Growlers Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Growlers Den

Carolina Panthers Football

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» CALLING ALL PANTHER FANS
Foxhole: Two phases were enough EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:28 pm by JohnDeezy89

» IT's Alive!!!!
Foxhole: Two phases were enough EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:25 pm by JohnDeezy89

» SAINTS: Ten things to look for when New Orleans Saints minicamp begins next weekend
Foxhole: Two phases were enough EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:25 am by PanthersRowell

» Colt Freaks - site for Colts fans
Foxhole: Two phases were enough EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:19 am by PanthersRowell

» The Sports Zone
Foxhole: Two phases were enough EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:16 am by PanthersRowell

» My article: Defensive Tackles
Foxhole: Two phases were enough EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:14 am by PanthersRowell

» Hi Everybody!
Foxhole: Two phases were enough EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:07 am by PanthersRowell

» Panthers add Newton (sore shoulder) to injury report as probable
Foxhole: Two phases were enough EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:05 pm by RayRay

» As Panthers' Smith climbs, Titans' Johnson keeps falling
Foxhole: Two phases were enough EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:04 pm by RayRay

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
September 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

Foxhole: Two phases were enough

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
G Killette
Admin
G Killette

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2008-10-18

Foxhole: Two phases were enough Empty
PostSubject: Foxhole: Two phases were enough   Foxhole: Two phases were enough EmptyTue Nov 11, 2008 10:00 am

November 10, 2008
Panthers.com

http://www.panthers.com/Common/Article.aspx?id=40762

Comments from Carolina Panthers head coach John Fox's weekly press conference following Sunday's 17-6 win over the Oakland Raiders:

On injuries from Sunday: Really, there's nothing to report on the injury front. Just so you guys know, (center Ryan) Kalil did leave the game, and was replaced by Geoff Hangartner. I believe it was around the end of the first quarter. He just had a little bit of a problem pushing off. No setbacks; but that did occur.

On whether it was a re-injury for Kalil: No. It's just that until you get out there in a game, sometimes you don't totally know. Not that he was real (bad), it's just that there was a problem pushing and they (the Raiders) were pretty big inside and we needed some push.

On whether Kalil might be sidelined another week or two:
Again, we'll evaluate it Wednesday. He'll be day-to-day. That's not side-stepping it; I have no idea.

On whether defensive end Julius Peppers slightly injured his left arm in the third quarter: I didn't notice that, and there's been no report from our training room.

On winning when quarterback Jake Delhomme struggles: Being of a defensive background, I don't think there's anything ugly about a 17-6 win. Again, would I have liked our offense to play better? Yes. But I thought we ran the ball very effectively. I think DeAngelo Williams had arguably one of his best games here as a Panther. He made a lot of runs on his own, a lot of runs where he made people miss. To rush for that many yards -- I'm still happy with it. There's no question that we could have played better in the pass game, but it wasn't just Jake. There's a couple of drops, a couple of better routes (that could have been run), a couple of better protections. Again, Jake's a stand-up guy, and he's going to take responsibility. I think his teammates appreciate that about him. I know that I do as a head coach. But it's a scenario that we've got to work. These games all have different personalities. We had a pretty good idea what kind of game that was going to be. They were going to challenge us to throw. We've had games like that in the past here and we've gotten better for it. I thought it was an outstanding job by our special teams and our defense, and when you win two out of three (phases), you usually win the game -- and we did.

On how much of the team's struggles were because of the Panthers or because of how the Raiders played: Well, I think it's a combination of both. I don't want to take anything away from them (the Raiders). I thought they covered us down pretty good. I thought they made it tough for us to run, but we were still able to run, so I think that one of the real bright spots was that. Most of that was against eight-man fronts -- and aggressive eight-man fronts. I thought that was a real bright side. We just needed to be able to take more advantage of it in the pass game, and we weren't able to -- and it was a combination of both them and us.

On whether anything physically was bothering Delhomme: No.

On whether Sunday's effort was just chalked up to a bad day for Delhomme:
No. I already said what I thought it was. I thought it was a real good day in our run game, and a not-so-good day in our pass game, and it's not just Jake.

On if running back Jonathan Stewart has hit a rookie wall or if his heel injury is affecting his production: It's none of those things in my opinion. He did miss two days of practice this week. That never helps. He made some hard runs. Part of those (rushing) yards were his; there's not doubt the bulk was DeAngelo. It goes that way. Probably about a month people were wanting him to be the starter. It's a long season, and we're going to need him and he knows it and we know it. It's nothing he's done wrong.

On why Stewart has had so many runs for negative yards: I don't look at those statistics. He's made a lot of big runs for us, and we anticipate him making a lot of big runs for us moving forward. Statistically, you guys were talking about the other guy a month ago. We don't look at stats except for that 'W.'

On if he is concerned about Stewart's decisiveness: I'm totally happy with Jonathan Stewart as well as DeAngelo Williams. That's not changed.

On kick/punt returner Mark Jones: I think any offensive play, and a punt return and kickoff return are exactly that, there is no question that Mark Jones did an outstanding job in both phases and has for the most part the whole season. I think he's just shown steady improvement. As much as it is the offensive line, fullback and tight end in the run game, it's the same way in the blocking element on punt return and kickoff return. There were definitely some good cuts by him but also some good blocking in both those phases.

On the improvement in special teams, especially the return game, this year: I think there is improvement. We've, knock on wood, stayed healthier. We've got a little bit more experience as a return. Early in the year a year ago we had a rookie. I thought he (Ryne Robinson) improved as the year went on. I think Rhys Lloyd kicking off, I know that's not the return game, but that affects your coverage. We've got guys that are coachable and are doing things right and are doing it under pressure. I think that's probably the biggest difference.

On how desperate he expects the Lions to be: Probably no more desperate than we are. We are all trying to win. Again, we don't look at records. We look at the tape. That will be what it's all about – who prepares and is the most ready to play Sunday.

On Delhomme's ability to put a bad game behind him: He's done it before, and I don't anticipate any problems him doing it again. Those happen.

On if he has to talk to Delhomme because he is so emotional: Not really. Jake handles adversity and prosperity probably as well as any player I've ever been around. Of course we talk to him. I talk to just about everybody. But he doesn't need special counseling or anything.
Back to top Go down
https://growlersden.aforumfree.com
Dkes
Admin
Dkes

Number of posts : 287

PostSubject: Re: Foxhole: Two phases were enough   Foxhole: Two phases were enough EmptyTue Nov 11, 2008 8:32 pm

I love coach John, but why do they even bother to interview him. His responses are as dry as a mouth full of sand.
Back to top Go down
G Killette
Admin
G Killette

Number of posts : 1288

PostSubject: Re: Foxhole: Two phases were enough   Foxhole: Two phases were enough EmptyTue Nov 11, 2008 10:21 pm

We should hire Dennis Green just to do our press conferences. Foxhole: Two phases were enough 30939
Back to top Go down
https://growlersden.aforumfree.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Foxhole: Two phases were enough   Foxhole: Two phases were enough Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Growlers Den :: Carolina Panther Football :: Carolina Panthers News-
Jump to: