Growlers Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Growlers Den

Carolina Panthers Football

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» CALLING ALL PANTHER FANS
Rookie DT Hayden went from practice squad to starter in two weeks EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:28 pm by JohnDeezy89

» IT's Alive!!!!
Rookie DT Hayden went from practice squad to starter in two weeks EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:25 pm by JohnDeezy89

» SAINTS: Ten things to look for when New Orleans Saints minicamp begins next weekend
Rookie DT Hayden went from practice squad to starter in two weeks EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:25 am by PanthersRowell

» Colt Freaks - site for Colts fans
Rookie DT Hayden went from practice squad to starter in two weeks EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:19 am by PanthersRowell

» The Sports Zone
Rookie DT Hayden went from practice squad to starter in two weeks EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:16 am by PanthersRowell

» My article: Defensive Tackles
Rookie DT Hayden went from practice squad to starter in two weeks EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:14 am by PanthersRowell

» Hi Everybody!
Rookie DT Hayden went from practice squad to starter in two weeks EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:07 am by PanthersRowell

» Panthers add Newton (sore shoulder) to injury report as probable
Rookie DT Hayden went from practice squad to starter in two weeks EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:05 pm by RayRay

» As Panthers' Smith climbs, Titans' Johnson keeps falling
Rookie DT Hayden went from practice squad to starter in two weeks EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:04 pm by RayRay

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
July 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

Rookie DT Hayden went from practice squad to starter in two weeks

Go down 
AuthorMessage
G Killette
Admin
G Killette

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2008-10-18

Rookie DT Hayden went from practice squad to starter in two weeks Empty
PostSubject: Rookie DT Hayden went from practice squad to starter in two weeks   Rookie DT Hayden went from practice squad to starter in two weeks EmptySat Jan 03, 2009 3:32 pm

January 2
Gaston Gazette
"The Carolina Panthers didn't want to have to play rookie Nick Hayden this year, preferring instead to give him a whole season to develop on the practice squad.

But plans changed when the Panthers were hit with a slew of injuries at defensive tackle late in the regular season, prompting Hayden to go from running with the scout team two weeks ago to starting this past Sunday against Deuce McAllister and the New Orleans Saints.

"It's crazy how it works," said Hayden, a sixth-round pick out of Wisconsin this past April.

Hayden got a rough indoctrination into the NFL when he was called up to the 53-man roster a few days before the Panthers were to play the New York Giants in a game that would determine the No. 1 seed in the NFC playoffs. Starter Maake Kemoeatu had injured his ankle the previous week and backup Gary Gibson was nursing a hand injury, so the Panthers needed a body.

Hayden played extensively, especially after Carolina's other starter, Damione Lewis, went down in the fourth quarter with a shoulder injury.

The Giants took advantage, rolling up 301 yards on the ground against the Panthers.

"Brandon Jacobs is a big boy," Hayden said when asked what he learned from that game. "I mean, trying to hit him… he's tough. The running backs are a lot more skilled at this level."

This past week, with both Kemoeatu and Lewis sitting out and Gibson on injured reserve, the 6-foot-4, 292-pound Hayden started alongside Darwin Walker against the Saints and did a significantly better job against the run. The Saints fell behind early and ran the ball only 11 times for 50 yards. Hayden finished with two tackles and two quarterback hurries, even drawing a holding penalty against the Saints, forcing them back 10 yards.

"I kept my head up high when I was on the practice squad and just kept trying to get better," said Hayden, who was never more than an Honorable Mention All Big-Ten Player for the Badgers. "As soon as my number got called I knew I would have to grow up at that time and prove to the coaches and my teammates that I can fill that role."

And while Hayden's effort is far from perfect, coach John Fox likes the effort he's seen from Hayden and free agent J'Vonne Parker, who was signed last week.

"Anytime you have two guys that started 15 games for you and they are out for the 16th that hurts you," Fox said after Carolina's 33-31 win over New Orleans. "But I thought we had guys responded great. I think they grew up a little bit. Hopefully we can get both of our starters back for that playoff game.""
Link
Back to top Go down
https://growlersden.aforumfree.com

Page 1 of 1