Growlers Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Growlers Den

Carolina Panthers Football

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» CALLING ALL PANTHER FANS
Veteran LB Diggs has hung on to starting job with solid play EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:28 pm by JohnDeezy89

» IT's Alive!!!!
Veteran LB Diggs has hung on to starting job with solid play EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:25 pm by JohnDeezy89

» SAINTS: Ten things to look for when New Orleans Saints minicamp begins next weekend
Veteran LB Diggs has hung on to starting job with solid play EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:25 am by PanthersRowell

» Colt Freaks - site for Colts fans
Veteran LB Diggs has hung on to starting job with solid play EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:19 am by PanthersRowell

» The Sports Zone
Veteran LB Diggs has hung on to starting job with solid play EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:16 am by PanthersRowell

» My article: Defensive Tackles
Veteran LB Diggs has hung on to starting job with solid play EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:14 am by PanthersRowell

» Hi Everybody!
Veteran LB Diggs has hung on to starting job with solid play EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:07 am by PanthersRowell

» Panthers add Newton (sore shoulder) to injury report as probable
Veteran LB Diggs has hung on to starting job with solid play EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:05 pm by RayRay

» As Panthers' Smith climbs, Titans' Johnson keeps falling
Veteran LB Diggs has hung on to starting job with solid play EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:04 pm by RayRay

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
September 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

Veteran LB Diggs has hung on to starting job with solid play

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
G Killette
Admin
G Killette

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2008-10-18

Veteran LB Diggs has hung on to starting job with solid play Empty
PostSubject: Veteran LB Diggs has hung on to starting job with solid play   Veteran LB Diggs has hung on to starting job with solid play EmptyFri Dec 19, 2008 8:47 pm

Veteran LB Diggs has hung on to starting job with solid play December 19
Gaston Gazette
"When the Carolina Panthers signed unrestricted free agent Landon Johnson this off-season, the only conclusion you could make from that move was that Na'il Diggs' days as a starter were numbered.

How often does a team pay a guy $10 million over three years and not make him the starter?

With former first-round picks Thomas Davis and Jon Beason locked in as starters, it seemed Diggs would be the odd man out. But coach John Fox has always held the belief that jobs are won and lost based on production on the football field rather than a player's W2 forms.

Diggs, who started the previous two seasons, opened up in minicamp as the team's starting strong side linebacker and never surrendered it. He's started every game and has quietly put together a solid season with 57 tackles, two pass breakups, an interception and a sack.

Meanwhile, Johnson has been almost a non-factor for Panthers on defense with seven tackles and one forced fumble.

"I wouldn't really say I held him off. I think I looked at it in a very professional way, I really didn't look at it as a money factor," Diggs said of the competition with Johnson. "This is my ninth year and I've seen guys come in and out, regardless of money and do well or not do well. I think Landon's a great football player. I took the approach to just do what I do, to really bust my tail in camp, to stay focused, to not get caught up in why are they bringing this guy in, all the sideline stuff and just basically focus on that's making the team better.

"That's all I did. I didn't look at it like, 'Oh, I've got to fight this guy off.' I just kept to the grind, kept doing what I did for nine years."

Said coach John Fox: "We brought new guys in. We brought a running back in, too. You want competition and you want depth. Na'il was a good player for us a year ago and he worked very hard this offseason and he's been a good football player again for us this year. Competition is a good thing."

Diggs said during his time in the league he's seen guys sulk when a team signs a player at his position.

He decided that wasn't the way he wanted to approach it.

He talked with some members of the coaching staff and knew the Panthers were going to sign Johnson even before it happened.

That gave him time to put things in perspective.

"I felt like if I was doing something that wrong, I wouldn't be here," said Diggs, also an important member of Carolina's special teams units. "If they wanted to replace me, I wouldn't be here. I just roll with the punches. I didn't look at it too much like, 'Oh, they're going to do this and do that to me,' because you don't know, really."
Link
Back to top Go down
https://growlersden.aforumfree.com
Dkes
Admin
Dkes

Number of posts : 287

PostSubject: Re: Veteran LB Diggs has hung on to starting job with solid play   Veteran LB Diggs has hung on to starting job with solid play EmptyFri Dec 19, 2008 10:45 pm

I'm glad somebody did a story on this. We were talking about this last week. It seems they are always bringing somebody in to replace Diggs. This year it was free agency. Most years it's the draft. Sometimes it has been NFL Europe. Remember it wasn't that long ago that we had Diggs, Davis, Beason and Morgan. Before that I think it was Morgan, Draft, Davis, Diggs,etc. Every year it seems that Diggs will be odd man out and every year he keeps poundin'. Great job Diggs!!!
Back to top Go down
G Killette
Admin
G Killette

Number of posts : 1288

PostSubject: Re: Veteran LB Diggs has hung on to starting job with solid play   Veteran LB Diggs has hung on to starting job with solid play EmptySat Dec 20, 2008 5:11 pm

Keeps Pounding!!!
There is no better way to describe a Panther LB. Veteran LB Diggs has hung on to starting job with solid play 90662

Seriously, Johnson was Cincys best tackler last season and cannot even make our starting line-up. :scratch:
Go Figure.
Back to top Go down
https://growlersden.aforumfree.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Veteran LB Diggs has hung on to starting job with solid play   Veteran LB Diggs has hung on to starting job with solid play Empty

Back to top Go down

Veteran LB Diggs has hung on to starting job with solid play
Page 1 of 1