Growlers Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Growlers Den

Carolina Panthers Football

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» CALLING ALL PANTHER FANS
Vikings' Pat Williams could miss playoffs EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:28 pm by JohnDeezy89

» IT's Alive!!!!
Vikings' Pat Williams could miss playoffs EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:25 pm by JohnDeezy89

» SAINTS: Ten things to look for when New Orleans Saints minicamp begins next weekend
Vikings' Pat Williams could miss playoffs EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:25 am by PanthersRowell

» Colt Freaks - site for Colts fans
Vikings' Pat Williams could miss playoffs EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:19 am by PanthersRowell

» The Sports Zone
Vikings' Pat Williams could miss playoffs EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:16 am by PanthersRowell

» My article: Defensive Tackles
Vikings' Pat Williams could miss playoffs EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:14 am by PanthersRowell

» Hi Everybody!
Vikings' Pat Williams could miss playoffs EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:07 am by PanthersRowell

» Panthers add Newton (sore shoulder) to injury report as probable
Vikings' Pat Williams could miss playoffs EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:05 pm by RayRay

» As Panthers' Smith climbs, Titans' Johnson keeps falling
Vikings' Pat Williams could miss playoffs EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:04 pm by RayRay

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
July 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

Vikings' Pat Williams could miss playoffs

Go down 
AuthorMessage
G Killette
Admin
G Killette

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2008-10-18

Vikings' Pat Williams could miss playoffs Empty
PostSubject: Vikings' Pat Williams could miss playoffs   Vikings' Pat Williams could miss playoffs EmptyTue Dec 16, 2008 2:52 pm

December 16
Minneapolis Star Tribune
"The Vikings will face the NFL's top-ranked rushing offense Sunday against Atlanta, but they will do so without run-stuffing Pro Bowl defensive tackle Pat Williams, who might be lost for the season.

Vikings coach Brad Childress announced Monday that Williams suffered a broken right shoulder in Sunday's 35-14 victory at Arizona and will be sidelined two to six weeks. Williams was carted to the locker room after suffering the injury early in the third quarter, when he appeared to collide with teammate Chad Greenway trying to tackle Cardinals tight end Ben Patrick.

His return likely would fall in the middle of Childress' timetable, assuming the Vikings made the playoffs and advanced.

"Pat's a tough guy," Childress said. "There is a certain amount of healing that has to happen and then he has to get the arm to move the way he wants to."

Williams will miss the final two regular-season games at the very least. His status for any potential playoff games will be determined by how quickly the fracture heals.

Fred Evans will take over as the starter at nose tackle, but Childress said the team could rotate several players in that spot, including fellow Pro Bowl tackle Kevin Williams.

The coaching staff has given Evans meaningful playing time this season in order to help keep Pat Williams fresh. Evans has recorded 10 tackles and 15 quarterback hurries.

Williams, however, is one the league's top run-stopping tackles, and his loss is a considerable blow to a unit that ranks No. 1 in the NFL in rushing defense. The timing is not good either, considering the Falcons, led by running back Michael Turner's 1,421 yards, are tied with the New York Giants for first in the NFL in rushing. The Vikings then play host to the Giants in the regular-season finale.

"I'm not concerned at all," Evans said. "I'm not concerned at all about them. I'm ready for the challenge, personally."

Evans acknowledged he has "big shoes to fill," but it's something he has prepared for since news broke that Williams faced a four-game suspension for testing positive for a banned diuretic. Williams was suspended four games Dec. 2 but was allowed to play as the case is being challenged in court.

"I've played a lot this year, and when you play that much, it helps your intensity and everything," Evans said. "Football is football. But your swagger and your intensity builds the more you play, so you feel more comfortable with the more reps you get."

Others who could see action include recently signed Jimmy Kennedy and little-used rookie Letroy Guion.

Beyond the two-to-six week timetable, Childress declined to speculate on when Williams might return. Regardless, the injury will halt his streak of consecutive starts at 72 -- a league high among defensive tackles, according to ESPN research.

"I know he'll fight his tail off to get back," Childress said. "I don't have any plans to put him on the injured reserve list or anythi
Link
Back to top Go down
https://growlersden.aforumfree.com

Page 1 of 1