Growlers Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Growlers Den

Carolina Panthers Football

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» CALLING ALL PANTHER FANS
Edge gives Cards an edge EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:28 pm by JohnDeezy89

» IT's Alive!!!!
Edge gives Cards an edge EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:25 pm by JohnDeezy89

» SAINTS: Ten things to look for when New Orleans Saints minicamp begins next weekend
Edge gives Cards an edge EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:25 am by PanthersRowell

» Colt Freaks - site for Colts fans
Edge gives Cards an edge EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:19 am by PanthersRowell

» The Sports Zone
Edge gives Cards an edge EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:16 am by PanthersRowell

» My article: Defensive Tackles
Edge gives Cards an edge EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:14 am by PanthersRowell

» Hi Everybody!
Edge gives Cards an edge EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:07 am by PanthersRowell

» Panthers add Newton (sore shoulder) to injury report as probable
Edge gives Cards an edge EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:05 pm by RayRay

» As Panthers' Smith climbs, Titans' Johnson keeps falling
Edge gives Cards an edge EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:04 pm by RayRay

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
October 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

Edge gives Cards an edge

Go down 
AuthorMessage
G Killette
Admin
G Killette

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2008-10-18

Edge gives Cards an edge Empty
PostSubject: Edge gives Cards an edge   Edge gives Cards an edge EmptyMon Jan 05, 2009 10:41 am

Edge gives Cards an edge

January 4 Arizona Republic columnist Paola Boivin

"Will the Cardinals lose their edge when they lose their Edge?

Will they re-evaluate their fractured relationship with the running back because of his performance in Saturday's playoff victory over Atlanta?

At the very least, Edgerrin James should give management moment of pause. The offense challenged the Falcons with uncharacteristic balance and the outcome was surreal: Quarterback Kurt Warner . . . taking a knee . . . on a field that says "NFL Playoffs" . . . amid a screaming crowd . . . awash in Cardinals red.

Are you kidding me?

As the final seconds ticked off, several defensive players sidled up to James and gave him a piece of their mind.

What were they saying?

"Uh," James said smiling, looking down at his feet. "They were telling me they're not ready for me to go yet."

He's not going, at least for another week. His 73 yards helped set up some of the team's biggest offensive moments.

He carried three straight times before quarterback Kurt Warner connected with Larry Fitzgerald on a 42-yard first quarter scoring play - on a flea-flicker play that started with a handoff to James.

During a drive that lasted seven minutes and 43 seconds in the third quarter - that's right, 7:43 - James carried four times for 19 yards before Tim Hightower took over and capped the drive with a 4-yard touchdown run.

"In the playoffs, you got to be able to run the football. I really believe that," Falcons coach Mike Smith said. "Edgerrin James is one of the top runners in the league."

It wasn't just James who wanted to see the team keep it on the ground Saturday. At halftime, the offensive linemen were quite animated as they made their case to offensive coordinator Todd Haley to run block a little more in the second half.

They must have made a convincing argument. In the third quarter, the Cardinals had 12 pass attempts versus eight carries. In the fourth, it was nine and nine.

"They finally got the opportunity to run block," James said. "That's why I've never criticized them. Other teams run 30, 35 times. We might run one or two times and then go a long time without running again.

"That's what the playoffs are all about, doing things people think you're not gonna do."

The Cardinals did some things James didn't expect them to do this season. James lost his job to Hightower after seven games and posted just 11 carries during the next eight. His request to be released or traded was refused and then against Seattle last week, he rushed for 100 yards.

In the locker room afterward, he was asked whether the game made him feel differently about his perceived imminent departure. He hemmed and hawed, troubled by the question and worried about the timing.

"I want to enjoy this moment, not be the one to bring a dark cloud to all this," he said. "We'll just see what the situation dictates.""Link
Back to top Go down
https://growlersden.aforumfree.com

Edge gives Cards an edge
Page 1 of 1