Growlers Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Growlers Den

Carolina Panthers Football

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» CALLING ALL PANTHER FANS
MVP candidates get one last shot to impress EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:28 pm by JohnDeezy89

» IT's Alive!!!!
MVP candidates get one last shot to impress EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:25 pm by JohnDeezy89

» SAINTS: Ten things to look for when New Orleans Saints minicamp begins next weekend
MVP candidates get one last shot to impress EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:25 am by PanthersRowell

» Colt Freaks - site for Colts fans
MVP candidates get one last shot to impress EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:19 am by PanthersRowell

» The Sports Zone
MVP candidates get one last shot to impress EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:16 am by PanthersRowell

» My article: Defensive Tackles
MVP candidates get one last shot to impress EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:14 am by PanthersRowell

» Hi Everybody!
MVP candidates get one last shot to impress EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:07 am by PanthersRowell

» Panthers add Newton (sore shoulder) to injury report as probable
MVP candidates get one last shot to impress EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:05 pm by RayRay

» As Panthers' Smith climbs, Titans' Johnson keeps falling
MVP candidates get one last shot to impress EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:04 pm by RayRay

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
October 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

MVP candidates get one last shot to impress

Go down 
AuthorMessage
G Killette
Admin
G Killette

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2008-10-18

MVP candidates get one last shot to impress Empty
PostSubject: MVP candidates get one last shot to impress   MVP candidates get one last shot to impress EmptyWed Dec 24, 2008 10:50 am

December 23
Dallas Morning News columnist Rick Gosselin
"Tom Brady was the obvious choice for NFL MVP in 2007. He set a season record with 50 touchdown passes, and his New England Patriots became the first team in NFL history to go 16-0 in a regular season.

LaDainian Tomlinson was the logical choice in 2006, when he set records for touchdowns (31) and points scored (186) on a San Diego team that went 14-2. The same with Shaun Alexander in 2005, when he set the then-record for touchdowns (28) and rushed for 1,880 yards for a Seattle team that went 13-3.

Peyton Manning was the easy choice in 2004. He set NFL records for TD passes (49) and passing efficiency (121.1) on an Indianapolis team that went 12-4.

But there is no easy, obvious or logical choice in 2008.

There are no record-breakers and no perfect teams.

But as a voter for The Associated Press, I'm going to file a ballot Sunday night with my selection for NFL MVP. Who will it be? I don't even know yet.

There are two ways to view the term "most valuable" player. Either you consider him the most productive player in the league or the player most indispensable to his team. Do you go with the stats, or do you go with team success?

I lean toward team success. But I wait until the last game is played before deciding. I learned my lesson in 1997.

I was prepared to vote Brett Favre that season - until Barry Sanders lit up the New York Jets for 184 yards rushing in a late-afternoon game on the final day of the season to hit 2,000 yards and deliver Detroit a wild-card playoff berth. I changed my vote to Sanders because his individual play willed the Lions into the playoffs.

So I won't make my decision until after the Denver-San Diego game Sunday night. That's because Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers, who was snubbed in the Pro Bowl voting, is one of the candidates I'm considering. I'm also considering Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler, who's been a one-man gang for Denver this season.

But I can't say that either has been more valuable to his team than Chad Pennington. He was the key addition to a 1-15 Miami team a year ago that has done an about face in 2008 and now sits atop the AFC East at 10-5.

Matt Cassel is another consideration. Stepping in for an injured Brady in the season opener, he saved New England's season. The Arizona Cardinals won their first division title since 1975, and Kurt Warner is the reason. And where would the Saints be without Drew Brees?"
Link
Back to top Go down
https://growlersden.aforumfree.com

Page 1 of 1