Growlers Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Growlers Den

Carolina Panthers Football

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» CALLING ALL PANTHER FANS
VIKINGS:  Sage Investment?  We'll see... EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:28 pm by JohnDeezy89

» IT's Alive!!!!
VIKINGS:  Sage Investment?  We'll see... EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:25 pm by JohnDeezy89

» SAINTS: Ten things to look for when New Orleans Saints minicamp begins next weekend
VIKINGS:  Sage Investment?  We'll see... EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:25 am by PanthersRowell

» Colt Freaks - site for Colts fans
VIKINGS:  Sage Investment?  We'll see... EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:19 am by PanthersRowell

» The Sports Zone
VIKINGS:  Sage Investment?  We'll see... EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:16 am by PanthersRowell

» My article: Defensive Tackles
VIKINGS:  Sage Investment?  We'll see... EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:14 am by PanthersRowell

» Hi Everybody!
VIKINGS:  Sage Investment?  We'll see... EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:07 am by PanthersRowell

» Panthers add Newton (sore shoulder) to injury report as probable
VIKINGS:  Sage Investment?  We'll see... EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:05 pm by RayRay

» As Panthers' Smith climbs, Titans' Johnson keeps falling
VIKINGS:  Sage Investment?  We'll see... EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:04 pm by RayRay

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
July 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

VIKINGS: Sage Investment? We'll see...

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dkes
Admin
Dkes

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2008-10-18

VIKINGS:  Sage Investment?  We'll see... Empty
PostSubject: VIKINGS: Sage Investment? We'll see...   VIKINGS:  Sage Investment?  We'll see... EmptySat Feb 28, 2009 1:29 pm

The Vikings are gambling that veteran backup Sage Rosenfels can start or push Tarvaris Jackson to excel.

By CHIP SCOGGINS, Star Tribune

Sage Rosenfels admits he initially was disappointed when a potential trade to the Vikings fell through last offseason because the Houston Texans asking price was too steep for the veteran quarterback.

A year later, Rosenfels got his wish when the Vikings acquired the Iowa native for a fourth-round draft pick with the promise that he will compete with Tarvaris Jackson to be the starter in 2009.

Rosenfels addressed the media Friday after signing what amounts to a three-year, $9 million contract that calls for $5 million in guarantees.

"There are a lot of things that are appealing about having a chance to start for this team," he said. "It's a chance to compete for the starting job. This is a very good football team. I think everyone knows that. They've got a lot of strengths. They've got a great defense, one of the best running games in the league. For a quarterback to come in, it's a great opportunity."

The Vikings released veteran Gus Frerotte to make room for Rosenfels, who turns 31 next week. Brad Childress said the team also might bring a fourth quarterback -- they also have second-year man John David Booty -- to training camp, although the Vikings coach was coy when asked the caliber of quarterback they still might pursue.

However, it appears to be a two-man competition at this point, and Rosenfels said he's grateful for the opportunity to compete for a starting job.

"I was hoping to have a chance to compete in Houston and a couple of things happened and they went and got Matt Schaub [in a trade with the Falcons]," Rosenfels said. "He got a huge contract, and they gave up two second-rounders for him. That competition was sort of over before it started."

A native of Maquoketa, Iowa, Rosenfels has served mostly as a backup in the NFL. He's started 12 games in his eight-year career and has thrown 30 touchdown passes and 29 interceptions with an 81.2 rating.

Rosenfels' arrival on the first full day of free agency was greeted by some skepticism among Vikings fans who are skittish about the team's quarterback prospects coming off a season in which the team won the NFC North title.

"If you're sitting there as average Joe Fan it's like, 'This is our answer?'" said Rosenfels agent, Rick Smith. "But the bottom line is if the fans give him time and sit back and watch what he can do, I think they'll come to appreciate him. He's very intelligent, a great community guy, a good speaker, a good leader and can run the West Coast offense very well."

Rosenfels might not be a household name, but the Vikings were very familiar with him. Vikings Vice President of Player Personnel Rick Spielman was a Dolphins executive when Miami acquired Rosenfels from Washington in 2002.

The Vikings also were impressed with Rosenfels' performance in the second half of a 28-21 loss to the Vikings this past season. Filling in for an injured Schaub, he completed 21 of 29 passes for 224 yards and two touchdowns with one interception.

Spielman said trade talks with the Texans heated up again at the NFL Scouting Combine last week. He decided to pull the trigger rather than wait and see what happens in free agency.

"When there is an opportunity that presents itself, and you think it's the right deal to get in place, then you go ahead and do it at that time," Spielman said. "Because you'd hate to say, 'Well, I'm going to wait for this or wait for that,' and then all of a sudden that opportunity has left and now you're left with nothing."

Childress said Rosenfels and Jackson will get an equal opportunity in minicamps and training camp to win the job. Childress has had several conversations with Jackson about the situation, including one Friday, and said he expects both quarterbacks to embrace the challenge.

"You have to respond to competition," he said. "You can either fade under that light or you can revel in it. But it's going to be the same wherever you go. There's no promises. It's our job to put the best people on the field to compete, and that's what this thing is all about."

Rosenfels said he's ready for the competition.

"I think the No. 1 thing I want fans to know is that I'm an extremely hard worker, and I think people from the Upper Midwest can really appreciate that," he said. "I'm a guy that probably brings some fire and some intensity. You'll never have a problem with a lack of effort from me."

Access: Vikings for up to date information on the Vikings in free agency at startribune.com/vikings.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/40455672.html?page=1&c=y
Back to top Go down

VIKINGS: Sage Investment? We'll see...
Page 1 of 1