Growlers Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Growlers Den

Carolina Panthers Football

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» CALLING ALL PANTHER FANS
Former coach Mike Martz deserves his due for years of Rams success EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:28 pm by JohnDeezy89

» IT's Alive!!!!
Former coach Mike Martz deserves his due for years of Rams success EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:25 pm by JohnDeezy89

» SAINTS: Ten things to look for when New Orleans Saints minicamp begins next weekend
Former coach Mike Martz deserves his due for years of Rams success EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:25 am by PanthersRowell

» Colt Freaks - site for Colts fans
Former coach Mike Martz deserves his due for years of Rams success EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:19 am by PanthersRowell

» The Sports Zone
Former coach Mike Martz deserves his due for years of Rams success EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:16 am by PanthersRowell

» My article: Defensive Tackles
Former coach Mike Martz deserves his due for years of Rams success EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:14 am by PanthersRowell

» Hi Everybody!
Former coach Mike Martz deserves his due for years of Rams success EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:07 am by PanthersRowell

» Panthers add Newton (sore shoulder) to injury report as probable
Former coach Mike Martz deserves his due for years of Rams success EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:05 pm by RayRay

» As Panthers' Smith climbs, Titans' Johnson keeps falling
Former coach Mike Martz deserves his due for years of Rams success EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:04 pm by RayRay

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
July 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

Former coach Mike Martz deserves his due for years of Rams success

Go down 
AuthorMessage
G Killette
Admin
G Killette

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2008-10-18

Former coach Mike Martz deserves his due for years of Rams success Empty
PostSubject: Former coach Mike Martz deserves his due for years of Rams success   Former coach Mike Martz deserves his due for years of Rams success EmptyFri Dec 19, 2008 7:11 pm

December 19
St. Louis Post-Dispatch columnist Bryan Burwell
"I wonder what Mike Martz must be thinking right now as he sits out there on the West Coast quietly observing from a distance the long-overdue power shift unfolding at Rams Park.

Is he smiling or cursing?

Is he feeling some measure of vindication, or does it hurt too much to feel any satisfaction from a justifiable "I told you so"?

I bring this up now because I remember an enlightening conversation we had more than three years ago, just before the start of his sixth and final season as the Rams' head coach. We sat in his office on the second floor of the team training facility, and as Martz sat on a soft leather couch with the windows to the practice fields behind him, he told me an incredible story. He said conspirators, saboteurs and incompetent meddlers were surrounding him and they were all plotting to get him fired.

He told me that they would destroy him unless, of course, he destroyed them first.

At the time I remember thinking, "Whoa, is this dude paranoid."

Almost immediately though, I thought something else, having been around Rams Park long enough to observe the way things worked around there. "Yeah, he might be paranoid, but that still doesn't mean someone's not out to get him."

Martz was the first man inside Rams Park who articulated perfectly just how dysfunctional things were behind that glittering glass and chrome entrance. And now he's coming back to town this weekend as the offensive coordinator of the San Francisco 49ers. But in reality, he is still a head-coach-in-exile. Seeing him on an NFL sideline marching to someone else's orders just doesn't feel right.

If only the Rams Park environment was different back then. If only Martz had been surrounded by strong football men he respected and trusted, who knows how much different the recent history of the team might be? If only there were smart football men in charge back then like there are now. Maybe then someone could have saved the eccentric Martz from his own worst instincts and insulated him from the destructive office politics. And who knows? He might still be a head coach and the franchise would never have fallen on such tough times.

But that opportunity was lost in his final days here, when his brilliant and turbulent stay ended with an unceremonious firing. Since then, Martz has been a vagabond, peddling his creative X's and O's from town to town, team to team, hoping that one day his image as a true football genius will again be restored."
Link
Back to top Go down
https://growlersden.aforumfree.com

Page 1 of 1