Growlers Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Growlers Den

Carolina Panthers Football

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» CALLING ALL PANTHER FANS
Panthers quartet is Pro Bowl-bound EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:28 pm by JohnDeezy89

» IT's Alive!!!!
Panthers quartet is Pro Bowl-bound EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:25 pm by JohnDeezy89

» SAINTS: Ten things to look for when New Orleans Saints minicamp begins next weekend
Panthers quartet is Pro Bowl-bound EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:25 am by PanthersRowell

» Colt Freaks - site for Colts fans
Panthers quartet is Pro Bowl-bound EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:19 am by PanthersRowell

» The Sports Zone
Panthers quartet is Pro Bowl-bound EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:16 am by PanthersRowell

» My article: Defensive Tackles
Panthers quartet is Pro Bowl-bound EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:14 am by PanthersRowell

» Hi Everybody!
Panthers quartet is Pro Bowl-bound EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:07 am by PanthersRowell

» Panthers add Newton (sore shoulder) to injury report as probable
Panthers quartet is Pro Bowl-bound EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:05 pm by RayRay

» As Panthers' Smith climbs, Titans' Johnson keeps falling
Panthers quartet is Pro Bowl-bound EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:04 pm by RayRay

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
July 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

Panthers quartet is Pro Bowl-bound

Go down 
AuthorMessage
G Killette
Admin
G Killette

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2008-10-18

Panthers quartet is Pro Bowl-bound Empty
PostSubject: Panthers quartet is Pro Bowl-bound   Panthers quartet is Pro Bowl-bound EmptyFri Dec 19, 2008 8:38 pm

December 17
Charlotte Observer
"Jordan Gross was 20 when he first went to Hawaii for his honeymoon.

Now he's going back with three other Carolina teammates to play in the Pro Bowl, a reward for an 11-3 start to the season.

Gross and defensive end Julius Peppers were selected as starters for the NFC in balloting by coaches, players and fans. Receiver Steve Smith and linebacker Jon Beason made it as reserves.

The NFC stars face the AFC on Feb.8 in Honolulu.

Peppers and Smith made the Pro Bowl for the fourth time, while Gross and Beason are first-time honorees.

Running back DeAngelo Williams is a first alternate and would be added to the team if one of the three Pro Bowl backs - Minnesota's Adrian Peterson, Atlanta's Michael Turner and Washington's Clinton Portis - is unable to participate.

Among other players who didn't make the Pro Bowl despite having outstanding seasons were kicker John Kasay and guard Travelle Wharton.

Gross has been considered a worthy candidate for several years and was thrilled by his selection.

"It's one of those deals where this is my sixth season and it's something I've always wanted and the last few seasons I thought maybe I was playing at a high enough level to earn it, but didn't," he said. "To have it happen now is great because I've been on the other side of the fence."

Gross anchors a Carolina offensive line that has paved the way for arguably the best rushing season in team history.

"This is just the beginning of what's to come for the Panthers' (offensive) line," said Gross. "Travelle has found a great home on the left side at guard, (Ryan) Kalil is an outstanding center and (rookie right tackle Jeff) Otah, the sky's the limit for him. I'm glad I could get (the Pro Bowl spot) now because I'll be competing with them in the future."

Williams leads the NFL with 16 TDs and ranks fourth with 1,229 yards, but the top three rushers all play in the NFC and he was unable to beat them out.

Peppers, having a bounce-back season after a down year in 2007, ranks sixth in the league with 121/2 sacks.

Peppers and Gross are to become unrestricted free agents after this season, so their selections amplify their status as elite players at their positions. One of the Panthers' goals before free agency starts next year is to get them signed to long-term deals.

Peppers wasn't available for comment, but Gross said he had has a good relationship with team officials and sees no reason why they can't reach a contract agreement.

Beason, in his second season, has established himself as one of the league's best middle linebackers.

"I'm emotional and didn't think I would be," he said. "It means a lot to know your peers recognize the way you play.""
Link
Back to top Go down
https://growlersden.aforumfree.com

Page 1 of 1