Growlers Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Growlers Den

Carolina Panthers Football

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» CALLING ALL PANTHER FANS
A Franchise With No Direction Known EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:28 pm by JohnDeezy89

» IT's Alive!!!!
A Franchise With No Direction Known EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:25 pm by JohnDeezy89

» SAINTS: Ten things to look for when New Orleans Saints minicamp begins next weekend
A Franchise With No Direction Known EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:25 am by PanthersRowell

» Colt Freaks - site for Colts fans
A Franchise With No Direction Known EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:19 am by PanthersRowell

» The Sports Zone
A Franchise With No Direction Known EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:16 am by PanthersRowell

» My article: Defensive Tackles
A Franchise With No Direction Known EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:14 am by PanthersRowell

» Hi Everybody!
A Franchise With No Direction Known EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:07 am by PanthersRowell

» Panthers add Newton (sore shoulder) to injury report as probable
A Franchise With No Direction Known EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:05 pm by RayRay

» As Panthers' Smith climbs, Titans' Johnson keeps falling
A Franchise With No Direction Known EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:04 pm by RayRay

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
July 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

A Franchise With No Direction Known

Go down 
AuthorMessage
G Killette
Admin
G Killette

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2008-10-18

A Franchise With No Direction Known Empty
PostSubject: A Franchise With No Direction Known   A Franchise With No Direction Known EmptyTue Dec 30, 2008 9:03 am

December 30
New York Times columnist William C. Rhoden
"The news media horde was led into the Jets' sprawling, but largely empty, locker room around noon Monday. Players began to trickle in: Jay Feely, Laveranues Coles, Kellen Clemens.

For the first time all season, players and sportswriters were on the same page: everyone was stunned by the early-morning announcement that Eric Mangini had been fired as coach of the Jets.

This truly was a stunner. I guess we expected that Mangini would keep escaping.

In three seasons, Mangini had mastered the art of deflection and obfuscation. He had adopted a Belichickian style, gruff and secretive, but with an added twist of denial, forever ignoring and refusing to concede the obvious. Mangini and General Manager Mike Tannenbaum were close friends and partners in constructing a season that was so strong through the first eight games.

As recently as the end of the Jets' loss Sunday to Miami, Mangini was typically matter of fact - and a tad smug - when asked whether he expected to be back in 2009. "Yeah, I do," he said. "That's my anticipation."

No one anticipated that Mangini would be fired a few hours later.

Darrelle Revis, a second-year defensive back, was still stunned Monday afternoon. He learned from cornerback Ty Law that Mangini had been fired.

"He told me to turn on 'SportsCenter' and it's breaking news," Revis said. "It's a shock. This is something; I didn't expect it to happen."

Woody Johnson, the owner of the Jets, said team officials had been thinking about this for weeks. "This is not a decision that we reached yesterday, 10 minutes ago," he said. "This is a decision that was basically running through the season."

That may be, but according to someone who spoke with Tannenbaum on Sunday morning, Tannenbaum said Mangini would return next season.

What happened between the end of Sunday's game and 3 a.m., when reporters received an e-mail advisory of a news conference later Monday?"
Link
Back to top Go down
https://growlersden.aforumfree.com

Page 1 of 1