Growlers Den
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Growlers Den

Carolina Panthers Football

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» CALLING ALL PANTHER FANS
Panthers should bounce back vs. poor Lions defense EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:28 pm by JohnDeezy89

» IT's Alive!!!!
Panthers should bounce back vs. poor Lions defense EmptySat Dec 03, 2011 11:25 pm by JohnDeezy89

» SAINTS: Ten things to look for when New Orleans Saints minicamp begins next weekend
Panthers should bounce back vs. poor Lions defense EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:25 am by PanthersRowell

» Colt Freaks - site for Colts fans
Panthers should bounce back vs. poor Lions defense EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:19 am by PanthersRowell

» The Sports Zone
Panthers should bounce back vs. poor Lions defense EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:16 am by PanthersRowell

» My article: Defensive Tackles
Panthers should bounce back vs. poor Lions defense EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:14 am by PanthersRowell

» Hi Everybody!
Panthers should bounce back vs. poor Lions defense EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:07 am by PanthersRowell

» Panthers add Newton (sore shoulder) to injury report as probable
Panthers should bounce back vs. poor Lions defense EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:05 pm by RayRay

» As Panthers' Smith climbs, Titans' Johnson keeps falling
Panthers should bounce back vs. poor Lions defense EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:04 pm by RayRay

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
September 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar

Panthers should bounce back vs. poor Lions defense

Go down 
AuthorMessage
G Killette
Admin
G Killette

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2008-10-18

Panthers should bounce back vs. poor Lions defense Empty
PostSubject: Panthers should bounce back vs. poor Lions defense   Panthers should bounce back vs. poor Lions defense EmptyFri Nov 14, 2008 4:40 pm

THURSDAY RECAP: Panthers should bounce back vs. poor Lions defense
Written by Steve Reed
11/13/2008 2:59:31 PM

http://www.carolinagrowl.com/Read.aspx?Story=854
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Del.icio.us | Print | Email | Font Size
CHARLOTTE -- Wide receiver Muhsin Muhammad said the Carolina Panthers are eager to put last week’s dismal performance on offense behind them and get to back to work Sunday against the 0-9 Detroit Lions.

The Panthers managed just 17 points against the Oakland Raiders (2-7).

The passing game was almost non-existent after Muhammad caught a 3-yard touchdown pass on the opening possession to give Carolina a 7-0 lead. Quarterback Jake Delhomme finished the game 7-of-12 for 72 yards with four interceptions and no touchdown pass (a QB rating of 12.3) and Steve Smith had just one catch for 9 yards.

However, the Panthers still won the game 17-6.

“I thought we ran the ball well, but we didn’t execute well in the passing game,” Muhammad said. “You are going to have games where you are not going to be perfect and not as efficient as you want to me. You are going to lack luster a little bit. But the sign of a great team is when the other two phases are able to pick up the slack.

"In specific, what happened? We didn’t play well. And I think everyone can take ownership of that. Not just Jake, but myself, Steve, D.J. Hackett, the offensive line... everyone can ownership on exactly what happened on that date. But the real sign of a great offense is how you respond to that. So we’re very anxious to get back on the field again.”

After the loss, the Panthers dropped to 22nd in the league in passing. But the Lions could be the perfect opponent to help Delhomme and company turn things around.

Detroit enters the game ranked 29th in the league in pass defense and has surrendered 15 touchdowns through the air, third-most in the league behind only Arizona (18) and San Diego (17). They are also 31st in points allowed per game (30.8).

NOTABLE: The Panthers were forced to move practice inside Thursday to what coach John Fox jokingly refers to as their “indoor facility.”

That, of course, is the cement concourse on the first floor of Bank of America Stadium, where there is barely enough room to move, let alone throw a pass.

“It got a little bit sloppy out there,” Fox said. “I thought we accomplished the things we needed to get done. Then we moved and finished inside in our indoor facility.”

INJURY UPDATE: No changes for the Panthers. Center Ryan Kalil (ankle) was held out of practice, while defensive tackle Darwin Walker (neck) was limited.

OPPONENT UPDATE: As if the Lions don’t have enough problems, both defensive ends Jared DeVries and Dewayne White did not practice on Thursday, while defensive tackle Corey Redding was limited. Also, middle linebacker Ernie Sims and free safety Dwight Smith sat out.

That doesn’t bode well for a team giving up 161.5 yards per game on the ground.

It does, however, mean DeAngelo Williams could be in for another huge game at home. He rushed for a career-high 140 yards last week against Oakland and has 297 yards and three touchdowns in his last three games at home. The Lions have surrendered 14 rushing touchdowns on the season.

INSIDE THE GAME: With fines reaching as much as $50,000 for illegal hits, NFL players are starting to take notice.

Panthers linebacker Thomas Davis said he’s cognizant of being fined when he steps on the field Sunday.

“If you care about your money you think twice about how you hit somebody,” Davis said. “The fine (system) works for me. If I know I’m going to get fined I’m pulling back and making a solid tackle. It really does take away some of your aggression, but it is what it is.”

BY THE NUMBERS: 5 – Number of games this season in which the Lions have surrendered at least 30 points.

THEY SAID IT: “You can’t get lulled looking at their record. You don’t want to be that team that gives them their first win. You don’t want to start off slow. You want to start off quick... You try to look at their positives. They fly around, they do a great job of hitting and tackling and causing fumbles. They are a team that hasn’t quit. That is very evident watching film.”

--Panthers WR Steve Smith on facing the 0-9 Detroit Lions.
Back to top Go down
https://growlersden.aforumfree.com

Panthers should bounce back vs. poor Lions defense
Page 1 of 1