Growlers Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Growlers Den

Carolina Panthers Football

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» CALLING ALL PANTHER FANS
It's Never the Owners' Fault. Just Ask Them. EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:28 pm by JohnDeezy89

» IT's Alive!!!!
It's Never the Owners' Fault. Just Ask Them. EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:25 pm by JohnDeezy89

» SAINTS: Ten things to look for when New Orleans Saints minicamp begins next weekend
It's Never the Owners' Fault. Just Ask Them. EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:25 am by PanthersRowell

» Colt Freaks - site for Colts fans
It's Never the Owners' Fault. Just Ask Them. EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:19 am by PanthersRowell

» The Sports Zone
It's Never the Owners' Fault. Just Ask Them. EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:16 am by PanthersRowell

» My article: Defensive Tackles
It's Never the Owners' Fault. Just Ask Them. EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:14 am by PanthersRowell

» Hi Everybody!
It's Never the Owners' Fault. Just Ask Them. EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:07 am by PanthersRowell

» Panthers add Newton (sore shoulder) to injury report as probable
It's Never the Owners' Fault. Just Ask Them. EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:05 pm by RayRay

» As Panthers' Smith climbs, Titans' Johnson keeps falling
It's Never the Owners' Fault. Just Ask Them. EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:04 pm by RayRay

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
September 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

It's Never the Owners' Fault. Just Ask Them.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
G Killette
Admin
G Killette

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2008-10-18

It's Never the Owners' Fault. Just Ask Them. Empty
PostSubject: It's Never the Owners' Fault. Just Ask Them.   It's Never the Owners' Fault. Just Ask Them. EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 6:44 pm

January 1
New York Times columnist William C. Rhoden
"Just as we were getting over a string of head-coach firings in the N.F.L., the stunning news came out of Denver on Tuesday that the Broncos' president, Pat Bowlen, had fired Mike Shanahan.

Bowlen walked into Shanahan's office and, in the course of a five-minute conversation, ended a 14-year marriage.

Why? After all, they had made pretty good music together, winning two Super Bowls. Perhaps Shanahan had become too entrenched. Perhaps Bowlen, like Jerry Jones when his Dallas Cowboys had Jimmy Johnson, wanted his franchise back.

"After giving this careful consideration, I have concluded that a change in our football operations is in the best interests of the Denver Broncos," Bowlen said in a statement Tuesday.

A day later, Bowlen was teary-eyed at his news conference as he discussed Shanahan's dismissal. But all these news conferences have the same feel: gloom with just a tinge of excitement about the execution.

Once, just once, I'd like to hear an owner call a news conference to make the following announcement: As the quarterback of this franchise, I realize that I've made a number of bad reads. I've held the ball too long and taken some bad sacks. We are where we are today because of my bad decisions. I'm going to make a good decision today. Effective immediately, I am firing myself as owner.

This is a dream, of course.

The reality is that team owners place the blame for failure everywhere except in the owner's suite. That's one of the perks of being an owner: you can fire the coach in midseason, make folks push other folks overboard, make employees take the fall for your frailties.

They do this with impunity. Owners are, as B. B. King astutely points out, paying the cost to be the boss.

Before the season, the Jets' owner, Woody Johnson, called Eric Mangini one of the great up-and-coming coaches of our time and said he would be back in 2009.

Four months later, he fired Mangini. I know; that was then, this is now.

As the former coach Bum Phillips is often quoted as saying, "There's two kinds of coaches, them that's fired and them that's gonna be fired."

Shanahan's firing brings to seven the number of coaches who have been dismissed since the 2008 season began. This week, Romeo Crennel of the Cleveland Browns, Rod Marinelli of the Detroit Lions, Mangini and Shanahan were all axed."
Link
Back to top Go down
https://growlersden.aforumfree.com

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Growlers Den :: The NFL :: NFL News-
Jump to: