Growlers Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Growlers Den

Carolina Panthers Football

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» CALLING ALL PANTHER FANS
Lewis' milestone gets lost in defeat EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:28 pm by JohnDeezy89

» IT's Alive!!!!
Lewis' milestone gets lost in defeat EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:25 pm by JohnDeezy89

» SAINTS: Ten things to look for when New Orleans Saints minicamp begins next weekend
Lewis' milestone gets lost in defeat EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:25 am by PanthersRowell

» Colt Freaks - site for Colts fans
Lewis' milestone gets lost in defeat EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:19 am by PanthersRowell

» The Sports Zone
Lewis' milestone gets lost in defeat EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:16 am by PanthersRowell

» My article: Defensive Tackles
Lewis' milestone gets lost in defeat EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:14 am by PanthersRowell

» Hi Everybody!
Lewis' milestone gets lost in defeat EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:07 am by PanthersRowell

» Panthers add Newton (sore shoulder) to injury report as probable
Lewis' milestone gets lost in defeat EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:05 pm by RayRay

» As Panthers' Smith climbs, Titans' Johnson keeps falling
Lewis' milestone gets lost in defeat EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:04 pm by RayRay

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
July 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

Lewis' milestone gets lost in defeat

Go down 
AuthorMessage
G Killette
Admin
G Killette

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2008-10-18

Lewis' milestone gets lost in defeat Empty
PostSubject: Lewis' milestone gets lost in defeat   Lewis' milestone gets lost in defeat EmptyTue Dec 23, 2008 11:52 am

December 22
Akron Beacon Journal
"Nearing the end of what he called the worst season of his career in terms of victories, Browns running back Jamal Lewis didn't revel over his milestone.

After a 14-0 loss to the visiting Cincinnati Bengals, the Browns (4-11) could finish last in the AFC North division.

But when Lewis retires, he might cherish the elite club he joined Sunday, becoming the 24th player in NFL history to reach 10,000 rushing yards.

''It don't mean anything to me, honestly,'' Lewis said. ''I can care less about numbers, I never have. I don't know how many yards I have this season, I never do. I just look at numbers at the end of the season and where I end up.

''But I'm a winner. That's what I am and that's what I want to be. Hopefully, we can get things together around here and put together some winning seasons.''

Now with 10,013 yards, Lewis, a nine-year veteran, is the second Browns player to reach 10,000, joining hall of famer Jim Brown, who totaled 12,312 in 1957-65. Brown is now executive adviser to owner Randy Lerner.

''It's always great to be mentioned in the likes of a great running back like Jim Brown and be around a facility where he's there most of the time,'' Lewis said. ''It's a great deal and I'm happy here. Hopefully, there will be more milestones to cross over.''

Lewis came in needing 63 yards to reach 10,000 and picked up 76 yards on 16 carries. He went over on an 8-yard run early in the third quarter. The public address announcer relayed the news after the next play.

''That's a tremendous stat to have, to be amongst the Barry Sanderses and Curtis Martins and the Jim Browns,'' wide receiver Braylon Edwards said. ''To be in that elite group says a lot about what he's done in his career. We're all proud and I'm happy I had a chance to be a part of it when he was here.''

Center Hank Fraley felt the same way.

''It's a great feeling,'' Fraley said. ''We knew going into this game how many yards he needed. I enjoy blocking for him. He runs hard.''

The fifth overall pick in the 2000 draft, Lewis said he never dreamed about 10,000 back then.

''I really didn't,'' he said. ''It's just over the years and putting up good numbers and just trying to stay consistent. It added up.''

Lewis has 908 yards (3.5 per carry) going into Sunday's season finale against the Pittsburgh Steelers. The Steelers boasted the league's No. 1 defense last week and were giving up 75.8 rushing yards per game.

Mea culpa?

Edwards sounded like he was apologizing for his comments after Monday night's game in Philadelphia, when he said he was a ''marked man'' because he went to Michigan and Browns fans could not accept him.

He saluted those who came out in the bitter cold, with the wind chill zero at kickoff and falling during the game.

Asked how the home crowd treated him, Edwards said: ''I really didn't listen. My job was to go out there and try to get a win. Try to make some plays, help [
link
Back to top Go down
https://growlersden.aforumfree.com

Page 1 of 1