Growlers Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Growlers Den

Carolina Panthers Football

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» CALLING ALL PANTHER FANS
A new beginning for Alex Smith with 49ers EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:28 pm by JohnDeezy89

» IT's Alive!!!!
A new beginning for Alex Smith with 49ers EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:25 pm by JohnDeezy89

» SAINTS: Ten things to look for when New Orleans Saints minicamp begins next weekend
A new beginning for Alex Smith with 49ers EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:25 am by PanthersRowell

» Colt Freaks - site for Colts fans
A new beginning for Alex Smith with 49ers EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:19 am by PanthersRowell

» The Sports Zone
A new beginning for Alex Smith with 49ers EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:16 am by PanthersRowell

» My article: Defensive Tackles
A new beginning for Alex Smith with 49ers EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:14 am by PanthersRowell

» Hi Everybody!
A new beginning for Alex Smith with 49ers EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:07 am by PanthersRowell

» Panthers add Newton (sore shoulder) to injury report as probable
A new beginning for Alex Smith with 49ers EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:05 pm by RayRay

» As Panthers' Smith climbs, Titans' Johnson keeps falling
A new beginning for Alex Smith with 49ers EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:04 pm by RayRay

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
September 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

A new beginning for Alex Smith with 49ers

Go down 
AuthorMessage
G Killette
Admin
G Killette

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2008-10-18

A new beginning for Alex Smith with 49ers Empty
PostSubject: A new beginning for Alex Smith with 49ers   A new beginning for Alex Smith with 49ers EmptySat Mar 14, 2009 12:35 pm

March 11
San Jose Mercury News columnist Ann Killion

"The worst thing you could ever say about Alex Smith was that he wasn't worth the money the 49ers paid him.

Now you can't say that.

Smith agreed to a massively restructured contract Tuesday, for reportedly less than half of what he had coming for his remaining two years.

"It was important to me, because I felt like I had unfinished business here," Smith said in a conference call.

Though he refrained from ripping his old boss Mike Nolan, Smith remarked on the "different feeling around the facility. A fresh attitude."

Fans might not recognize that fresh feeling, at least not at quarterback. That competition looks like a do-over of 2006: Smith vs. Shaun Hill with Damon Huard in the role of Trent Dilfer. And, of course, there's a new offensive coordinator to break in.

But since the 49ers are lacking bright ideas in regard to quarterbacks (instead taking a weird run at Kurt Warner) and they're unlikely to tie up another first-round pick on a quarterback, why not keep Smith in the fold? They might as well see if they can get something out of their enormous investment.

Reduced pay may or may not come with reduced expectations. Smith would certainly have an easier time in a different market, where he wouldn't be bringing his No. 1 draft-pick baggage. ESPN reported that other teams were interested in paying Smith more than he will make with the 49ers.

But agreeing to a pay cut without drama or histrionics is in keeping with Smith's character.

Four years ago, Smith was drafted over Aaron Rodgers based on his character. And he was also almost ruined by the 49ers based on his character — he kept trying to play when he was seriously injured rather than telling his knucklehead coach to take a hike.

If I sound like a Smith apologist, then I guess I am. Not because I'm positive he will become a fantastic NFL quarterback, but because I don't think he has had a fair shake. "
Link
Back to top Go down
https://growlersden.aforumfree.com

Page 1 of 1