Growlers Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Growlers Den

Carolina Panthers Football

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» CALLING ALL PANTHER FANS
Christmas Charities?? EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:28 pm by JohnDeezy89

» IT's Alive!!!!
Christmas Charities?? EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:25 pm by JohnDeezy89

» SAINTS: Ten things to look for when New Orleans Saints minicamp begins next weekend
Christmas Charities?? EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:25 am by PanthersRowell

» Colt Freaks - site for Colts fans
Christmas Charities?? EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:19 am by PanthersRowell

» The Sports Zone
Christmas Charities?? EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:16 am by PanthersRowell

» My article: Defensive Tackles
Christmas Charities?? EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:14 am by PanthersRowell

» Hi Everybody!
Christmas Charities?? EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:07 am by PanthersRowell

» Panthers add Newton (sore shoulder) to injury report as probable
Christmas Charities?? EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:05 pm by RayRay

» As Panthers' Smith climbs, Titans' Johnson keeps falling
Christmas Charities?? EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:04 pm by RayRay

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
September 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

Christmas Charities??

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Dkes
Admin
Dkes

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2008-10-18

Christmas Charities?? Empty
PostSubject: Christmas Charities??   Christmas Charities?? EmptySun Nov 16, 2008 7:16 pm

My family isn't wealthy by any means. We're just normal lower middle class, but we have everything we need. We are trying to locate a Christmas Charity that we could use to help us adopt a family for Christmas. We know that there are families/children out there that could use a little help around the holidays. Our idea is that if we can convince all the adults in the family, in-laws, siblings, etc. to team up and buy for a family instead of buying some piece of garbage for each other, that we don't really need, we could make a real difference in someones life. In our estimation, we could easily provide toys/gifts for children, a tree and a small feast for the same amount that we spend on each other.

Does anyone know of an organization that would help us find a needy family or children? We don't want to just give money. We would like to be involved to a certain extent as far as shopping, wrapping presents, etc. This would serve as our gift to one another. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
G Killette
Admin
G Killette

Number of posts : 1288

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Charities??   Christmas Charities?? EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 9:28 pm

I would check with your Fire Dept. or even the Police Dept.

Awesome Idea man!!!
Back to top Go down
https://growlersden.aforumfree.com
Dkes
Admin
Dkes

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Charities??   Christmas Charities?? EmptyTue Nov 18, 2008 9:49 am

Good idea. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Dkes
Admin
Dkes

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Charities??   Christmas Charities?? EmptySun Dec 21, 2008 3:53 pm

Well we did it. We used Mecklenburg County Department of Social Services to help us find an appropriate candidate. We found a single mother, with 3 kids, who was working as much as she could but it still wasn't enough. They provided us with a sensible wish list. All told, between my parents, inlaws, siblings and my wife and I, we raised close to $700. We bought every item on their wishlist. Clothes, toys, bikes, pots and pans, towels, you name it. We also were able to get the local grocery store to give us a turkey. We spent the remainder of our funds on a cabinet full of groceries and even had a little cash left over to be used on a power bill. We delivered everything yesterday and were pleased to find that they were really in need and they were very grateful. We have all decided to do this every year as a new tradition. The best thing is that my daughter will grow up with this new tradition and hopefully pass this lesson on to her family when she becomes an adult.

Due in large part to this activity, I am more excited about Christmas this year than any other as an adult. I am very proud of all of my family for working together to make this happen. We spent more time together than usual. Normally when we buy for each other, we just see each other for a few hours on Christmas. This took alot of planning and we did it all together. We probably got together 3 or 4 times for 2-3 hours each time.

I'm not posting this to "brag" or say "hey look at me". I'm just adding a little closure to the topic and hoping that maybe I can influence someone else to find their christmas spirit (assuming they may have lost it the way I did). Merry Christmas guys.....it's been a great season so far and I appreciate all of you as the family I have never met. Hope to change that last part some day. Love, peace, and axle grease.

dkes
Back to top Go down
jschnars

Number of posts : 119

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Charities??   Christmas Charities?? EmptyMon Dec 22, 2008 10:07 pm

That's awesome! When I can afford to do something like that I definitely will.
Back to top Go down
G Killette
Admin
G Killette

Number of posts : 1288

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Charities??   Christmas Charities?? EmptyWed Dec 24, 2008 11:37 am

Dkes wrote:
Well we did it. We used Mecklenburg County Department of Social Services to help us find an appropriate candidate. We found a single mother, with 3 kids, who was working as much as she could but it still wasn't enough. They provided us with a sensible wish list. All told, between my parents, inlaws, siblings and my wife and I, we raised close to $700. We bought every item on their wishlist. Clothes, toys, bikes, pots and pans, towels, you name it. We also were able to get the local grocery store to give us a turkey. We spent the remainder of our funds on a cabinet full of groceries and even had a little cash left over to be used on a power bill. We delivered everything yesterday and were pleased to find that they were really in need and they were very grateful. We have all decided to do this every year as a new tradition. The best thing is that my daughter will grow up with this new tradition and hopefully pass this lesson on to her family when she becomes an adult.

Due in large part to this activity, I am more excited about Christmas this year than any other as an adult. I am very proud of all of my family for working together to make this happen. We spent more time together than usual. Normally when we buy for each other, we just see each other for a few hours on Christmas. This took alot of planning and we did it all together. We probably got together 3 or 4 times for 2-3 hours each time.

I'm not posting this to "brag" or say "hey look at me". I'm just adding a little closure to the topic and hoping that maybe I can influence someone else to find their christmas spirit (assuming they may have lost it the way I did). Merry Christmas guys.....it's been a great season so far and I appreciate all of you as the family I have never met. Hope to change that last part some day. Love, peace, and axle grease.

dkes
Now that is what Christmas is!!!! Awesome Dude.
Back to top Go down
https://growlersden.aforumfree.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Charities??   Christmas Charities?? Empty

Back to top Go down

Christmas Charities??
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Growlers Den :: The Lounge :: Random Discussion-
Jump to: