Growlers Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Growlers Den

Carolina Panthers Football

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» CALLING ALL PANTHER FANS
Bears' Brian Urlacher blitzes 'unwarranted' criticism EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:28 pm by JohnDeezy89

» IT's Alive!!!!
Bears' Brian Urlacher blitzes 'unwarranted' criticism EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:25 pm by JohnDeezy89

» SAINTS: Ten things to look for when New Orleans Saints minicamp begins next weekend
Bears' Brian Urlacher blitzes 'unwarranted' criticism EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:25 am by PanthersRowell

» Colt Freaks - site for Colts fans
Bears' Brian Urlacher blitzes 'unwarranted' criticism EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:19 am by PanthersRowell

» The Sports Zone
Bears' Brian Urlacher blitzes 'unwarranted' criticism EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:16 am by PanthersRowell

» My article: Defensive Tackles
Bears' Brian Urlacher blitzes 'unwarranted' criticism EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:14 am by PanthersRowell

» Hi Everybody!
Bears' Brian Urlacher blitzes 'unwarranted' criticism EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:07 am by PanthersRowell

» Panthers add Newton (sore shoulder) to injury report as probable
Bears' Brian Urlacher blitzes 'unwarranted' criticism EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:05 pm by RayRay

» As Panthers' Smith climbs, Titans' Johnson keeps falling
Bears' Brian Urlacher blitzes 'unwarranted' criticism EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:04 pm by RayRay

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
September 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

Bears' Brian Urlacher blitzes 'unwarranted' criticism

Go down 
AuthorMessage
G Killette
Admin
G Killette

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2008-10-18

Bears' Brian Urlacher blitzes 'unwarranted' criticism Empty
PostSubject: Bears' Brian Urlacher blitzes 'unwarranted' criticism   Bears' Brian Urlacher blitzes 'unwarranted' criticism EmptyThu Jan 01, 2009 6:22 pm

January 1
Chicago Tribune
"Anytime he missed a tackle or got pushed to the ground by a 300-pound lineman, Brian Urlacher became an easy target for those figuring he had lost a step.

Now that the Bears' season is over, the face of the team wanted to tackle his critics.

"I'm tired of criticism that is unwarranted," he said. "People who say stuff about me, they don't know our defense. They don't know football.

"Yes, I wish I would have made a lot more big plays. Obviously, everyone could say that on our defense. I wish I was around the ball more, but I wasn't. Just the way things worked out this season."

The Bears rewarded Urlacher with a one-year contract extension before the season, an extension that included $6 million guaranteed and a base salary of $7.5 million in 2012. Based on the coaches' review, Urlacher finished third on the team in tackles with 107, including 10 for losses. He also had two interceptions.

His tackles are far from the 171 for which the team credited him in 2005, when he was named the NFL's defensive player of the year. In fact, the only other time in his career Urlacher had fewer than 148 tackles, according to coaches' review, was in '04, when he played in just nine games due to injury but still finished with 105 stops.

Some would say he disappeared in the season finale at Houston, particularly on rookie Steve Slaton's 47-yard run.

"Yeah, that was my fault," Urlacher said with sarcasm. "Every long touchdown we gave up this season, it was my fault. Every time a receiver caught a pass for a touchdown, it was my fault too. In Atlanta, when the guy caught that pass that allowed them to kick the field goal, that was my fault."

Bears general manager Jerry Angelo didn't seem to find much fault with Urlacher this season.

"The one person I do believe in, in terms of every day and who he is, is Brian Urlacher," Angelo said. "I will never question his commitment, his passion, his love for football. He has too much character, too much pride to ever not be the best he can be.

"Is he the Brian Urlacher of old? I can't say that. Could he still make a Pro Bowl? He still has enough to make a Pro Bowl. He's still a very good football player. I have to go with what I see on tape."

Urlacher went to six Pro Bowls his first six full years before missing out last season. He was named a third alternate this year.

"I have a lot of confidence in Brian," Angelo said. "He has been a great player for the Chicago Bears. He has been a great leader for us. I respect him immensely. And you have to look at the total package when you evaluate a player.""
Link
Back to top Go down
https://growlersden.aforumfree.com

Page 1 of 1