Growlers Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Growlers Den

Carolina Panthers Football

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» CALLING ALL PANTHER FANS
Ex-McHenry Co. sheriff's deputy: I was fired over panic disorder EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:28 pm by JohnDeezy89

» IT's Alive!!!!
Ex-McHenry Co. sheriff's deputy: I was fired over panic disorder EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:25 pm by JohnDeezy89

» SAINTS: Ten things to look for when New Orleans Saints minicamp begins next weekend
Ex-McHenry Co. sheriff's deputy: I was fired over panic disorder EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:25 am by PanthersRowell

» Colt Freaks - site for Colts fans
Ex-McHenry Co. sheriff's deputy: I was fired over panic disorder EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:19 am by PanthersRowell

» The Sports Zone
Ex-McHenry Co. sheriff's deputy: I was fired over panic disorder EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:16 am by PanthersRowell

» My article: Defensive Tackles
Ex-McHenry Co. sheriff's deputy: I was fired over panic disorder EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:14 am by PanthersRowell

» Hi Everybody!
Ex-McHenry Co. sheriff's deputy: I was fired over panic disorder EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:07 am by PanthersRowell

» Panthers add Newton (sore shoulder) to injury report as probable
Ex-McHenry Co. sheriff's deputy: I was fired over panic disorder EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:05 pm by RayRay

» As Panthers' Smith climbs, Titans' Johnson keeps falling
Ex-McHenry Co. sheriff's deputy: I was fired over panic disorder EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:04 pm by RayRay

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
July 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

Ex-McHenry Co. sheriff's deputy: I was fired over panic disorder

Go down 
AuthorMessage
G Killette
Admin
G Killette

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2008-10-18

Ex-McHenry Co. sheriff's deputy: I was fired over panic disorder Empty
PostSubject: Ex-McHenry Co. sheriff's deputy: I was fired over panic disorder   Ex-McHenry Co. sheriff's deputy: I was fired over panic disorder EmptyThu Feb 26, 2009 6:07 pm

By Charles Keeshan |
Daily Herald StaffContact writerPublished: 2/25/2009 12:20 PM.

A fired McHenry County Sheriff's deputy filed suit against the department this week, claiming he was dismissed unlawfully because he suffers from panic disorder.

Former deputy Robert Schlenkert is seeking a minimum $50,000 in damages through the discrimination lawsuit that also claims he lost his job because he complained to state authorities about his treatment by his supervisors.

Schlenkert, a 17-year sheriff's department veteran, was diagnosed with panic disorder in 2001 and placed on involuntary leave due to "psychological issues" in April 2005, according to the lawsuit. About 19 months later, the suit states, doctors cleared him to return to work.

His attorney, Cathleen Potter, says in the suit that despite Schlenkert's condition, he is fit and able to work as a sheriff's deputy.

"(He) was competent to perform all of the essential functions of his position in a manner that met and/or exceeded legitimate expectations," the suit states. "He had an outstanding work history and was never subjected to disciplinary action."

However, court records indicate Sheriff Keith Nygren wasn't so sure Schlenkert was ready to return. So rather than put him back on patrol after doctors cleared him, the sheriff ordered Schlenkert in May 2007 to attend a full police academy program in Champaign, the same training given to would-be officers with no police experience.

Schlenkert never made it through the program. In May and June 2007, Schlenkert failed a total of four attempts to pass a physical fitness test required by the academy and, as a result, could not complete the training. Nygren took that as refusal to follow a direct order and, through the sheriff's Merit Commission, had him fired in December 2007.

The suit, however, contends the real motive behind the firing wasn't Schlenkert's physical fitness, but his panic disorder, as well as retaliation for pair of discrimination complaints he filed with the Illinois Department of Human Rights. The state agency ultimately ruled that Schlenkert was not discharged or discriminated against, court records state.

Nygren deferred questions about the suit to John Kelly, the department's attorney on the case. Kelly did not return a call for comment.

It is the second time in about a year Schlenkert has sued the department since his dismissal. In January 2008, he sued to win back his job and ultimately won when a judge in December ruled there was no evidence Schlenkert could not fulfill his duties as a law enforcement officer.

Because the sheriff's department is appealing that ruling, Schlenkert has not been reinstated to duty.

The lawsuit case is scheduled to appear before a McHenry County judge for the first time June 29.
Link
Back to top Go down
https://growlersden.aforumfree.com

Page 1 of 1