRowell

» Hi Everybody!
New Jaguars general manager controls roster, too EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:07 am by PanthersRowell

» Panthers add Newton (sore shoulder) to injury report as probable
New Jaguars general manager controls roster, too EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:05 pm by RayRay

» As Panthers' Smith climbs, Titans' Johnson keeps falling
New Jaguars general manager controls roster, too EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:04 pm by RayRay

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
July 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

New Jaguars general manager controls roster, too

Go down 
AuthorMessage
G Killette
Admin
G Killette

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2008-10-18

New Jaguars general manager controls roster, too Empty
PostSubject: New Jaguars general manager controls roster, too   New Jaguars general manager controls roster, too EmptyThu Jan 29, 2009 11:33 pm

January 29
Jacksonville Times-Union
"Gene Smith doesn't want to admit it, but he has quietly become one of the most powerful executives in the NFL.

As Smith outlined the scope of his duties in his first news conference Wednesday since being named Jaguars general manager on Jan. 12, he made it obvious he's in charge of making all football personnel decisions.

Smith not only will make the call on bringing in players, but he has the authority to cut players on the 53-man roster, which is often the prerogative of the head coach.

"Any decision that pertains to the roster, that's ultimately mine," Smith said.

He also is in charge of deciding what each player is paid.

"Ultimately, it's [owner] Wayne Weaver, but certainly, yes, the decisions on the roster end of it are mine. One of my jobs is certainly to put the proper market value on a player," Smith said.

In effect, that makes Smith as powerful as Bill Parcells is in Miami when it comes to running the football operation.

"I wouldn't use the word powerful, but I would use the word meaningful. I think in my defined role, I should know the players the best," Smith said.

He said he'll listen to coach Jack Del Rio's views when deciding to cut the roster.

"Jack and I have a very good relationship. It's rare where he and I have ever been way off base on things," Smith said.

Smith also said he plans to emphasize character and building through the draft, rather than plunging into free agency. And he'll take the best available player.

Asked if he would draft a Ben Roethlisberger-type quarterback if he were available in the first round, even though the Jaguars gave David Garrard a $60 million contract extension last year, Smith indicated he would.

"I just think there's too much trade value in that player," Smith said.

The Jaguars passed on Roethlisberger in 2004 after drafting Byron Leftwich the previous year. They took wide receiver Reggie Williams, who has been a disappointment and is likely to leave in free agency this spring."
Link
Back to top Go down
https://growlersden.aforumfree.com

Page 1 of 1