Growlers Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Growlers Den

Carolina Panthers Football

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» CALLING ALL PANTHER FANS
Smith: Tough loss doesn't erase season EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:28 pm by JohnDeezy89

» IT's Alive!!!!
Smith: Tough loss doesn't erase season EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:25 pm by JohnDeezy89

» SAINTS: Ten things to look for when New Orleans Saints minicamp begins next weekend
Smith: Tough loss doesn't erase season EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:25 am by PanthersRowell

» Colt Freaks - site for Colts fans
Smith: Tough loss doesn't erase season EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:19 am by PanthersRowell

» The Sports Zone
Smith: Tough loss doesn't erase season EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:16 am by PanthersRowell

» My article: Defensive Tackles
Smith: Tough loss doesn't erase season EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:14 am by PanthersRowell

» Hi Everybody!
Smith: Tough loss doesn't erase season EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:07 am by PanthersRowell

» Panthers add Newton (sore shoulder) to injury report as probable
Smith: Tough loss doesn't erase season EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:05 pm by RayRay

» As Panthers' Smith climbs, Titans' Johnson keeps falling
Smith: Tough loss doesn't erase season EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:04 pm by RayRay

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
July 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

Smith: Tough loss doesn't erase season

Go down 
AuthorMessage
G Killette
Admin
G Killette

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2008-10-18

Smith: Tough loss doesn't erase season Empty
PostSubject: Smith: Tough loss doesn't erase season   Smith: Tough loss doesn't erase season EmptyTue Jan 13, 2009 9:50 am

January 12
Charlotte Observer
"Jake Delhomme didn't walk out of Bank of America Stadium alone Sunday.

Steve Smith walked with him.

Smith, Carolina's Pro Bowl wide receiver, defended both his quarterback and the team's season amid widespread criticism of the Panthers' stunning 33-13 loss to Arizona in Saturday night's home playoff game.

"I feel about Jake the same way I felt about Jake after the 2003 season," Smith said, recalling the year Delhomme led the Panthers to the Super Bowl. "My opinion and my respect in my friend have not changed."

As for the Panthers, Smith said the loss doesn't deter from what they accomplished during the regular season - a 12-4 record, NFC South championship and a first-round playoff bye.

"I personally think people are going to write this off and are going to say, `Ah, it was a waste,'" Smith said. "It's not the case.

"The loss didn't take away from who we were and what we did. People can write and say it did. Fans can have their opinion. But I would not trade in or forfeit any of the experiences we had in that locker room, and the joy we had on the field together, for one more week.

"There's only going to be one team in the end who's going to be happy, and we weren't that team."

Other players and coach John Fox voiced strong support for Delhomme the morning after he threw a career-high five interceptions and fumbled once during arguably the worst performance of his NFL career.

"It doesn't shake my confidence in him," said fullback Brad Hoover.

Said Fox of Delhomme: "He had a bad game. He didn't have a bad season. He's not a bad quarterback. It happens."

Delhomme said he was startled by his performance.

"With the work I put in, I never anticipated in a million years that I'd go out and play like I did last night," he said. "You ask yourself, `Was it worth all the film last week, all the studying?'

"You have those days, but you hope they're very few and far between."

Delhomme said he received an encouraging text message from a Hall of Fame quarterback, whom he didn't identify.

"He's been through it," said Delhomme. "He said it's all part of it. The sun comes up and you have to move on.""
Link
Back to top Go down
https://growlersden.aforumfree.com

Page 1 of 1